[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

does running work your glutes, hams, and calves? I feel like

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4

File: girl-running-10k-md.png (9KB, 243x298px) Image search: [Google]
girl-running-10k-md.png
9KB, 243x298px
does running work your glutes, hams, and calves? I feel like my posterior chain is 9/10 now after years of running 10k's
>>
Any runners here?
>>
>>41600017
Stop trying to kill my gainz cardio bunny. I got goals to hit.
>>
>>41600187
what did you mean by this? You can lose weight and tone up by running.
>>
>>41600017
>>41600171

Me. But I mostly do it because it helps me relax.

The calorie burning is just a added bonus. And I have no fucking clue of it kills gains of not.
>>
>>41600017
does that "feeling" translate over to squats? if so then yes. what did you squat first day in the gym?

>inb4 estating
>>
>>41600505
I dont go to the gym, I am streetrunner masterrace
>>
>>41600533
then you have basically no posterior chain strength. sorry
>>
>>41600548
>hurr durr, the post
>>
>>41600571
not really. strength is about producing force. youve never tested or developed your strength so you dont really have any. be happy with being a good runner. Im a shit runner but strong. we should stay in our lanes
>>
>>41600607
>youve never tested or developed your strength so you dont really have any
do you know how stupid this sounds?
>>
>>41600631
it doesnt sound stupid at all. endurance exercise doesnt produce strength, it produces better endurance, so youve never developed strength. if youve never shown any strength, then you are, until proven otherwise, weak. if someone asks me what my best deadlift is, I dont tell them what I think Im capable of if I test my 1rm, I tell them what I hit for a 1rm even if it was a while ago and I could probably do more
>>
>>41600017
Not glutes so much. Calves depends on your gait: run with "minimal" shoes which force you to run on your toes for example and you will feel it in your calves the next day if you're not used to it.
>>
>>41600631
The anon you're replying to is correct. Unless you're doing a fuckload of sprinting you will have the bare minimum of muscle to deliver your race pace as anything extra is waste.
>>
running a fast 10k is roughly equivelent to 620 Wh
deadlifting 600 pounds for 3 reps is equivelent to 2.93 Wh assuming each rep takes 3 seconds and you don't count time elpased between reps.
>>41600729
Laughable since endurance is a major component of strength. The ability to produce force is only really useful for hitting things when you consider your biomechanics. Boxers do cardio.
>>
how do I keep my peroneal tendon from always seizing up when running this is hell it doesn't loosen up for another 3 miles once it starts
>>
>>41602062
elapsed*
>>41602073
i have no idea what that is but try asking a fucking doctor rather than dragging your broken little body through my glorious running thread. Take some time off. Walk for a while. Get to know your body. Don't break it again or you'll end up having to pay for it.
>>
>>41600395
>Tone
>>
>>41602062
stop trying to redefine strength so it describes you. if you cant generate force alot of force, youre not strong
>>
>>41602306
not trying to redefine anything. Wh is derived from force.
>>
>>41600017
running is cardio
>>
>>41603062
in relation to time. strength has nothing to do with time. it is a single, near maximal exertion of force
>>
Running teaches form, breathing, and endurance as well as killing body fat and giving you strong legs.

Now I'm beginning to train strength and would not go without a good amount of cardio. Biking, running, w/e, it gives you mad circulatory system gains that potentiates everything else

Even if you walk up/down stairs for 15-20 minutes warmup
>>
>>41600729
Running for long distance like 10ks works the slow twitch muscle fibers which are small and more durable, they get stronger via endurance workouts; trying to differentiate between endurance and strength is splitting hairs cause it doesn't work the larger fast twitch fiber muscles much at all. Sprinting on the other hand primarily works fast twitch fibers like the calves, abs, glutes, etc. which are larger in size and designed for short but intensive burst of energy. Running 10Ks would develop slow twitch fibers.
>>
>>41600607
So you don't generate force when moving your body outside of the gym? My life is a lie
>>
>>41603098
3600 joules for 3 seconds of that 10k vs 970 joules for 3 seconds of 600 lbs deadlift
>>
>>41603185
if sprints had much carry over to strength, they would be more integral to strength training. even is spints are intensive compared to LD running, its still low intensity compared to heavy squats for example
>>41603205
relatively small forces over distance or time, not maximal force
>>41603216
now your doing the same thing but with distance instead of time. energy exerted has nothing to do with how strong you are. producing force to overcome resistance does
>>
File: hypercrysys.png (15KB, 246x337px) Image search: [Google]
hypercrysys.png
15KB, 246x337px
>>41600017
yes you dong

google "gait analysis" and you can find exactly when certain muscles will be active
>>
>>41603302
force is in relation to distance faggot
>>
>>41603302
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hysterical_strength
powerlifters BTFO
>>
>>41603317
rather distance in part defines force
>>
>>41603317
f=m.a

strength is producing LARGE forces for SHORT periods or distances. you have tries to use energy and Wh to equate strength to endurance by saying that that producing a SMALL force over a LARGE distance or time results in equallt high energy or Wh

do you see the problem with your argument?
>>
File: 1495973213323.jpg (232KB, 554x548px) Image search: [Google]
1495973213323.jpg
232KB, 554x548px
>tfw the guy lifting 1kg 100 times ks as strong as the guy lifting 100kg one time

My life is a lie
>>
>strength is only squats and deadlifts

good job
>>
>>41603350
>Such examples, however, have not been proven and have been dismissed by doctors across the world

hmmmmmmmmmmmm. also, if this was real, a powerlifter would still be as proportionally strong. if a normie with adrenaline=average PLer strength, then a PLer on adrenaline would still be stronger
>>
>>41603460
no, but these are good indicators. what we can say for sure is that strength is NOT running fast
>>
>>41603410
No. Youre making up a definition if strength that is exclusive...and still if you include time in your own argument...you just say the time needs to be immeasurably minute...
>>
>>41603302
But sprinting is included in many strength training programs, it just isn't lifting so people overlook it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uxwh2IIg_Z0
>>
>>41603521
how else you you define strength. I suppose thing like carries/holds show strength and can be done for time/distance. but still have to involve producing maximal force against gravity. not in the realm of running
>>
>>41603553
shit video
t. Mid distance runner
>>
>>41603553
its used as GPP/cardio work. not to develop strength. GPP oriented training blocks are there to lay a foundation of general fitness so you dont get gassed and can recover from volume blocks
>>
>>41603461
>The extra strength is commonly attributed to increased adrenaline production, though supporting evidence is scarce, and inconclusive when available; research into the phenomenon is difficult, though it is thought that it is theoretically possible
It isn't wrong or right for certain. And those examples aren't powerlifters and they've achieved those things which are greater than what any powerlifter so it's possible to be stronger than them if you have the right adrenaline rush and they don't. People who've never deadlifted in their lives have been able to lift cars, I doubt most powerlifters would ever be able to without hysterical strength.
>>
>>41603553
this video contains GCSE tier "science". also, sprint athletes train with weights to develop ftmf
>>
>>41603569
I dunno how to define strength really. It's a virtue...there are strong chess players who would make poorly as lifters...it is perhaps the ability to do more than what is necessary
>>
>>41603601
Calves are fast twitch fiber muscle and are worked during sprinting among other muscles. My own claves doubled in sized by doing sprints, calf raises didn't do shit no matter how I was lifting, and a bigger muscle is a stronger muscle. There's enough slow twitch fibers in the posterior chain and legs that can hypertrophy enough to have healthy enough legs just be distance running.
>>
>>41603610
theres no source on any of this happening. and if it did, a trained individual would benefit from it more, as the have objectively more strength to be boosted

>>41603627
lamo. we're talking about physical strength here, not this hippy dippy "maybe the real strength was the friendship we made along the way" shit
>>
>>41603640
no. you may have developed calf hypertrophy from running. but unless tested we dont know how "strong" they are. and youre delusional if you thing posterior chain has enough involvement to have any significant gains
>>
so strength is a characteristic manipulation of energy beyond that which is needed.
physical strength is lifting lots metal for a TINY time period (time is not yet escapable) as not to make it look contrived.
>>
>>41603749
its the amount of force you can produce to move an object, or prevent an object from being moved. it has to be exerted on something else
>>
>>41603785
the ground. I am moving the ground.
>>
>>41603895
youre not. youre moving yourself in a horizontal plane to the ground. stop trying to come up with convoluted ways for you to be strong
>>
>>41603928
a) the direction of motion is relative to the person perceiving it
b) I am going to pay 15 dollars for a gym membership and will try deadlifting
c) you've tried running and were shit at it
d) with no training, weighing 118 pounds I benched 200 pounds in PE
e) time is physical and a component of every physical activity (just about)
f) to deny that endurance is at least partially physical is stupid
g) to deny that strength extends beyond the physical just means you haven't lived for very long
h) to expect to dictate what is strong for a runner as someone who has just been ousted as a shit runner is kinda totally lame!
>>
>>41604038
a)what are you trying to argue here
b)good
c)I run consistently and am certainly worse at it than I am powerlifting
d)doubt it, but if you did, it certainly has nothing to do with running. the two activities use completely different muscles as primary movers
e)yes, and Ive said the time periods must be short. obviously they arent no existent as thats impossible
f)endurance is 100% physical. youre trying to twist my words. it simply isnt strength
g)is this because of that strength of character/mind shit earlier, because we are specifically talking about muscular strength. thats what the thread is about
h)Im sorry, but running doesnt fall under the umbrella of strength. as I said earlier, be happy for what your good at. I dont try and claim I have good endurance because I can squat for reps of 10. we should stay in our lanes (or try to be good at the other thing under the rules of the other lane)
>>
File: Untitled.png (338KB, 475x387px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
338KB, 475x387px
>he goes to the gym
>out of breath from climbing stairs
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.