[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does /fit/ feel about combat sports and martial arts? Any

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 5

File: sports.jpg (102KB, 800x1059px) Image search: [Google]
sports.jpg
102KB, 800x1059px
How does /fit/ feel about combat sports and martial arts?
Any favourits or recomendations?
>>
>>41302393
They're fucking horrible, don't even get me started. Yeah, what kind of faggot do you want to be? Being able to defend yourself in tough situations where there's no other choice left? Wanting some actual athletic training? Discipline?

Lol, you must be a faggot if you want any of those!
>>
>>41302393
Actually working:
boxing, muay thai/kickboxing

meme:
judo, mma, anything asian or grappling wise
>>
>>41302651
I feel like boxing/kickboxing has too many blows in the head and you'll get stupid.
I want to get fit not stupid.
>>
>>41302393
i studied kenpo for 8 years, and we had a saying about how to fight effectively:
>strike, transition, submit
to be a balanced fighter, you have to be able to keep someone at a distance, slug it out effectively, be able to work in a clinch, do hip and shoulder throws, and be able to pull off multiple arm locks/choke holds against active resistance (someone actually trying to escape or fight back, not the "i'll punch and then let him do a technique").
good striking arts are boxing, kickboxing, muy thai, some krav maga schools are okay, and shotokan/kyokushin/kenpo if you can find a non mcdojo. if you're not sparring in 3 months or wasting time on forms, it's a mcdojo
>transition
wrestling, judo, and japanese jiujitsu are great
>submit
brazilian jiu jitsu and wrestling are pretty much the GOAT here
>>
>>41302681
breh grappling is tough as fuck. it's actually really straining and you'll get a good workout out of it. im looking into wrestling myself. plus being able to throw a guy, take him down or have him tap out is pretty alpha.
>>
>>41302681
You clearly never experienced boxing workouts because they will tire the shit out of you before you even get to put on some gloves. Besides, as long as you won't do any sparring you won't take blows to your head. And even if you do, most if not all boxing gyms have protection equipment to not fuck up your brain cells.
>>
>How does /fit/ feel about combat sports and martial arts?

Waste of time and only poor people fight. Get big instead. Nobody fucks with huge guys, unlike with manlets and skellies. There's a good reason why half of /fit/ thinks that it could take down Pacquiao despite him being a world class boxer.
>>
I feel like too many people get caught up in how 'effective' martial arts can be. Learning martial arts purely for self defence or skill in a fight seems pointless to me, unless you get in a lot of bar fights ir some shit. 5 years krav maga or a thai boxing black belt wont be any good against a knife or a gun, or a group of guys
Martial arts should be about discipline, health and respect. This can be asian shit, although most people who didnt start young or have family or friends doing it see it as pussy shit. Even mma should be about discipline more than about fighting skill, cos really how many of you will use your skills in a ring.
There are a few exceptions, but things like boxing i think are more sports than martial arts, where training them is good for fitness rather than any mental aspects
t. 6 years aikido 2 years mma inc. 3 comp fights
>>
>>41302894
>>41302894
>>41302894
this is excellent baiting, well done. You've earned those (you)s
>>
>>41302931
I definitely agree with the idea that training for real world combat skill is pointless. I've only ever boxed and wrestled and to me, it's just a fun sport. But I want to eventually try some new stuff and maybe make those discipline gains
>>
>>41302931
But a big part of why I train (besides aesthetics) is to be able to fight if I need to at some point in the future (I'm paranoid about imminent societal collapse)
How do I train that skill?
>>
>>41303149
Idk, get in fights cunt
>>
>>41302931

How can you say that 5 years of martial arts won't help you in a knife fight or against multiple people? The speed, balance and hand eye alone would make you more effective in any of those situations, now I'm not saying it's the difference between life and death no difference what so ever?
>>
>>41302651
>meme:
>mma
>>
>asking /fit/ about martial arts

On what planet would this ever be a good idea?
>>
>>41302651
>muay thai
>not Asian
>>
>>41302651
Certain fighting styles hold you back.
It's why Connor is as perfect as Bruce Lee was
>>
>>41302698
Neither freestyle wrestling or greco roman wrestling are types of submission wrestling

Try sambo & BJJ

source: http://www.ufc.com/discover/fighter/martialArtsStyles
>>
>>41303149
boxing, BJJ, muay thai or any of the other popular ones
>>
>>41303198
It will give you the edge against a normal person, but it wont stop you getting stabbed mate
>>
>>41303312
>what is shoot and catch wrestling
>>
>>41302393
anything that isn't krav maga (aka jew jitsu) or aikido seems pretty good to learn
>>
File: download (2).jpg (5KB, 240x176px) Image search: [Google]
download (2).jpg
5KB, 240x176px
>>41303356
That is what a Gunkatta is for.
>>
>>41302393
most of them have a purpose i suppose, for better of for worse

if you wanna do cool kicks, flips and cartwheels, that may or may not end with you getting your ass laughed at in the middle of a fight, do TKD, Karate or Kung Fu etc. They're cool on their own and can certainly impress your friends but no one with a healthy mind actually trains this and think they can beat people down on the street

if you wanna learn how to punch someone square in the face - boxing, muay thai and kickboxing will get you far, these are useful in a fight

if you wanna throw someone down on the fucking pavement like a boss or maybe look like a homo grabbing another dudes dick while breaking his arm - Judo, wrestling and Jiu jitsu is absolutely what you should do. These are quintessential to support your strikes if you wish to go competitive as a fighter
>>
>>41303312
i've wrestled high school and college level wrestlers. they literally all knew submissions, and learned them through wrestling. just because the goal is to pin doesn't mean they don't go for points as well
>>
>>41302894
delusion is helluva drug
>>
File: 1492791079413.jpg (232KB, 554x548px) Image search: [Google]
1492791079413.jpg
232KB, 554x548px
>>41302393
Why is mike typson fighting against Nintendo in Judo? Isnt he a boxer?
>>
>>41302931
For you. Other people need to learn martial arts to defend themself. Some are born in shitty neighborhoods or countries were fighting is a daily routine. Some people are having a job were an assault could happen every time, like a police officer or a bouncer. Knowing martial arts is very good for knowing the fighting distance, knowing how to punch and knowing how to block. I think its one of the most important skills everybody needs.
And a group of people arent really a danger when you know your shit. Weapons can be dangerous, but you can arm yourself as well.
>>
>>41302681
Unless you compete you'll be fine.

Just don't go to a gym with shit sparring.. Proper gyms focus on speed and sharpness. You don't beat the shit out of each other every sparring session, although you should at least once.
>>
>>41302698
Fuck that shit.

Just learn to punch hard and fast enough to knock somebody out.

Then just be a nigger
>>
>>41302894
>implying bulk makes up for skill

In grappling maybe. But most of /fit/ can't strike for shit.
>>
>>41302698
>i studied kenpo for 8 years
Nevermind, no use crying over it.
>>
>>41302931
>6 years aikido

Your opinion is completely irrelevant.
>>
I'm thinking of the best combinations of martial arts to learn to be an all around great fighter

1. Boxing
2. Judo
3. BJJ

Sounds good? I figure Boxing would do well for punches and stand up game, judo for throws and BJJ for submissions. I'm a complete fucking noob, I did Tae-Kwon Do for a little bit and got a yellow belt when I was younger but quit because I was a pussy at 11 years old. But now I think martial arts is really fucking cool.
>>
>>41306222
>boxing as only striking art

Enjoy getting leg kicked to death, kiddo.
>>
>>41306244
Well if I did Muay Thai for striking, isn't that just thai kick boxing? And doesn't it seem impractical in a street fight to go for kicks? Wouldn't stay on your feet and being quick with hands be more efficient?
>>
>>41306268
Hey, this isn't the real world. This is an 80's action flick set in a city where everyone knows martial arts.
>>
>>41306268
>just Thai kick boxing

That is exactly what it is. And every serious MMA fighter gets at least some training in it.

When you say all around great fighter, do you mean "for da streetz" or MMA?

Training 3 disciplines for street fights is idiotic, unless you actively seek them out.
Which is even more idiotic.
>>
>>41306319
Okay, let me be more clear, I don't do street fights and I've never been in one. If I learned martial arts I would not be opposed to competing eventually. My concern is, if I do get into a fight, what is the best way to beat the shit out of the opponent and not get my ass beat/robbed/killed etc.

>inb4 gun
>>
>>41306344
Boxing and take just enough wrestling so that you could survive against someone on the ground.
>>
>>41306344
Assuming you are getting attacked by an unarmed dude who is alone.
Try and de-escalate. Shove and step back a little.
After that, next option is to swing first, swing hard and follow up / run.

Doesn't really require training, but for average street defense situations, boxing is very good. It's also a pretty good starting point for MMA later, IF you switch your stance. If not you will get taken down / leg kicked till you submit like a bitch.

Judo is also nice, but for MMA, BJJ should be of a higher priority. For self defense it's the other way around desu.
>>
What's the best martial art for self defence?

I don't ever want to get in a fight but if I ever do i want to know I can at least throw a punch
>>
>>41306438

See

>>41306410
>>41306411
>>
>>41306410
>>41306411
So for just general self defense, would Boxing and BJJ make sense?
>>
>>41306466
Yes. But focus more on boxing. BJJ is for taking down people in known confrontations not protecting yourself, getting away from and quickly ending ones with far more variables then you can think about.
>>
File: 1453611259692.png (1MB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1453611259692.png
1MB, 900x900px
>>41306524
Alright, cool, thanks anon!
>>
>>41302651
>thinking grappling is a meme
lol
>>
>>41306466
>>41306524
>>41306552

that might be right for how brazilian jiujitsu is taught nowadays in gyms abroad due to mma "sportization". here in brazil most jiujitsu gyms are still a self defence thing and not an mma training center
>>
>>41307189
It's shit for street confrontations anon. Accept it move on.
>>
>>41302651
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=boxing+vs+judo+gene

nice try faggot

as pure as style vs style could be
>>
>>41307686
>>41302651

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9mER2BmNRA

meant to post video
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POJ2T023M4I

this is just too cool
>>
File: icqk2JE.jpg (64KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
icqk2JE.jpg
64KB, 500x750px
im really enjoying judo, you have a lot camaraderie. Friendliest people i've met in fitness. Weight lifting is kind of lonely, and a lot of boxing is heavy bag / jogging /jump rope etc.

I don't really care if its good in a fite cause i'm not a nigger, so I don't get in fights. Its great as a sport and as a more enjoyable way to get some cardio in. And make a lil human contact rather than just shuffling from work to weights to internet to bed.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.