[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>went bouldering for the first time today >realize i have

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5

>went bouldering for the first time today
>realize i have shit core strength
>realize i have no grip strength
>tfw failed half of the V0 routes I tried
how do i improve?

>tfw no friends so i went by myself
>saw someone i know and they asked where my friends were
>just said i was here by myself and then they said, "well see you later"
what should i have said instead?

>tfw saw qt3.14 grills there
h-how do i make one my gf?

plz respond /fit/
>>
>>41269473
looks fun

is it fun?
>>
>how do i improve?
Climb more. Literally only thing you have to do.
>what should i have said instead?
you did fine anon, no spaghetti spilled.
>how do i make on my gf?
there's no universal answer

Bouldering is an awesome hobby you can basically dedicate most of your free time to. Do what is fun, world is your oyster.
>>
File: 1354868926591.jpg (204KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
1354868926591.jpg
204KB, 960x960px
>>41269473

I started climbing last year and I have some advice for you.

Don't boulder too much.

It's hard on your joints and tendons. I fucked up my shoulders after a few months because I was going too often. If your body hurts, stop, and let it rest until it stops hurting.

Also, look into some shoulder strengthening and mobility exercises, and make sure you go light on those. They're good balance for climbing.
>>
>>41269473
Look at the successful climbers. Tall. Rail thin. Giant forearms.

Of course, there are guys like John Dunne who managed to be relatively thicc and still climb 5.13s, but he's famous BECAUSE he's an exception, not in spite of it.

I'm 6'2, 230 lbs, and want to look good in a t shirt, so I'm not willing to lose a bunch of weight. I can comfortably climb 5.11s and V3s.

Added more pullups to my routine (can do 17 in a row now) and train grip 2-3 times per week.

Doubt I'll ever get significantly better, but like I said, that's the trade off.

Should've said, "I'm here alone, wanna work in together?"

And no lie, climbing is the best first Tinder date by a mile. Get to get your workout in, girl shows up in spandex, a reasonable excuse to put your hands on her, gets test flowing. Have a really good success rate with taking girls home afterwards.
>>
>>41269505
It really is.

Also serves as a good core/forearm workout even at low skill level.

Lets you meet people (even for a sperg like me)

Tons of fit cuties

As another anon said, watch the shoulders. Going for dynos/power moves not carefully enough can lead straight to snap city
>>
>>41269505
pretty fun

>>41269513
thanks

>>41269573
>Don't boulder too much.
i have no friends to do regular climbing with though
>>
File: 1354251539045.jpg (205KB, 500x383px) Image search: [Google]
1354251539045.jpg
205KB, 500x383px
>>41269702

>i have no friends to do regular climbing with though

Your gym likely hosts classes you can sign up for to learn the ropes (heh), I suggest doing that to meet people. It's a good way to find a partner at your skill level.

Don't boulder more than once a week (twice a week, max, with rest days in between) while you're still a beginner. Your joints and tendons need time to strengthen before you can go more often.

If your gym is like mine, then there's probably a cork board somewhere where people can advertise for climbing partners. Maybe try that? Your gym may also have an auto belay device so you can climb solo.
>>
File: c9.jpg (91KB, 640x1047px) Image search: [Google]
c9.jpg
91KB, 640x1047px
>>
>>41269702
Like another anon said, bouldering is hard on your joints and you need time to strengthen tendons and joints. That being said you can still boulder regularly with proper rests as long as you are bouldering routes that are not crimp or dyno intensive
>>
File: c3.png (981KB, 929x618px) Image search: [Google]
c3.png
981KB, 929x618px
>>41269473
>>
For me I go three times a week, then lift a bit after. Just climb, work on strength (do lots of types of problems, crimps, pinches, slopes, etc...), and do campuses (campus board or find an easy route on am overhang and climb it with no feet). Be sure to work antagonist muscles to avoid injury and to do better over all (bench, OHP, lower back, etc...). Lifting has also seemed to help me avoid injury (when I don't lift for a while my fingers and elbows can start to hurt, but when I start lifting again it goes away and stays away).

In all, have fun, but if you want to be good and avoid injury, treat it like a sport (train and lift for it). Also, don't climb every day (especially to start with).

And some counter points to what some people said: You can just boulder and avoid injury. You might be able to get injured more easily that lead climbing or top roping, but just be smart. And you can have some size and climb pretty good. I'm 220 and am doing V5s and improving (do need to cut quite a bit, though). Less weight does help, but as long as you're not a fat ass it's not the end all be all. That being said you probably don't want to be huge and try to climb hard routes.
>>
Got a friend whose 180lb that does v7s although the grading on my gym is softer. Makes it feel like you're progressing well. I've been at gyms that start murduring you at v3 which is lame in my opinion.

Point I'm trying to make is that you can climb at a good level while stille being big.

Other anons already said what needed to be said. My only bit of advice is to avoid fingerboards (hangboards) until you've been solid climbing for at least a year. Its easy to rip a tendon doing it.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.