[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /fit/, so I've gotten pretty good at handstands over

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

File: practing_my_handies.jpg (34KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
practing_my_handies.jpg
34KB, 350x350px
Hey /fit/, so I've gotten pretty good at handstands over the past year, and I can finally hold one for ~15s pretty regularly (probably could've learned faster but I wasn't practicing enough). I'm continuing working on strength/balance, and I expect to be able to hold one for a minute within a few months. However, I also want to be able to do handstand pushups by the end of the year, even if they're not full ROM.

Do I need to be able to do full body-weight OHP before I attempt this (minus some lower-arm weight or whatever)? Im 6'0" 175#, planning on somewhere between 180-185# by the end of the year, and my 5rep OHP weight is ~105# right now. Obviously I won't be doing 180# OHP by the end of the year, but can I still expect to do handstand pushups?
>>
File: why_even_live.jpg (49KB, 520x520px)
why_even_live.jpg
49KB, 520x520px
bumping with my waifu, haven't seen a /bwg/ to ask this in
>>
No. handstand pushups are a partial lift.

Set pins around forehead level and get good at those, no need to do full range.
>>
File: doji.png (173KB, 642x360px) Image search: [Google]
doji.png
173KB, 642x360px
>>41318484
Thx anon, I figured it couldn't be equivalent to BW OHP but wanted to double check.

What do you mean by setting pins though?
>>
>>41318669
Pins are the things in a power rack the bars that go across the posts to catch the weight in case you fall or something. You can adjust the height so sit it up so the bar is at about forehead level, press, then set them back on the pins, and repeat. This will build your dead stop strength and be more specific to handstand push ups than full range OHP.
>>
File: pins.png (53KB, 200x203px) Image search: [Google]
pins.png
53KB, 200x203px
>>41318832
fucked up my sentence but these things
>>
>>41318832
Oh jesus I get you now lol. I thought you were talking about setting pins when doing handstand pushups, had no idea what you meant.

Thanks, I'm probs gonna keep doing full ROM OHP but I'll add forehead level at the end of the my dropsets.
>>
>>41318871
true lmao idek how that would work

And yeah I would definitely try to keep training the full range some how but pin presses from that height and push press will help you the most for handstand push ups.
>>
>>41318036
It's useful to do handstand pushup negatives to improve ohp. You don't need to do a bodyweight ohp for a couple of reasons, a big one being that you can do more weight in a closed chain movement like a handstand pushup (think lat pulldown and pull up as a way of comparison to ohp and handstand pushup). You can also increase ROM of the handstand pushup usijg rings or chairs btw.
>>
>>41318036
How does one practice doing handstands?
>>
>>41319467
find wall, place hands, kick up

do a static hold against the wall to build strength/comfort, then move to freestanding

kick back up against the wall to start building headstand pushups

then move to blocks under hands to build handstand pushup strength

and finally, work on handstand walks
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.