[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

http://www.menshealth.co.uk/buildin g-muscle/get-big/how-oft

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 3

File: 1473937422867.jpg (23KB, 367x330px) Image search: [Google]
1473937422867.jpg
23KB, 367x330px
http://www.menshealth.co.uk/building-muscle/get-big/how-often-should-you-train-each-muscle-group
>After 15 weeks, it was the 6-day group who made the fastest progress. On average, strength gains in the big three moves – the bench press, deadlift and squat – were roughly twice as great as those seen in the 3-day group
>[you will see twice the gains if you do a 1 set full body workout 6 days a week relative to 3-set targeted workouts 3 times a week]
Have I been lifting wrong all these years?
>>
It's simple really.

more work = more results
>>
>>41400547
No, it says right there that working until you are painful with drop sets to exhaustion is not the way to do it. One set of every muscle group 6 times a week produces twice the gains.

So no leg day until you can't walk up the stairs.
>>
>>41400547
Literal retard
>>
This study wasn't done on trained individuals.
>>
so me doing full body workout 3 times a week as a beginner trying to build muscle is pointless and i could be getting way better results?
>>
>>41400598
No.
>>
>>41400598
yes
>>
>>41400573

>our bodies need rest bro!!! The human body can only train 3 hours a week, it needs 48 hours of pure rest to recover from just 1 hour of exercise!

Kill yourself
>>
File: 1492591381117.jpg (90KB, 544x756px) Image search: [Google]
1492591381117.jpg
90KB, 544x756px
>>41400607
>>41400628
>>
>>41400497
wow lets train beginners and see if those that work more get more gains. wow

maybe we can get a study done on intermediate people for a change so we can get results that actually matter.
>>
>>41400640
He didn't say that. And every source I've come across agrees the muscle mass comes from the rebuilding, not the tearing down.
>>
>After training a muscle, protein synthesis is raised for anywhere between 36-48 hours. Then it drops back to normal. And if you’ve been lifting for many years, the rise is over a lot more quickly.
Mmm, yes, protein synthesis.
>>
>>41400685
FCK off loser this is a thread for people who actually lift not pseudo lifters like you that Ross's d unbbrll ecer dhdut and think that a quarter curl with 20 pounds is giving you mascie 'ceps
>>
>>41400708
Are you alright?
>>
>>41400708
Do you smell burnt toast?
>>
>>41400497
I do full body 5-6 days a week now and it has fucking made the gains train rolling.
Do no more than one exercise per muscle group and switch between heavy and light days, maybe throw in a medium day too.
>>
>>41400640
Holy shit how fucking retarded can one man be
Read the article you extra chromosome
>>
>>41400727
The article did a study with just one set per day per muscle though. That starkly contrasts the way I'm lifting now. How many sets do you do? Do you max out by the end? I can't imagine maxing out every day of the week.
>>
>>41400727

>I do full body 5-6 days a week now and it has fucking made the gains train rolling.

I currently do fullbody 3x a week, but about 2 exercises per muscle group. 3 for chest. Might just do this.
>>
>>41400727
Give program
>>
This makes sense for beginners who's nerve system isn't used to the movements yet. What about trained individuals looking for hypertrophy?
>>
>>41400836
I will argue it's better for hypertrophy ss setting new pr's might get hard when you smack every muscle every day
>>
>>41400836
The study was done with people that had "several years of lifting experience". The follow-up group consisted of "elite Norwegian powerlifters"

What about how they are described makes you think they are beginners.
>>
>>41400497
A lot of people with impressive squat numbers do it every day.
If you want bigger calves it's often recommended that you work them out every day, same with pull-ups.
Muscles are incredibly sturdy, it's your tendons and ligaments you have to be careful not to damage doing full body every day.
>>
File: meanwhile_in_sweden.jpg (20KB, 458x322px) Image search: [Google]
meanwhile_in_sweden.jpg
20KB, 458x322px
>>41400865
>norwegian
Well THERE'S your problem.
>>
tl;dr version
do 1 set to failure for every muscle group 5-6 times a week for maximum gains?
>>
What if I do 2 sets 6 times a week? What if I throw in accessories?
>>
>>41400598
maybe
>>
>>41401001
2 sets 6 times a week will make your muscles shrink faster than your father's dick when your mother squeezes her saggy body out of her tube top. and i doubt buying a purse will help.
>>
why is rest so overblown amongst weightlifting faggots?

look at people that do endurance sports, that shit is way harder and way more catabolic and damaging to your body than lifting weights, yet most people who do it competitively do it 6 days a week

is rest a meme pushed by wieghtlifting article writers/websites trainers so people reading their shit never gain muscle so they are hooked on reading 'how to gain muscle' over and over?
>>
>>41401367
I don't know if it's a meme but the last line is often true.
Most of their readers don't lift.

Still waiting for >>41400727 routine.
>>
>>41401367
Weight training != cardio
>>
>>41401367
>most people who do it competitively do it 6 days a week
competitive lifters also lift every day of the week.
most people on /fit/ aren't professional oly lifters though. most people on /fit/ aren't competing at powerlifting meets or bodybuilding contests either. most of us are just hobbyists.
>>
>>41400497

This was done on beginners I take it

Virtually every single lifter and gymrat got most of his gains training a bodypart once-twice a week.

This can be due to genetics(people with higher muscle protein synthesis baseline can get away with training less frequently), steroids(muscle protein synthesis basically gets elevated all the time without even training, or the fact that they were beginners.

Beginners need to do less work than intermediates and most advanced people because they are detrained and get a lot out of minimal work.

So a set a day is very easy to recover from(beginners suffer inflammation and recover slower than advanced lifters because their body isn't used to it), and at the same time as a beginner it's enough volume to stimulate growth.

Advanced lifters however need fewer sessions or at least frequent "recovery" sessions to prevent chronic recovery and stagnation and more volume density on some days in order to stimulate growth enough.

This shit has been tested countless times, even people who train everyday need to do more volume than one set on each given session in order to stimulate growth.
>>
>>41402079
>This was done on beginners I take it
Why do people keep saying this? It literally says one study was done on people with years of experience, and the other was done on experienced powerlifters.
>>
>>41400497

Layne norton who's probably the most likely natty in the whole fitness industry but also actually lifts got the vast majority of his gains training a muscle group once a week, just look at his trainin on BB forums, he did a bro split just like everyone else.

In fact most people TODAY train like this, it's very very common.

Shot put athletes bench insane numbers and they usually bench once a week
A lot of powerlifters still train a lift once a week

Myself I feel like I gain little to no gains training a bodypart once a week, and I don't understand why, even if I drain myself in volume on that given session, I just end up fatiguing myself way too much while at the same time I detrain by the time next week come sup.
>>
so whats the optimal solution?
>>
>>41402167

I just read it, you're right.

It's interesting cause the best gains I ever had was training squats twice a week for like 5 sets each session, far more gains than doing 1 set every day or 10 sets in one day.
I feel like there's still a limit in terms of volume per session for more advanced lifters though.

And just to clarify something, the first study that was done on beginners had them doing 9 different excercises each session, 3 sessions a week right?
It's safe to say that at least some of those excercises worked the same muscles, further giving more volume of work done per body part each.
>>
>>41400598
kys
>>
I don't give a flying fuck about your study. The best way to find out what routine grants the most gains is to try them all and figure it out yourself. One routine doesn't work for everybody.
>>
Did they test if it was better to do 3 sets of full body 6 times a week vs 1 set?
>>
>>41401367
Because rest is anabolic
>>
>>41402351
why?
>>
>>41402201
>Shot put athletes bench insane numbers and they usually bench once a week
>A lot of powerlifters still train a lift once a week
>Myself I feel like I gain little to no gains training a bodypart once a week
>I don't understand why

because all those athletes, powerlifters, oly lifters, and internet lifters are on roids while you are natty.
if you're on test-e and tren, you can still make massive gains even if all you do in the gym is fuck around on the smith machine and leg press once a week .
>>
>>41400497
>men's health as a source
into the trash it goes. think of this thread every time some guy on 4chan makes fun of girls "health magazines" and realize you are all just as bad, if not worse for the lack of self awareness
>>
>>41402552
this tbqh

what man reads a magazine

shit real men shouldn't even be able to read
>>
>>41402406
Read the fucking article jesus christ why are people even posting without reading the article it's like 4 fucking paragraphs... FUCK
>>
>>41402552
They referenced a study, so they didn't just come up with shit
>>
>>41402552
>>41402569
Can't you people read? It references a paper from the University of Alabama. Here's another page referencing the article if you want more specifics.

http://www.cbass.com/TrainingFrequency.htm
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.