[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Intermittent Fasting a meme? Be honest. If not, how effective

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 259
Thread images: 14

File: IF.jpg (294KB, 600x480px) Image search: [Google]
IF.jpg
294KB, 600x480px
Is Intermittent Fasting a meme? Be honest. If not, how effective is it for cutting? Say, in one month, how much bf% can you drop if you adhere to it loyally? Tell me about your experiences.
>>
>>41338235
another bamb? or do I have to disguise this as a manlet hate thread to fish for replies?
>>
>>41338235
It's just a mental trick to consume fewer calories, on the same tier as skipping breakfast.
It doesn't matter what times you eat at, only how much.
>>
>>41338235

I imagine most of the A U G M E N T E D M E T A B O L I S M shit is memes but it is a good tool for managing calorie intake.
>>
>>41338235
Wtf are these words. Just simply say you skip a meal lmao what's so fancy about that??? You skip a fucking meal then you eat less and has less fat

Holy shit whole fitness industry is full of retards who pretend to be smart
>>
got the image in high res?
>>
>>41338388
Its basically hey look at me I can use diction to sound semi intelligent while saying absolutely nothing
>>
to the retards that say it's just skipping a meal to eat less calories overall, nope.

if you eat THE SAME amount of calories you normally do, but do it in the 8 or less hour window, you STILL get the benefits of IF.

HGH is produced during fasting. to most people, by the time they wake up, they had barely started producing HGH or worse, haven't started at all. if you want to guarantee HGH production, you need to fast 12 hours straight.

also, fasting is the easiest way to get healthy. if you have food on your stomach, especially carbs, your body will NOT fix your cold, your allergy or whatever you're sick with. it's the whole reason you go to sleep, so your body can digest the food, THEN AFTERWARDS use the energy to fix whatever need fixing.

SLEEPING IS FASTING WHILE NOT SPENDING ENERGY.

by fasting, you extend the time your body spends fixing itself with the energy you consumed the previous day. eating will stop the "fixing" and re-start the insulin loop of saving energy for whenever you're fasted.

if you only fast while you're sleeping, you're NOT giving your body enough time to fix itself. it'll spend most of your sleep (5-6 hours out of the 8) just breaking down the food you ate.

THREE HOURS OF HEALING IS NOT ENOUGH.

you'll wake up sluggish, sore, unfocused.

I DARE anyone to fast and say they can't feel how sharp their mind gets after 12 hours of fasting.

fix your insulin, increase HGH, increase focus, improve your skin, lose weight.

that's fasting.

dr. jason fung has ALL the links to research on it - everything has been proven beyond any doubt.
>>
>>41339255
quotes Jason Fung and not Dr. Joel Wallach and doesn't post Fungs links.

One of them is in the Smithsonian for his research and one of them is not. I'll trust Dr. Joel Wallach thank you very much...the guy in the Smithsonian..
>>
>>41339285
OP here.
What about this Joel Wallach?
>>
>>41339255
how do i figure out how i need to fast for its positive effects?
>>
>>41338235
Fact: It's a meme.
>>
>>41339255
Intermittent fasting is also really good because it also mean you're doing intermittent keto , it get even better when you do keto + If desu .
>>
look its another anti carb shitpost
>>
>>41340887
>>41340983
i'm currently doing alternate-day fasting + Keto. I just skip a day of eating, and then eat any keto foods I want the next. I'm usually full as heck on the eating days, so it's hard to go over my calorie target. The fasting days are getting easier. I just have a cup of tea/coffee when I feel like eating, have a cup of chicken broth in the afternoon, and drink water all day.

another month or two of this and I should be at my target weight.
>>
>>41341090
Nice, don't forget that it is not only a weight loss tool and is actually the most healthy way of living / eating , don't drop it after target , you can even bulk up and gain muscle on it .
>>
>>41338235
I can't read that shit, got a bigger image?
>>
>>41338235
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26374764

a study you can read, doesn't go into long term effects, but clearly substantial short term benefits for overall health and weight loss
>>
>>41339285
>Trusting government paid scientists
SHIGGY
>>
File: ay.jpg (285KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
ay.jpg
285KB, 720x720px
>>41338235
I've been doing 20/4 fasting on a high protein, medium fat, low carb cut for the past 40 days at 1700-1900 cals per day

I still got a ways to go but it's working for me so far. Give it a try, I like it
>>
>>41338235
It's very effective, in fact its so effective that it's got really popular leading to a contrarian backlash where its called a meme.

It's the easiest way to lose weight and has a bonus of keeping your gains.
>>
>>41341634
>https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26374764
>However, some studies indicate that neither alternate-day fasting nor whole-day fasting provides greater body composition improvements than isocaloric caloric restriction.23,19,64 The extremely limited number of time-restricted feeding studies precludes definitive conclusions about this form of intermittent fasting

anon, I...

try this

http://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/fullarticle/2623528
>Alternate-day fasting does not produce superior weight loss or weight maintenance compared with daily calorie restriction.
>>
>>41341703
?? where does it say that.

Intermittent fasting is a broad term that encompasses a variety of programs that manipulate the timing of eating occasions by utilizing short-term fasts in order to improve body composition and overall health. This review examines studies conducted on intermittent fasting programs to determine if they are effective at improving body composition and clinical health markers associated with disease. Intermittent fasting protocols can be grouped into alternate-day fasting, whole-day fasting, and time-restricted feeding. Alternate-day fasting trials of 3 to 12 weeks in duration appear to be effective at reducing body weight (≈3%-7%), body fat (≈3-5.5kg), total cholesterol (≈10%-21%), and triglycerides (≈14%-42%) in normal-weight, overweight, and obese humans. Whole-day fasting trials lasting 12 to 24 weeks also reduce body weight (≈3%-9%) and body fat, and favorably improve blood lipids (≈5%-20% reduction in total cholesterol and ≈17%-50% reduction in triglycerides). Research on time-restricted feeding is limited, and clear conclusions cannot be made at present. Future studies should examine long-term effects of intermittent fasting and the potential synergistic effects of combining intermittent fasting with exercise
>>
>>41341677
What do your meals look like? I can't even fathom low carb meals that are a reasonable calorie count.
>>
>>41341703
Also from your link:

" alternate-day fasting (25% of energy needs on fast days; 125% of energy needs on alternating “feast days”)"

So they literally lose similar amounts without restricting calories.

true I/F cutting would be fasting AND restricting calories which would mean it would be more effective than just caloric restriction.
>>
>>41340338
bump

anyone?
>>
>>41341781
there are many different ways, you could do 20/4, 16/8, alternate day fasting. whatever fits into your life style. generally 12/12 would be the LEAST i would recommend since glycogen is depleted from the liver after 12 hours of fasting
>>
>>41341802
but doesn't that depend on the person, e.g. maybe it's 14 hours for me?

do you maybe have a source?
>>
>>41341737
>Where does it say that
In the article, don't tell me that you just read the abstract?
>>41341771
>Without restricting calories
It says isocaloric
>>
IF makes it more tolerable being on a significant caloric deficit, that is the main thing. calories in calories out still remains the king. from personal experience i can say that it def helped to lose weight, i went from 92 kg to 82 kg in little more than a month while making significant gains in hym
>>
>>41341752
>What do your meals look like?
8oz of beef 80/20
4oz of chicken breast
20oz of cottage cheese
16oz of spinach
4-6oz of broccoli
1 Tablespoon of croutons
3 scoops of whey

That's what I've been eating pretty much every single day. I also mix jello with cottage cheese to make it taste sweeter.

All of the measurements were estimated the best I could without a food scale.
>>
>>41341819
Not that guy but go look in the archive. The last IF thread had a shitload of info and graphs in it. No im not going to spoon feed it to you go find it yourself.
>>
>>41342213
link to that thread would be appreciated.
>>
>>41342235
anyone?
>>
>>41342235
>>41342426
nigger go find it i already told you. Dont you know how to sue the damn archive?
>>
>>41342455
no, i don't.
never used it.
how would i search for it?
>>
File: cuddle_part_1_1_360_360_90.jpg (37KB, 360x360px) Image search: [Google]
cuddle_part_1_1_360_360_90.jpg
37KB, 360x360px
>>41338235
It's slightly better than a meme, slightly worse than broscience
>>
>>41342474
this is insane
click archive
ctrl+f
IF or Intermittent fasting
come back here and post the info for all to enjoy
I beleive in you fat boy dont fail me
>>
>>41342500
there is no archive link anywhere on this page?
>>
Ive done it for the past year lately ive been eating like shit Im getting back into eating good again but when I did it plus ate good

I sleep better which is hard for me

Had better lifts while fasted even though I crapped out I put up higher numbers

Could see weekly fat loss in mirror alot less flab

Dropped my blood glucose,cholesterol and blood pressure was perfect

I do believe it is better for overall health there is alot of evidence.

Dropping carbs does help alot to for fat loss but dropping to much can hurt progress.When I did keto I was only eating 10 grams of carbs now then I was able to get up to 50 grams and still be in keto I also put all carbs post workout
>>
Can anyone redpill me on the warrior diet?
>>
>>41342566
wtf
Is this bait? Dude is this your first time on 4 chan???
>>
>>41342638
been on /fit/ for years.
just never used the archive.
>>
>>41342650
Its the same on all boards you baiter.
>>41320574
>>
>>41342678
i only go on /fit/, so i wouldnt know about other boards.
thanks for the link, but i really still dont know how to search the archive.
ctrl+f "archive" only shows posts mentioning it, no link or button.
>>
>>41342702
jesus ok you click catalog then click archive
>>
>>41342737
oh, that's pretty easy, thanks.
never used the catalog before, looks cool.
>>
I use it as an easy way to reduce my calories but I never noticed anything really magical about it. It is a great and simple strategy if you want to cut but at the end of the day you still need to adhere to your TDEE.
>>
File: wine.jpg (85KB, 1200x630px) Image search: [Google]
wine.jpg
85KB, 1200x630px
>>41338235
welcome to the club, anon
>>
>>41341883
>20oz of cottage cheese in 1 sitting
i love cottage cheese but jesus christ dude
>>
is fasting a good idea for me if I go to gym right after breakfast in the morning?

I mean if I start fasting I'd have to wake up, go to the gym without breakfast and wait until later in the day until I can drink my protein shake, too.
>>
>>41338235
Ive been doing it for about two months OP. I would do it with garcina cambogia 30 mins before eating. I started at 186. I am now 172
>>
>>41342872
are you a fatass or a skelly?
>>
>>41342862
Cottage cheese is amazing.
They got so much of it in my chow hall, and not a lot of people touch it
>>
>>41343142
prison?
>>
>>41343227
No dude military
>>
>>41343250
no shit i was joking.
Branch?
If you say AF go kill yourself
>>
>>41343259
AF Reserves
fight me faggot
>>
>>41343270
hahahahah omg dude
Not only are you in the AF which is bad enough but youre a pussy reservist as well?
How the fuck do you even look at yourself in the mirror dude?
>>
>>41343259
This dude >>41343270 isn't me. I don't know what he's on about.

Corpsman for 2nd marine division. In shitty old Lejeune. You in the service as well?
>>
>>41343348
word, what do you do in the marines, I dont have all the MOSs memorized.
Out now, starting uni in the fall with that sweet Gi Bill. Was Navy at 32nd street san diego senpai. did my 2 deployments and got out.
>>
>>41343364
Navy 8404. FMF Corpsman. Originally had a contract to go to BRC during field med, but I dropped myself. The fear of not being a good recon doc to those marines got to me, and even though I physically qualified, I didn't feel like I was good enough.

So now I'm stuck with Tanks skating and occasionally seeing some dude with lower back or knee problems.

How was it getting out? Honestly kind of looking forward to that individual freedom again senpai
>>
>>41338235
Nice image. 600 x 480. That is full screen on my Apple II personal computer. I hear Brazil is a wonderful diverse place, why don't you go their on your vacation.
>>
>>41343428
>Navy 8404. FMF Corpsman
Nice
>BRC
Whats that? is that like SARC?
>getting out
What do you want to know?
The process was annoying but once it was done i was completely home free. Try and save up leave to sell back for a nice bonus when you get out.
>>
>>41338235
I cant read shit in your info graphic. Kys
>>
>>41343487
Yep, SARC. The community is seriously small and tight, it's insane.

>What do you want to know?
Lol I just want to vicariously feel the same feels you did when you got out. What was your rate and how long were you in for?
>>
>>41343514
OS2 when i got out. Only in for 4 senpai. It was so anti-climactic but it felt amazing.
My ship was finishing out 7month deployement and i flew out of guam and the very end of it to head back a few weeks early to start my medical shit to get out and attend taps class. I was at tpu for like 3 weeks i beleive. Anyway it was chill as hell and it was the skatest 3 weeks of my life. Anyway the morning of my out-process was my appointment. I had no disability and wasnt claiming shit so all i did was meet a doc and get a signature. Then walked over to this small random ass building that had a bunch of civilians in it. Some philipino and me went over my paperwork, he had me sign a few things then say ok youre out. I was like wow seriously? And he said ya youre good to go and that was literally it. I mean i didnt expect a ceremony or anything but it was so weird for it to be so casual and easy. Anyway i flew out later that night and that was it.
>>
>>41338235
It's legit. IF does the following:

-Gives your digestive system a break and time to heal from all the nonsense you consume.
-Promotes autophagy where your body eats it's old and worn out cells, especially immune cells.
-Has a protein sparring effect if you have enough protein and stay lower carb.
- Great for overall health and weight loss.
-Boosts HGH by like 1000%.
-A lot of other good shit.

If you do IF, I recommend high (healthy) fat, medium protein, low carb.
>>
Why has IF become the new fad for low carb bro sciencers?

Low carb is bullshit, stop acting like otherwise.
>>
>>41338235
IF for weight loss is probably just as good as anything but the real utility of IF is you're a faggot
>>
>>41343654
I guess they advocate it so people will stay away from sugary shit.
>>
>>41343728
>science vs this mens health faggot
Kek
>>
>>41343624
I started it this week, but Im finding i get this huge burst of energy at midnight and then again at like 3am. Ive been getting up and doing stuff whch is great and all but Im wondering if you or anyone else experienced this sudden energy burst at night?
>>
As a big ol' lardass, I find IF to help alot. It's much easier to say "I'm not eating yet," than to say, "Oh, I can eat, but only so much." When you're getting all your calories for the day in a much smaller window, you feel less deprived overall, or at least that's how it feels personally.
>>
>>41343654
Because all of these diets keep people away from sugar which is a good thing
>>
>>41342750
You don't have to be nice here, you faggot.

Nobody's going to give you upboats.
>>
>>41341883
This meal made me laugh, but good job m8. Looks pretty healthy, you're looking great. Do you train fasted or take BCAAs or anything?
>>
File: 08_intermittentfasting[1].jpg (1MB, 600x2310px) Image search: [Google]
08_intermittentfasting[1].jpg
1MB, 600x2310px
>>41338235
I would like to find the original infographic in OP. I could only find this one.
>>
>>41343624

This happens when you fast for 48-72 hours, not when you fast for 16 hours.

16 hours won't even get your insulin to baseline, which is what this whole metabolic change is predicated upon.

But yes, proper fasting is beneficial, but again that's not 16-18 hour fasting, you'll need to go over 24 hours to net the benefits.

Yes 48-72 hour fasts will:

Boost GH significantly (a product of metabolic changes designed to spare muscle as the body switches to a primary ketone based metabolism).

Restore insulin sensitivity (self-explanatory, in the absence of glucose the insulin will drop)

Promote autophagy (total immune system recycling & remodelling begins after 72 hours).

Begin catabolising plaque deposits in vasculature (i.e. start breaking down atherosclerosis which contributes to CAD)

Temporarily removes the systemic inflammation that comes from eating.

Intriguingly, fasting seems to avoid the BMR suppression that typically comes from dieting

If you wanted to characterise it simply: fasting induces consolidation as opposed to a postabsorptive states proliferation.

There's also fluffy stuff that has some foundation but needs to be substantiated: e.g. neurogenesis, stem cell renewal, it's telomere protective properties. But yeah, remains unforeseen.
>>
>>41345436
OP here. (To all the anons who were asking for a higher res image of the one in the OP, that was all I could find)
Do you have any studies that talk about fasting for 48-72 hours? I'm doing 16/8 today, and I'm an 80 kg, 26% bf fatass. My whole diet up to this point was low-carb (only carb I ate was the slow-acting kind), no dairy, no fruits, high-protein, only source of fat was olive oil, and a binge day per week. I dropped from 100 kg to 80 kg in, I'm guessing about a bit more than 2 years, and I'm not satisfied at all.

Should I do 48-72 fasting while keeping my mode of eating as it is, or perhaps change it? Oh, and I've been walking an hour a day lately, should I stop when fasting?
>>
You'll result int he same weightloss as from CICO but it's just an appetite control mechanism.
If you like large meals then IF might be for you.
>>
>>41346895
CICO was a part of what I was doing this whole, but I stagnated, and thought IF might help. Appetite control is nothing to me since I don't have much of an appetite, sometimes I forget to eat throughout the day, which is why I thought I could do IF easily.
>>
>>41346919
How long have you been stagnate?
Could be a simple plateau, usually last max a month, take measurements with a tape measure to see actual progress.
If it's longer than a month your CICO is fucked. check you're using the right TDEE and what you're eating
>>
>>41346961
I don't remember honestly, the diet kinda became natural to me and I lost track, I'm not sure how long I've been stagnating, but I'm 100% it's more than one month, maybe three or so. I keep track of my calories and TDEE, the only answer I got on /fit/ was that I'm not keeping track (which I 100% are, I have a kitchen scale), or that I'm defying the laws of physics. So I thought "fuck it, I'll do IF, let's see if it'll work".
>>
>>41347002
If you've been stagnant for longer than 1 month your eating is off.
recalculate your tdee, use MFP, and make sure you weigh and log everything.
Start logging your weigh ins and measurements, there's a couple different different apps such as happy scales or libra depending on your phone brand.

There is also some medical conditions that would result in extended plateaus, but there's extremely rare.
>>
>>41338235
Do you have a non-emo, not for ants version of this picture?
>>
>>41347019
I calculate my TDEE periodically. I don't use MFP since I calculate my calories from nutrition labels and the portion size measurements from the kitchen scale. This is what's frustrating me. Honest to God, my eating has not changed at all and I'm still keeping track, and I do have a log. I weigh in on the morning of my weekly binge days on an empty stomach, and have 2 or 3 cups of coffee to flush my intestines out as much as I could, and I also measure bone mass% (currently 8.5%. Yeah, my bone mass is shit), water weight% (currently 54 - 53.8%), and body fat% (currently 26.0%).

I have been told that also.

So, since it's not working, and no one's sure why, I'm gonna do IF and hope it gets me back on track.
>>
>>41347055
That's all I could find, anon.

The one >>41345401 posted is almost identical though.
>>
>>41344867
This guy gets it
>>
>>41347076
....you have a weekly binge day?
How much are we talking here? because a binge can easily erase a weeks worth of progress.
>>
>>41347082
Yeah just scrolled down to the bigger infographic, thanks for starting the thread.
>>
>>41347122
Like 2500 calories, since I only eat 700 - 850 calories per day or so. Maybe even less on average.

I know exactly what you're gonna say. "It doesn't add up. You're bullshitting or doing something wrong", it's far more frustrating for me than it is puzzling for anyone, so I wanna ditch whatever I'm doing right now and start fresh.
>>
>>41347155
Then start fresh.
Recalculate your TDEE, download MFP, eat at a 500cal deficit, weigh all your food, and no more bingeing.

Weigh yourself either weekly or daily, up to you just depends on how your brain works, take measurements once a week, usually stuff like thighs, bicep, waist, neck, and log it all down with dates.

As far as treats go, you can choose either moderation or nothing at all. Moderation is for people who has to have a treat every now and then otherwise they cave and binge. Nothing at all is for people who can't stop at just one.

i get the feeling the foods you are eating in general probably aren't fantastic but that should resolve itself as you're forced to find less calorie dense food.

Take baby steps as well, no need to make insane changes right away
Good luck anon
>>
>>41346895
Thats kinda the point. It is why CICO fails for long term fat loss/maintenance. Your hunger/urge to eat food increases plus your metabolism plummets, this is why theres no the biggest loser reunion because most of them became fat again
>>
>>41347178
(the only thing you mentioned which I haven't been doing is tape measurements and cutting off binges)

For fuck's sake I should have known it was a bunch of memery.

As for what I've been eating, it's all healthy shit, zero junk, just meat, fish, chicken, some legumes (specifically kidney beans and lentils) and veggies.

But anyway, I already started IF, I'll see if it'll work. Do you have any recommendations regarding 16/8 VS 48 hours?

(Oh, and thanks, man)
>>
Gonna start a 24 hour fast today. I ate a protein shake plus a big sweet potato before my fast and my god my stomach is so full. Cant wait for tomorrow so I can lift then eat
>>
>>41347209
huh?
so it's not CICO that fails people, people fail CICO by over eating.
You eat at a deficit until you hit your goal weight, and then eat maintenance which is what any consistence weight person is doing.
what's there to fuck up.
>>
>>41347214
I haven't done either at least on purpose.
48hrs seems a bit extreme, usually it's just eat the majority of your calories in a couple hours window per day.
ie eat nothing except between 6-8pm or shit like that
>>
>>41347231
You cant chalk it up to the people doing it if most of the practitioners fail in the long run, which is why I said the biggest loser. I think I may find a graph for this.
>>
>>41347262
People that fail to lose or maintain weight are simply not adhering to the principles of CICO and can't stop stuffing their gaping maws.
people gaining weight doesn't point to CICO being incorrect, it means they have no discipline.
>>
>>41338235
Don't let people following kinobody (or similar) overhype you. There is no research showing that IF is better than not IF for retaining muscle while loosing fat ENOUGH SO THAT IT'S MEASURABLE, and that is the key.

Sure, there some (not much) research showing some positive advantages to IF, but when directly comparing muscle retain against a group of subjects that didn't do IF the results are the same.

That being said, there actually IS some research showing that eating protein through the day helps with its absorbtion better than limiting it to x hours/day. Having said that, there are couuuuuntless success stories with IF, so probably it doesn't matter that much if you got your calories and macros in right.

TLDR: Take IF as what the research has proven it is: a helpful way for SOME people to stick to their calories / macros easier during the day. I myself have been loosing for the past month 10 lbs using IF and still gaining a bit of strenght in the gym (still a novice tho). Just try to not do the crazy IF protocols, stick to something like 16/8 hour window and try consuming the majority of your calories around your workout. And eat carbs wtf man, carbs are what sustain your gym performance.
>>
>>41347238
I don't mind how extreme it is, since, as I mentioned, I don't have much of an appetite to begin, and have went for a day without eating multiple times in the past. Thing is, is it just basically fancily-named caloric restriction, or is this autophagy shit and your body rebuilding itself just a bunch of memes?
>>
>>41347293
it's legit just a way for people to control their appetite.
Similar to aforementioned moderation or nothing at all approach, some people benefit more from lots of tiny meals throughout the day.
Others benefit from one large meal and fasting the rest of the day.
It still does just boil down to CICO.
>>
>>41347284
As i said their metabolism plummets while their hunger goes up, ofcourse theyll have a hard time with maintenance. This is why cico mostly fails at the long run.
>>
>>41347302
Wrong. What you eat matters more than Cico
>>
File: 1493752155001.png (104KB, 192x200px) Image search: [Google]
1493752155001.png
104KB, 192x200px
I did my bulk on IF.
Come at me eatingwindowlets.
>>
>>41347308
your metabolism does not change at all.
Metabolism really doesn't effect the laws of thermodynamics to an extent it would prevent weightloss.
Anyway that you can lose weight is literally a method of CICO, CICO is symbolic of the idea that you have to eat less than the body burns to lose weight.
>>41347315
well no it doesn't, you can gain weight on chicken and rice, and you can lose weight on maccas.
>>
By the way, does anyone here have access to the full article of this?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26374764
>>
>>41339255
Jason "I swear it's not broscience" Fung
>>
>>41341657
Implying 99.9% of scientists aren't funded by the government
>>
>>41347350

Your metabolism verifiably changes with drastic weight loss, and it appears nearly irreversible.

Likewise, hormones like leptin & ghrelin are permanently deranged from weight loss.

I.e. you are hungrier and it takes much more stimulus to trigger the 'satisfied hunger' mechanism.

Ghrelin/Leptin derangement: http://www.nejm.org/doi/pdf/10.1056/NEJMoa1105816

Metabolism derangement: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3387402
>>
>>41347350
Loose weight is the key word here. We dont want to just loose weight, we want to loose fat
>>
>>41348121
well that's just from colloquiums, by lose weight I obviously mean lose fat. you're just nit picking
>>
fasted for 64h so far here, still going on, want to hit the god damned 5days mark (in reality it will be 132h since i will go to sleep hungry after 5th day anyways).So far its not really anything hard, ate last meal before going to bed 2 days ago,after waking up didnt feel any major need for food and through those 48h i start to realize how hunger can be distinguished and separated from 'food craving' feeling.Greatest cravings if i want to call them that happen few hours before going to sleep for me but still nothing drastic.

As for general overview i dont have any mind clouding but i do feel different from lack of carbs in comparison to before, no headaches, concentration seems to be little decreased but thought process is clear.So far i only drink mineral water and take some salt (NaCl) to prevent possible mild dehydration which manifests itself as more frequent toilet visits after drinking.

If anyone has questions ill try to answer them later.
>>
>>41349088
How long have you been doing this? And what are you mainly doing it for?
>>
not for long, week and a half before i did 24h just to see how it feels and it went without any major problems.Main goal of this is to see the effects of prolonged fasting, i want to clarify for myself how much muscle mass/performance will retain and how my body fat behaves while on it, plus autophagy and neurogenesis benefit of long term.Unfortunately i dont have any meaningful equipment to measure this like body comp scales so most of this will be normal scale measure and subjective perception of how leaner i look in the mirror and in particular fat resistant places like abdomen and thighs.I am by no means fat, have around 15%bf at best, weigh 86/87kg before (now 85kg 60hrs in) and 189cm (around 6'2'').Had major gap in training for a year and just recently went back to it and right now have been training for 1 month.I ceased lifting for the duration of fast since its simply impossible to not get fucked up (lose muscle and snap shit) while at it for this long time, but i did train until day prior.
>>
>>41349166
see >>41349598
for some reason had fucking connection error when responding to someone
>>
>>41349598
Appreciate the details. I'm very interested in your progress, and would really like to hear from you again when you complete your fasting trial. Obviously, by that time, this thread wouldn't be around, but just start another, it'll be very interesting. Are you keeping a log?

Oh, and by the way do you have any reliable studies of intermittent fasting?
>>
>>41349782
>>41320574
Go to the bottom.
>>
>>41347764
>Adipokines decrease with decreased adipose tissue
Truly mind blowing
>>
>>41347764
>it appears nearly irreversible.

Where does it day this? I quickly went through your second link and did not find any mention of the participants RMR not recovering to a level predicted by their new body composition after the weight loss.

I know metabolic slowdown (beyond what would be predicted by reducing body mass) during caloric deficit is pretty much inevitable. As the authors in that study note, it's an adaptation to decrease the rate of weight loss. But it's definitely reversible. Metabolic slowdown is very detrimental to performance so it's natural that it will reverse once the danger of death from starvation passes.
>>
>>41338235
>>41338356

I don't know enough to understand any of the science supporting it, but as a psychological tool it works great for me. It's easier to cut on ~1200 calories a day when I have them all in a 4 hour period. It makes the meals feel much more substantial than when I space them out over the day.
>>
File: knife haaaaaaaaaaaaand.png (2MB, 829x1100px) Image search: [Google]
knife haaaaaaaaaaaaand.png
2MB, 829x1100px
>>41341677

>silkies
>that barracks wall

you're going to need to show up 15 minutes prior to the next current body thread, devil. better make it 15 minutes before that just to be sure
>>
>>41343428

Lejeune is the devils urethra. I hope you get somewhere slightly less shitty soon.
>>
who here / 23/1 /
>>
>>41350877
OP here
Decided to do 20/4
>>
>>41343364
If you were in the Navy and don't know what a corpman is, you are going to waste that GI Bill because you are a retard.
>>
>>41352454
calm down fag im smarter than you i just didnt see he said it earlier
>>
>>41338235
The real benefits are long term, look up the benefits of reduced IGF-1 pathway activity on ageing!
>>
>>41352489
>Can't read
>That makes me smarter!
>>
>>41352510
So youve never made a single mistake in your life?
>>
>>41350688

>1200 cal

just stop, you don't know what you are doing mate
>>
In studies it has been shown to increase lean muscle growth and reduce body fat
>>
>>41352534
I'm making a huge mistake now by engaging you.

But I've never claimed my mistakes as markers of superiority
>>
>>41352554
Nigger i already admitted it. And you called me retarded for making a small mistake remember?
So fuck you in return.
>>
>>41352584
You sound like Hillary
>>
>>41352596
I dont even know what that means dude.
All i know is you started this by calling me retarded over a minro mistake. You assume I assume. Im smarter than you.
>>
>>41352640
Look at this salty sailor
>>
>>41352656
thats a compliment not an insult just so you know
stay in your lane
>>
>>41338235
It's great. The beauty of it is it's simpler than what you normally do. You just lose weight without feeling hungry. Then in the evening you eat one meal that tastes awesome even if it's plain and that's it.
>>
It's probably a meme, but the placebo effect is still an effect. I just do it because it makes things simple and I'm lazy.
>>
>>41352688
>thats a compliment not an insult
Only to a retard

It was just 4chan bantz, kid, but the way you became more offended than any person in the history of this site leads me to believe you have a personal history (diagnosis?) with the word. I'm not going to bother arguing over claims that can't be substantiated about relative intelligence, but I am objectively more educated than you, squid.
>>
>>41352725
Eh, I can respect that.
>>
File: 993926.jpg (59KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
993926.jpg
59KB, 640x480px
Meme or not, I'd much rather eat 2 satisfying meals a day, instead of 10+ unsatisfying snacks.
>>
>>41352767
You jsut got this assblasted and say i was upset?
Also you idiot im saying in the navy calling someone salty is a compliment. Again you wouldnt know cause you werent in. Not sure what your problem is buddy boy. Also calling me squid doesnt bother me so try again.
>>
>>41352826
You keep making yourself look worse, dude
>>
>>41352863
explain it
>>
>>41352873
Your work speaks for itself. At this point, you are either genuinely of below average intelligence, or we are just going in circles dropping bait for each other.
>>
>>41352919
Nigger nothing i have said so far is retarded. You are trying to convince me of that because ive been making you look so stupid. Btw my words speak for themselves not itself you moron.
>>
>>41352933
Is this an entirely different person? There aren't enough spelling errors
>>
Image not for ants pls?
>>
>>41352966
How about instead of deflecting you come up with a better response. Or are yu two stoopud?
>>
As of right now i am at 84kg (lost around 2-3kg) weighted myself hour ago.I dont really keep any log besides this thread since i cant measure much more with my scale.Seems that i lost 2-3kg from primary 3 sources, 1st fat, its just impossible for it to be untouched after this period, 2nd, as in studies in mice they found out their organs to shrink, and i think same is happening here due to limited functionality and lowered energy expenditure, and last 3rd is probably water to some extent but i try to drink as much as i did before + salt.I can see my abs contours more clearly now (can be from combination of lowered water/fat combo and empty intestines) and it seems my thighs are getting slimmer.After 5d fast ends i will resume normal eating for week and measure back if any rebound from organs/water getting back to normal will occur, i assume it will to some degree.

For studies i have read 'dr' Fung site and quoted papers, also researched nbci articles concerning GH and its muscle retention abilities, found out about fast mimicking diet and checked their studies on mice (pretty remarkable results for health) and through google found some guy who claims that after fast mimicking diet (5d) he gained 1.3-1.7kg of muscle mass measured with bodycomp scales after 7d refeed (but its anecdotal evidence)
I have posted more info in this thread other anon posted as medfag at the end so you can look into it, unfortunately didnt link any studies.
>>
>>41349782
here is my reply >>41353615, dont know why i get connection errors when i reply to someone with longer posts

and here is that previous thread>>41349951
>>
>>41353615

Are you this anon? >>41349088

Just so I know whom I'm addressing.
>>
>>41353651
yea, going strong 70hrs in
>>
>>41353629
Ah, there you are. Pretty cool of you to keep us updated on your progress.

So around 8 hours ago, at 60 hours in, you were at 85 kg, so I assume what you lost now 8 hours later is mostly water weight.

So now you're almost 72 hours in, right? Aside from the physical effects, mentally, how do you feel?
>>
As for me, I'll be keeping a log here while following 20/4. I'll do weigh do ins + bodycomp% measurement each morning and post them here, and will comment on any mental differences .
>>
>>41353874
May join you in that anon, can't do bodycomp but still
>>
>>41353984
You can get one of those Weight Watchers scales, I got one for $19, they do bodycomp. They're not satisfyingly accurate, unfortunately, but it's better than nothing.
>>
File: 1421784225897.png (202KB, 516x516px) Image search: [Google]
1421784225897.png
202KB, 516x516px
>tfw skinnyfat skeleton
>starting training a couple of months ago while bulking
>am seeing some alright gains but my stomach is getting bigger

If I do IF for two months and cut when I'm finally off my bulk, will I actually lose all this fat and keep my muscle?

I've gained 4 kg so far.
>>
>>41354163
Naturally, with any cut, you will lose some muscle mass. I've heard of people bulking ON IF, but some other anons have to pitch in for that one. Also, you have to measure your bodycomp to know what kind of weight you've gained, a normal scale doesn't tell a fraction of the story.
>>
File: 1415115739541.jpg (25KB, 500x581px) Image search: [Google]
1415115739541.jpg
25KB, 500x581px
>>41354199
>lose muscle

REEEEEEEEEE

Even with BCAA's and eating massive amounts of protein? This shit is why test is sounding appealing to me. Just do one cycle, bulk and keep the muscle, then never do test again.

>tfw too young to do it
>>
>>41353772
did you mention why you were doing the 5 day fast? weight loss?
>>
>>41354248
Here's his previous post >>41349598

>>41354241
Well, it's not like you'll lose a considerable, let alone a significant amount of muscle mass on a correctly-done cut. It's not like your gains will disappear with the fat.

Not sure about taking test though, have no background on the subject. Though in general, I tell people to stay off steroids if they don't know what they're doing, considering thy're likely to abuse it once they see gains, and suffer from all kinds of shit like balding, infertility, natural testosterone production stagnation, scrotum shrinkage, dependence, etc.
>>
>>41354316
So you're saying I'll lose a small amount of my gains, but not enough to make it seem like lifting was a waste of time?

Also all that shit you listen doesn't happen if you're not retarded and follow instructions along with doing PCT.
>>
>>41345436
>Begin catabolising plaque deposits in vasculature (i.e. start breaking down atherosclerosis which contributes to CAD)
I'm interested
I already do a 20/4 IF schedule (no effort, it's easy) and I want to start fasting one day a week (so 6 days 20/4 and one day full fasting), would it be enough?
>>
>>41354331
>So you're saying I'll lose a small amount of my gains, but not enough to make it seem like lifting was a waste of time?
If you do it right, totally. Perfect cuts with 0 loss in muscle mass are too good to be true, so don't be discouraged, that's just the price of a shredded physique.

Also all that shit you listen doesn't happen if you're not retarded and follow instructions along with doing PCT.
Which almost no one does anyway, so I tell them off regardless.
>>
>>41354163
>>41354241
>>41354331
Listen you dummy either eat at maintenance or do as lean of a bulk as possible. Youre dumb and fell for the cut/bulk meme and even then you arent doing it right.
>>
File: 1459291280502.jpg (61KB, 239x343px) Image search: [Google]
1459291280502.jpg
61KB, 239x343px
Help me out dudes I want to try intermittent fasting

current situation
>doing strength training every other day in the morning full body routine. still noobgains, can squat bodyweight for ten reps.
>bf is 22% i am around 10kg overweight

my goal
>gain strength
>lose around 4% bf.

my plan
>intermittent fasting for 24h two days a week during rest time
>example: monday, train in the morning, start fast 5pm. tuesday is restday, break fast 5pm. wednesday, train in the morning, start fast 5pm. thursday is restday, break fast at 5pm. no more fast for the week. next fast starts + or - one day next week to avoid doing workout during fast.

this is what I came up with after a day worth of research. thoughts? advice?
>>
File: 1412635341647.jpg (81KB, 396x388px) Image search: [Google]
1412635341647.jpg
81KB, 396x388px
>>41354421
>go on /fit/ months ago and proclaim as a skinnyfat skeleton who wants to get strong
>/fit/ recommends me GOMAD and SS
>decide to do half GOMAD and SS + upper bod accessories

>get some actual muscle for the first time in my life along with stomach fat, some of which I had before since I'm skinnyfat

>apparently it's all a meme now and I should've lean bulked
>even the stronglifts website encourages going on GOMAD for skinnyfats

Fuck. At this point I can only keep bulking and lifting, then cut.

Also

>not doing it right

I'm eating protein and almost no carbs, lad. I think my eating is alright.
>>
It's the best kind of fasting if you have self control over it.
>>
Have you guys heard of the newer trend overcoming Intermittent Fasting? It's called "Frequent Slowing".

Basically you eat continuously from the time you wake until you sleep, but you eat very slowly. It might take two and a half hours to eat a 350 calorie meal, or a small burger. You just eat one tiny piece at a time until it dissolves in your mouth.
>>
>>41354455
Listen to me please.
You fucked up or the idiots you listened to fucked up.
GOMAD is not for skinnyfats its for skellys. Tehres a difference.
Rip himself has said this and has multiple videos on it.
Second i said youre doing it wrong cause bulking and cutting is severly mis undersstood. As i beginner as long as you are getting enough protein and following a good routine youll make progress thanks to the beginner effect. Bulking and cutting is actualyl for advanced lifters who have stalled and need a way to push through a plateau or for competitors in their offseason.
As a beginner you dont need any of that. Putting on weight than re loosing it is fucking stupid. If i were you id eat at maintenance and let your body even out as you get stronger.
>>
>>41354489
>someone actually thought this was funny
This is wrose than facebook tier
>>
>>41354519
So you're telling me even the stronglifts website fucked up? It says skinnyfat skeletons should do GOMAD, then cut.

My arms have always been thin as fuck and only now do they look average. I attributed that to the lifting and the extra calories. I've been told repeatedly that if you eat at maintenance you will only make incredibly slow gains.
>>
>>41354577
Nigger skinnyfat and skeleton arent the same thing. Do you have a gut or not?
Look man as a natty theres a limit to how much extra calories your body can out towards muscle. Eating an extra 300 a day is enough. Stuffing your face with milk and god knows what else will make you stronger sure but youre gonna get fat at the same time. And then when you cut youre gonna lose strength and be miserable. Why go through all that instead just eat barerly above maintenance aka 300 extra a day.
>>
>>41350107

If you actually read it then you did a piss poor job at comprehending it.

Please re-read.

> RMR declined out of proportion to the decrease in body mass, demonstrating a substantial metabolic adaptation

> This metabolic adaptation may persist during weight maintenance and predispose to weight regain unless high levels of physical activity or caloric restriction are maintained.

They followed them for 30 weeks with no improvement, some studies have followed this same thing for > 12 months and still seen no improvement.
>>
>>41354640
Yes, I have a gut.
Once again, the stronglifts website said SKINNYFAT skeletons should do GOMAD as well.

But sure, eating 300 extra a day seems fine. Will I make good strength gains like that? Will I lose the bellyfat?
>>
>>41354678
Well theyre wrong then. Look man rome wasnt built in a day so its gonna take time. You need to seriously accept that fact as a natty. Fact is alot also depends on genetics and thats a hard pill to swallow as well. If you are just starting dude theres almost nothing you can do wrong to stop teh gains. The beginner affect is real.
>>
>>41347764
is this one of those studies I keep reading about in fat hate threads whenever a landwhale needs an apology to not lose weight?
>>
>>41354935
maybe
>>
>>41354935

It's a study investigating metabolic adaptations during weight loss.

Any agenda you have is your own.
>>
>>41338235
Started again last week and im down 7lbs.
>>
>>41355532
You dropped 7lbs in one week?
>>
>>41355746
Yeah it was more than expected. I was a bit surprised ive been eating 1200 calories a day, when my tdee by iifym has been 1750.

So i wanted to lose around 2 pounds a week. So took off 500 calories a day which theres around 3500 calories to a pound so my diet will help me lose about a pound.

And ive been ending every workout with at least 15 minutes on the stairmaster as high as i can push it.

Made me drop 7 pounds.

To be fair im a fat fuck so it could be water weight.
>>
>>41355801
i tried to just drink green juice for a week, cost a ton of cash, but ended up losing about 8lbs in a week.
I think i mostly just shit out the weight...
>>
>>41355801
Even if it was water weight, such a sharp drop is unprecedented. Unless you're REALLY big, but your TDEE is 1750. The other thing I could think is that, before your fast, you were eating a shit ton of salt, so your water retention skyrocketed, and you fasting just made that much of a change.
>>
>>41355860
Idk about that. Makes sense. But that stuff could be bought for less.

My biggest thing has been my apetite

>used to eating pizza, cheeseburgers, tacos whenever i wanted.

So jumping to grilled chicken and rice or a sweet potato at around 250-300 cal a meal is annoying.

Happy with my results. Hoping to get to my goal weight so i can just maintain from there.
>>
>>41355879
I definitely had high sodium content.

I dont expect this upcoming week to be the same.
>>
>>41355926
Well, good luck anon. Would like to hear back from you again on your progress.

As I said earlier, I myself will keep a daily log here while on 20/4.
>>
>>41355977
Good luck to you too. Here's to making it
>>
>>41355977
Speaking of which, I might as well do now.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

I.F. 20/4:

DAY 1 - 7TH MAY 2017

MORNING WEIGH IN + BODYCOMP ANALYSIS: NONE

FIRST MEAL: 9:45 PM - ROASTED CHICKEN BREAST & VEGGIES

SECOND (LAST) MEAL: 1:45 AM - SAME

SUPPLEMENTS: VITAMIN D 2000 IU, CALCIUM 1000 MG, MAGNESIUM 400 MG, ZINC 15 MG, POTASSIUM 600 MG, VITAMIN C 150 MG, HIGH-DHA FISH OIL 4 CAPSULES, VITAMIN B-COMPLEX 100% RDI

(what do you think? should I add/subtract anything to/from this format?)
>>
>>41356069
Don't eat at 2AM dingus.
>>
>>41352543

Go on.
>>
>>41352596
>>41352596

If Hillary had said shit like this in the debate I'd have voted for her.
>>
Doing IF/Keto because I fucking hate myself.

Was doing 16:8 but switched to 18:6.

1500 kcal a day - 130g protein, 20g carbs, 100g fat

Get most of my fiber through a shake in the morning. Number usually hits 30g by the end of the day.
>>
>>41356481
not him but why? If you give me a meme answer im gonna be pissed
>>
>>41357171
body metabolizes food for fat growth faster when you are closer to the orbit of the moon
>>
>>41357184
>orbit of the moon
do you not know that has absolutely nothing to do with it being night or day?
Also thats bullshit either way.
>>
Considering it's dumb as fuck to have all of your calories in one meal...does no one understand insulin spikes, cortisol, catabolic and anabolic, etc.

Like I don't understand how anyone can think this is a good idea? Enjoy the muscle loss.
>>
>>41357241
>does no one understand insulin spikes, cortisol, catabolic and anabolic, etc
lets pretend we dont. Please explain it.
>>
>>41354676
I did read it quickly but after reading it more carefully, I think it's you who is mistaken.

The competition lasted 13 weeks and most of the participants had already been sent home by that point. Everyone was sent home after that. But they continued to be calorie-restricted and lose weight until week 30. They were not maintaining weight and eating normally during that time. The fact that RMR dropped from week 6 to week 30 makes this clear. If the participants who were sent home had started to eat at maintenance immediately and stopped their weight loss, there wouldn't have been this additional drop in RMR.

This study isn't evidence of the metabolic adaptation persisting after ending the weight loss and increasing calories back to maintenance and above. They didn't get data of that. The single sentence where they comment that the adaptation "may persist" is the only thing in the study suggesting that. Not data, just a comment by the authors.

I'd like to read the studies you mentioned where they did 12 months of follow-up.
>>
>>41341677
Fucking Corpsman detected.
Are those the hospital barracks by the Lejeune medical center?
>>
>>41338235
Once you abandon the regime, your body stores even more fat
>>
>>41358171

Here's one for 6 years: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/oby.21538/full

Here's the Minnesota Starvation Experiment: http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/102/4/807.short

Here's the Army Ranger Experiment

At this point you're invited to just google scholar the topic, as I'm not interested in this pseudo-intellectual

> PROOF [CITATION NEEDED]

> Citation given

> Cherrypicks 1 sentence/issue in methodology and hand waves the entire study.
>>
>>41346891
Tits?
>>
>>41359469
No, ass. Absolutely massive for my size. In fact, looking at my upper body alobe, no one could tell I'm fat.
>>
>>41348433
but thats the point, you cant preserve muscle and lose fat while on a shit diet. Im not nit picking, im really assuming that you meant weight lose because you dont care about the quality of the food and just yolo iifym CICO!
>>
File: 1492506548513.png (200KB, 907x661px) Image search: [Google]
1492506548513.png
200KB, 907x661px
Just finished a 24h fast and boy that was easy. I just slept for 9 hours then work for another 9, vidya then lift.
>>
>>41359359
I read those two studies. The 6 year study on the BL competitors clearly showed them still having reduced RMR even after gaining weight. The revisiting of the MInnesota experiment showed quick reversal of the metabolic adaptation when a large surplus was used. In the BL study they mention in the discussion that in the original Minnesota experiment they saw the drop in RMR being maintained when the subjects gained weight without being allowed to eat too much. But when they were freed to eat as much they wanted, they ate a much bigger surplus and their RMR recovered.

So, I believe now that metabolic adaptation can persist and that it's pretty common to do so but also that its reversal is common too.

The question I couldn't quickly find an answer on google scholar is that were these reversals of the RMR only temporary, lasting just for the duration of the overfeeding? Gaining weight obviously means eating a surplus. But is there no change in metabolic rate when eating a reasonable surplus vs something like +50%?

Also, I think strength training is intimately related to recovering from the reduction in metabolic rate after weight loss.
>>
fat fuck here

im unsure about the science side of things, but IF is perfect for me because the meals are so huge and so close together you dont feel hungry for the rest of the day

small meals broken up into a deficit leave me feeling starving all day and are a huge mental drain for me
>>
>>41360652
No, you have to eat at a deficit while doing IF, you can't just cram massive meals in the feeding window and expect fat loss, at least, considerable fat loss.
>>
>>41360662
thats what i was saying

all the calories in one go is much more satiating than the calories spread out over the day, which makes you much more likely to stick to the diet
>>
>>41341677
10/10 progress man
>>
>>41360682
Not necessarily in one go, it depends on your Fasting Period(hr)/Feeding Window(hr).

So if you're doing 16/8 (16-hour fast, 8-hour feeding window), you can just eat throughout it irregularly as long as you meet your macros and deficit, if you're doing 20/4 (like me), you can have a decent meal every 2 hours (so 2 of 'em), or a small meal and a big one. 23/1 IF is the eating-all-your-macros-and-calories-in-one-go variation.
>>
If If work that well for so many people it's because it make people spend way more time in near-ketosis or even full blown ketosis ,
You'd get most of the result by just going Keto . ( But I admit there is still a lot of good shit that happen regardless of ketosis )
>>
>>41360662
wrong. The quality or what you eat is what matters more in IF. You think you can retain muscle while losing fat on a twinkie diet?
>>
>>41360777
That's a given though. What kind of retard does IF while feeding on fast food and candy?
>>
>>41360777
People often talk about quality but they never mention the Type of food .

Eating meat / fish / green veggies no matter their quality will always be better than the best qualities grain .
>>
File: printer.jpg (37KB, 640x627px) Image search: [Google]
printer.jpg
37KB, 640x627px
I tried IF a couple months ago and failed miserably because I was craving sugar and food and binge eating every couple days, sabotaging my results.

Went back on IF a week ago after starting Keto diet and I couldn't be happier- I eat 2 meals per day instead of 4 and I genuinely feel fuller, more satisfied and more alert than before.

IF can be a meme if you don't take the time to fix your shitty diet first, otherwise it's grand.
>>
>>41360802
the kind of retards that hop on the new diets monthly
>>
>>41360879
The twist with If is that usually people often ends up in ketosis during the fasting period and develop a better fat metabolism thanks to it , and the amount of positive point keto has is astonishing hence why people usually feels better doing IF , but if you're a carb monster and eat mainly carbs during a 16/8 or 18/6 you can easily prevent any form of ketosis to happen whatsoever and you'll fell like shit .
>>
>>41360893
fuck keto, thats for gay losers
>>
>>41360777
>You think you can retain muscle while losing fat on a twinkie diet?
Not him and you're right about CICO, but you can. It's been proven multiple times.
>>
>>41360928
yeah with roids
>>
>>41360893
>people often ends up in ketosis during the fasting period

Doesn't that take a few days of no carb intake? Full glycogen stores aren't going to be emptied in a single day of fasting.
>>
>>41360541
Noice
>>
>>41360946
I don't think you need to completely abandon carbs to achieve ketosis.
>>
>>41361944
Correct , usually you're in mild ketosis when you wake up ( unless you're a carb monster)

If you have trouble waking-up it means you fucked up your hormonal balance .
>>
>>41362005
>If you have trouble waking-up it means you fucked up your hormonal balance
By lack or excess intake of carbohydrates?
>>
>>41362005
>you're in mild ketosis when you wake up

Really? I thought it took at least 48 hours to run out of glycogen when fasting, if you eat an ordinary diet of a few hundred grams of carbs every day.
>>
>>41362300
A few hundred grams seems a bit too much for a non-whale.
>>
>>41362300
Diabetic who's tried keto here, as the other guy says you can be mildly ketonic after waking up or as little as 10 hours after not eating carbs, possibly even less

Glycogen is never depleted as it's used by the brain and other organs in tiny quantities even during ketosis but most glucose is used up from the blood within a few hours to a day depending how regularly you're eating carbs.

A few hundred grams of carbs a day would take you days to get rid of because that's ultra excessive and only the sort of thing you're going to see with obese fucks eating like trash. Either way it's most definitely not an ordinary diet.

I'd personally consider less than 50g of carbs per day normal in the sense that it's what 1. The majority of mankind eats 2. What the majority of the west ate before the last 40 years and 3. Within the range where non dietary related health conditions start to appear
>>
>>41353811
sorry it takes so long to reply, today was kinda fucking hard, not entirely because of fasting but it went like this:
>browsing net for few hrs, its about bed time for me
>probably because i was sitting with bad form and have lower back problems my lumbar area starts to have this highly uncomfortable dull pain (had this before in the past)
>go to bed, cant fucking sleep its so fucking tense
>for some reason, in span of 1h i can feel the pain subsiding while lying there minute by minute, felt kinda similar to taking painkillers
>suddenly its just a faded feel, i get overrun by calmness, can finally get some rest
>unfortunately i didnt sleep well, woke up 4h later with crushing headache in temple area and temporomandibular joint
>went to piss, bloodshot eyes in the mirror, heart is pounding with greater than normal force and rythm (86bpm not normal after waking up), shouldnt happen
>go back to bed, take some salt, wash with water, wait for it to subside, it does after an hour
>sleep more for 2h, wake up feel fucking normal like nothing happened
Aside from that its back to normal fasted state for me, no food desire after waking up, it gets worse with time until midnight tho (feeling hollow inside), concentration and focus starts to kinda strain with every day but nothing substantial, but i wouldnt recommend prolonged fast while working with no prior experience.
Btw 91hrs in so far, didnt weight myself yet, will update later.
>>
>>41363181
The average westerner eat around 200 up to 250 g of carbs a day , that only represent 40% to 50% of a 2000Kcals intake .
>>
this thread is autistic

just eat healthy, work out and get plenty of sleep
>>
>>41363317
The problem is that most people believe that eating 3+ time a day or eating 100+ g of carbs a day is healthy .

The only way you can make such a lifestyle healthy is by overcompensating a lot with exercise .
>>
>>41363299
2 is not a few. That's still way too much either way.
>>
>>41362082
By excess carbohydrates , your energy level are supposed to be stable throughout the day when you don't mess with your insulin , but people become crab-dependant and can't think straight after only 8 hours of carbs abstinence
>>
>>41354248
i am doing it to find out how does your body behaves fasting for prolonged period.After reading studies and researching i come to conclusion that 48h is basal line for 'most' of benefits of fasting, but fast mimicking diet goes for 5d and after that 48h mark they state autophagy if facilitated which is beneficial to your body to rid of unused/damaged/potentialy cancerous cells and to promote immune system 'restart', so why not.Besides checking (unfortunately only by simple scale and subjectively) what happens to my body in regards to muscle and fat but result of this will be more clear after refeeding with normal diet for few days.Mainly hope GH release will spare as much muscles as possible and so far seems it does but by no means i am 'big' so it can have greater toll for more buff guys.
>>
>>41363345
Yes it's still way too much to be healthy but you must realize that most people get way more than 40% of their calories through carbs .
>>
>>41362999
>>41363181

Perhaps I should've specified 100-400g as what I meant by "a few" as what I eat is in that range and I'm a non-whale weighing 80kg.
I vary my calories from about 2500 to 3000, depending on lifting. My protein and fat are constant at about 150g and 80g, respectively. My carbs vary from 270g to 440g. This makes my calorie percentages be 20-24% from protein, 44-57% from carbs and 23-28% from fat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_pattern_diet
This is what I mean by an ordinary diet. My total calories and protein intake are higher but it's still pretty similar to the average. Though I guess I admit a person only eating 2000kcal probably wouldn't go above 300g carbs. In that case, non-lifting fatties eating 400g of carbs are probably getting about 3000kcal and just getting fat so I suppose that'd be excessive.
>>
>>41352785
this
>>
>>41339255

>if you have food on your stomach, especially carbs, your body will NOT fix your cold, your allergy or whatever you're sick with. it's the whole reason you go to sleep, so your body can digest the food, THEN AFTERWARDS use the energy to fix whatever need fixing

This man is clearly a doctor who has read a book at some point in his life
>>
>>41363373
False, 75%+ of the planet eats less than 100g carb/day. Only in the west do we have this pervasive government subsidy on grain and sugar.

>>41363473
Your diet is only ordinary in the west- which of course are the countries with the highest leading rates of diseases caused by and/or linked to poor diet.

More than 100g of carbs is fine if you're an athlete or endurance competitor and know what you're doing, otherwise you simply have a shitty diet.

For reference, I'm currently eating 2500cal and lifting 5 times per week at 180kg on squats/diddy and I'm eating approximately 20-30g of carb per day.
>>
>>41364056
Too much "athlete" are afraid to reduce their carbs intake because they believe it'll kill their performance , but the truth is that once you become fat adapted ( A.k.a our natural states ) the glycogen partitioning is much more efficient and high intensity is still possible without problem .

Glycogen can restore through de novo glucogenesis and through the use of glycerol .
>>
>>41363257
Damn, you should probably check with a doctor if those conditions surface up again.

Yeah, I'm starting to get that hollow feeling the closer I get to my feeding window, about 2 hours prior. So far, my concentration and focus haven't changed, but I didn't expect any mental changes anyway, it's only my second day after all.
Didn't get to weigh myself in the morning 'cause I didn't empty out my intestines with coffee, had some work to attend to. It may have been for the best though, as there is still some leftover water weight from my last binge (I used to have binge days on my previous diet, but not anymore now that I'm on IF), which will skew the bodycomp analysis of my scale. Oh well, I'll update the log anyway.
>>
>>41356069
---------------------------------------------------------------------

I.F. 20/4:

WEEK1 / DAY 2 - 8TH MAY 2017

MORNING WEIGH IN + BODYCOMP ANALYSIS: NONE

FIRST MEAL: 9:45 PM - ROASTED CHICKEN BREAST & VEGGIES

SECOND (LAST) MEAL: 1:45 AM - SAME

SUPPLEMENTS: VITAMIN D 2000 IU, CALCIUM 1000 MG, MAGNESIUM 400 MG, ZINC 15 MG, POTASSIUM 600 MG, VITAMIN C 150 MG, HIGH-DHA FISH OIL 4 CAPSULES, VITAMIN B-COMPLEX 100% RDI
>>
>>41365446
tomorrow is the last day of my fast, have to stay strong, about 94hrs in, and thanks for caring, if something happens i have my brother at my place (medfag) and sister can be on call (also med), but overall its still good, in troubling situation i think all necessary shit would be IV electrolyte infusion + IV glucose, and if heart stops some sensual massage.Aside that i am at 82kg, lost about 4-5kg since beginning, fat seems to fade from abdomen (abs are more visible) but my thighs are stalling i think, but on the other hand, fat is stored at their overall circumference so it might look minuscule, there is more definition near knee region tho.Also muscles seem tiny bit shrunken, hopefully its mild dehydration and glycogen stores depletion, will confirm after few days of normal eating.
>>
>>41365756
Yeah, I don't think it'll get that bad, but those symptoms seem to have come out of left field, unless you have a medical condition, I really suggest checking with a doctor as soon as possible, instead of waiting on it because it subsided.

4 - 5 kg in 4 days? Hmmm...could the majority of that really be water weight? No, it shouldn't be that high. This would be much easier if you had a bodycomp scale, but I guess the increased definition is an indication of fat loss. I'll be waiting for your next update.
>>
>>41357018
how much do you weigh, how much muscle, what is your goal, you are almost undoubtedly doing something wrong unless you weigh 300+ pounds and are just trying to lose weight
>>
>>41344191
insulin sensitivity, it will even out after a while, you have been eating carbs all day every day for a while now so you get irregular insulin spikes when you eat and are exhausted the rest of the day, sometimes like when on test, you have low insulin because low (healthy) blood sugar, but the ratios get fucked up really bad because the numbers are small and small things can fuck em up.

this is normal for diet change it can be a million things, but eventually if you resist the energy spikes your body will hopefully adjust and give you energy when you actually want it/ try to use it, should really only take about 14-21 days total to be pretty stable
>>
>>41358280
Lol nope, not hospital

>>41360704
Thanks man. Still got a long ways to go tho
>>
It gave me a binge eating disorder
>>
>>41366981
Kek.
What happened?
>>
bamb. Keeping this alive to post tomorrow's log.
>>
>>41345182
its good practice so I don't act like a nigger in real life.
>>
>>41367034
they're similar
if only also has calorie control.
Thread posts: 259
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.