[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My lifters with depression and anxiety, and the habits that stem

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: feel.jpg (34KB, 740x740px)
feel.jpg
34KB, 740x740px
My lifters with depression and anxiety, and the habits that stem from them, how do you manage it?

I've been lifting for a little more than a year but it's on and off. Exercise often helps with my day-to-day symptoms but when I'm in a really bad episode it can fuck with my routine and I end up stress eating or drinking very heavily and frequently, getting caught in a cycle. I actively work on the stress eating through sheer mental discipline and by having foods like pickles, celery, and chewing gum around in case I break, been taking steps to help with drinking problem, and have been seeing a counselor but it's slow and only helps so much.
>>
Keep at it with the therapy.
Meditate. (Find some guided meditations on youtube)
Listen to audiobooks when walking/runing.
>>
>>41571599
>drinking
one of the worst possible things you can do while depressed. I've been there, had a year where I would drink to avoid any feelings. But you gotta stop.

Sort this out before anything else.
>>
>>41571599
Realize that self hatred is just an energy you can use to improve yourself. You gonna make it. If you are worthless then produce results that you can feel accomplished about.
>>
File: zero-gjuggs.gif (1MB, 697x522px) Image search: [Google]
zero-gjuggs.gif
1MB, 697x522px
>>41571599
hate myself and keep on keep on'ing
>>
>>41571599

Pray the rosary
>>
>>41571599
I stopped drinking because that made it worse. And I finally went to the doctor for depression. On Lexapro now. Helps a lot. Still get down sometimes but not enough to stop my day to day activities.
>>
>>41571618
ok admittedly I stopped going to therapy. My therapist talked about himself most of the time, often ended our sessions early, never wrote anything down, asked me the same questions over and over again, tried to advertise his new private practice, etc. I always left wanting to kill myself more than when I came in lol. Exploring new options this week.
Any specific meditation guides you'd recommend?

>>41571642
I know; I've been doing it since I was 17 (21 now) and it just feels so ingrained. Hit a milestone a couple weeks back, went a month without getting drunk, which is probably the longest I've gone since I turned 18. It's usually not hard to only do it once a week, but when I was younger and during particularly tough times now it could be 3-7 days of the week.
>>
>>41571705
Any negative side effects from Lexapro? I'm worried about ED because I already have some difficulties.
>>
>>41571599
Therapy did very little for me personally, after a year of getting nowhere I decided to try medication. First med (venlafaxine) made me very depressed, doc switched me to citalopram and it has been incredible for my anxiety. Side effects are minimal; had low sex drive for a few months but it came right; my lips tend to get dry easily. Been taking it for two years now and don't plan to stop.

I also take vitamin D and ashwagandha for anxiety. Hard to say if they're effective or not, but could be worth a try
>>
>>41571756
Not really. I was worried about ED too. I would get boners before by just thinking about a hot chick. Now I have to be looking at a hot chick or about to bone to get one. But that's about it.
And the withdrawal sucked for me. I went off of it for a week like an idiot and got really bad brain zaps.
>>
>>41571599
I'm diagnosed bipolar. Lifting is on and off as well because sometimes I forget to eat let alone drive to the gym. I'm not even supposed to be out driving sometimes anyway. Please stop drinking that makes everything a million times worse.
>>
I'm going to tell you exactly what worked for me. Meditate. You need to understand that meditation is the cure to all mental illnesses. For people with mental illness there minds are not working with them. Their thoughts are constantly telling them they are worthless or pathetic or whatever. 10 minutes of meditation a day shuts off thoughts for 24 hours and creates mental calmness. Mental illness comes from a weak brain and meditation is how you strengthen your brain, just as lifting weights strengthens your body. Do it 10-15 minutes a day for the rest of your life and in 4 months you will be cured. I promise. Read Zen Mind Beginner Mind if you don't know where to start. This is the only real long term solution unless you want to be on drugs your whole life, and meditation is more effective anyway. I know you can do 10 minutes a day OP and you know you can as well.
>>
I've got both anxiety and depression. I've been seeing a therapist that has helped me work through a lot of my problems and I feel like I'm really starting to get to where all my crap started.

I'm also taking celexa. It's been a life saver. I noticed some weight gain, but a small change in calories fixed that right up. Also, there's some minor sexual issues, but only really when I get high, and it's usually just getting it up, but once I'm there, I'm good to go.
>>
my depression always hits me at night but I wake up pissed it helps me get through the day but I don't think this is healthy
>>
smoke dope, get anxiety instead.
>>
i am cured of everything and the happiest i have ever been

it is like a fog has lifted from my mind

everything is now perfectly manageable but i need to actually quit smoking not just drastically cut down

but yeah i wish you all luck in your recoveries
>>
>>41574597
Switch over to vaping, thank me later.
After 1,5 years of smoking cigs, I had no problem whatsoever.

Nobody in the real world is going to pick on you for vaping.
>>
Forcing myself to the gym everyday gave me a sense of routine and achievement. When I was going through a bad time the first 1/3 of my session was horrendous but the positive vibes came as the reward circuits started firing.

Vitamin D tablets (500% RDA) seemed to sort out any contribution from seasonal affective disorder as well.
>>
>>41571920
>>41572493
>>41573343
>>41575677
Thanks for your contributions concerning medication. I've been avoiding it for so long because I'm afraid of all the side effects and how it would affect my personality. As far as Vitamin D goes, I had been taking Vitamin D supplements for a few months until recently. Didn't make a particular connection between taking it and any improvement in mood but might as well start my supplements back up again.

>>41572924
I can definitely do 10 minutes a day - working on time management has been a huge part of my process in not feeling like a POS at the end of the day and this will be another task to add. Thank you.

>>41573521
I'm no psychologist but flipping it around and using it as motivation until you're able to better manage it seems quite alright to me

>>41575051
>>41574597
I second the vaping - I tried to quit cigarettes several times before I was actually able to do it, and tapering off combined with vaping actually worked. I don't even vape anymore. Depending on your environment it could be really easy to relapse (in my case at least 90% of my friends smoke cigarettes) so when I quit I carried a full pack on me anyway to try to build discipline. Idk if I would recommend that to everyone but it's what I did.

I was struggling to hold out until the liquor store closed last night and this thread helped me in succeeding so thanks for sharing everyone. Going to try to clear out enough space in my house today to set up this squat rack that I just bought; having the equipment in my house provides 0 excuses for missing a day and I'm hoping this will help a lot.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.