[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fit/, Packaged veggies. Yay or nay? I like the convenience

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

/fit/,

Packaged veggies. Yay or nay? I like the convenience of it, but I wonder how much of it is denatured by the time I steam 'em. Thoughts?
>>
>>41382352
iirc there's no appreciable difference between fresh/frozen/canned veggies as far as nutrients go
>>
>>41382352
The company I work for has this program for people to get in shape, and they hired this personal trainer/nutritionist to offer advice, and he says that prepackaged veggies are "baloney", but my whole thing is, aren't the veggies packed and frozen at the peak of their nutritional value?
>>
>>41382364
Shit, see>>41382397
>>
>>41382397
yes, they are. and it's been shown in SOME cases that the frozen veggies actually retain more of their nutrients than equally aged fresh veggies because of the freezing process

https://www.google.com/search?q=nutrients+in+frozen+vs+fresh+vegetables&oq=nutrients+frozen+vs+&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l4.5089j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

now, like i said, it's hardly a notable difference, but someone claiming that fresh veggies have "more nutrients" than frozen veggies is a nutcase who doesn't know what they're talking about
>>
>>41382352
Huge convenience. It's easy to make a few cups for dinner and lunch the following day. Throw in some minced garlic, drizzle soy sauce, tastes great.
>>
>>41382352
Frozen are often more nutrient packed because they are harvested and frozen when the vegetable is in season and most nutritious. I always go frozen for price/convenience.
>>
I thought the point of salads is to keep you full for few calories. Wtf is this about nutritional value?
>>
>>41382397
Yes.

The only worry might be if they use preservatives prior to the freezing/packing process, like if they needed to be shipping to a plant for packing so preservatives were used before shipping.
>>
>>41382352
Freezing doesn't usually change the chemical makeup of biomolecules. Heating can change the folding of proteins but as long as they don't denature they would return to the folded state. Significant heating would definitely break them down though

The nutritional difference is probably insignificant, but you might prefer the taste of the non-frozen stuff
>>
>>41382397

Hurr durr muh bro-science
>>
>>41383657
Calories and macronutrients aren't the only component of good nutrition...
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.