[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are pickles a good dieting snack? They have a shit ton of sodium

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: 1200px-Pickle.jpg (63KB, 1200x413px) Image search: [Google]
1200px-Pickle.jpg
63KB, 1200x413px
Are pickles a good dieting snack? They have a shit ton of sodium (which I need) and barely any calories. Is there some trickery I'm not informed on as to why they might be bad for me?
>>
>>41523881
May as well hop on this thread too.

>Is sauerkraut a good dieting snack?
I make my own, literally just cabbage and kosher salt.
>>
>>41524036
yes

>>41523881
too much sodium is kidney stones
>>
>>>41523881
>too much sodium is kidney stones

this is a meme, sodium is good for you
>>
>>41523881
you're gonna have a fucking heart attack
>>
>>41524043
if you are adult you don't get kidney stone

you get adultney stone
>>
File: IMG_20170521_015130.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170521_015130.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
yes they are really good
>>
Mmm! Mmm! Mmm! Tasty!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgWn7zbgxZ4
>>
>>41525834
those are all B-tier pickles anon.
>>
>>41523881
cucumbers are good for you, and vinegar is good for you... so I think pickles would be good for you.

>>41524036
Even better is kraut that has probiotics.
>>
>>41523881
>>41524036

If you make your own with culture instead of salt, then yes
>>
>>41526848
This is a troll right?
>>
>>41526848
?
There are cultures for other things, like Kombucha or trying to make your own yogurt, but I don't remember hearing of such a thing for sauerkraut.
All I remember is to not make it with vinegar. If you make the sauerkraut with vinegar you're not really fermenting it, you're just sterilizing it and just pickling the cabbage.
Supposedly salt is part of some chemical reaction between the cabbage and some bacteria in the plant.
>>
>>41527114
No culture is needed. The bacteria naturally exists on cabbage and to a lesser degree cucumbers. The salt kills or inhibits growth of undesirable bacteria, promotes growth of good bacteria and breaks down to cellular membrane of the veggies. This allows the veggies to release water and carbohydrates which further encourage growth of the good bacteria and prevents growth or kills more undesirable bacteria thus kicking off the fermentation in an ideal environment. Pickles, I believe, should be made in a liquid that includes some brine that has bacteria like the leftover liquid from kraut.
>>
>>41527251
>Pickles, I believe, should be made in a liquid that includes some brine that has bacteria like the leftover liquid from kraut.
Good to know.
>>
>>41525800
noice
>>
>>41527251
Why aren't the "good" bacteria killed by the high concentration of salt?
I read that you can use the culture from making pima or kefir as a starter instead of a high salt concentration.
>>
>>41527871
Certain Lactobacillus bacteria, ones that are relevant to this whole process, are specifically "salt-tolerant".
>>
>>41523881
Ive been snacking on carrots all the time now, sometimes i dip them in low fat yoghurt

nice
>>
>>41527912
Interesting, I didn't know that.
I retract my previous idiocy >>41526848
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.