[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>overhead press >3 sets of 6 at 45kg about 4 months ago

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

>overhead press
>3 sets of 6 at 45kg about 4 months ago
>3 sets of 6 at 47.5kg 3 months ago
>3 sets of 6 at 50kg 2 months ago
>can only get 3 sets of 4 reps for the next 4 weeks or so
>about 3 weeks ago get 6,5,4
>2 weeks ago get 6,6,5
>go on holiday for a week
>back to ohp yesterday
>got 4 reps, 3 reps then 0 reps

WTF THS FUCKING LIFT FUCK ME AAAAAH I FUCKING HATE IT AND LOVE IT AT THE SAME TIME
>>
>>41249111
i've been doing https://www.reddit.com/r/weightroom/comments/1l6crm/bill_starr_overhead_press_routine_review_finally/ and have been making amazing progress with it. went from 55 to 70 in a couple of months
>>
I've been pondering upon this and reading up a lot on the subject of stalling OHP and such, and i have come to the conclusion that it's because of 2 main factors that people stall / plateau on this lift.

1) most people have that want to improve their OHP have way too low training volume, doing a few sets of OHP once or twice a week

2) not enough shoulder isolations and complimentary excercises, such as pin press or whatever it's called (when you set the bar high on the rack and just lock it out)

Basically, it's like any other lift, your bench will stall at some point and you'll be forced to do board presses, incline bench, weighted dips to improve your bench indirectly

Furthermore, OHP is a really hard lift and generally it's reccomended to micro-load with like 1-2lbs at a time in order to hit new PRs.

And finally, nervous system fatigue also EXTREMELY affects OHP, way more than other lifts. For example, if i deadlift or squat the day before, i might still perform decently on my bench, but i'll absolutely blow out my OHP and perform maybe a single rep of my previous 5RM
>>
>>41249157
>>41249199
thanks great advice
>>
>>41249157
Go back to let redoid
>>
140lb manlet here. I did 105lbs 3x5 and the final two sets I had to test a fuck load and drop back down to 100. I'm doing Rippletits' push your hips forward with locked knees prior to driving the bar up technique.
>>
>>41249494
make some more manlet and tfw no gf threads
>>
>>41249111
if you want to progress with ohp you have to do it at least twice per week

i do 3x3 with 90-95% of 1rm and the next workout 3-5x-8 with 70-75%
>>
>>41249111
It's a pain to gain. Had similar experience with it. And improvement seems really random. I was stalling for 6 months on the same weights and now suddenly it improved. I'm pretty close to body weight OHP now (80kg at 83kg bw)
>>
>>41249199
I got great gains on OHP even on madcow 5x5 (low volume and OHP only once a week)

I got from 5x60kg to 5x75kg in like 4months.

I think that the reason for my succes was my BB work when i was a teenager. I did lots of upper body isolation exercises and build a good base. I always felt like i could just push, push and push in OHP / bench press while my friends just "lost the ability to push" during their set.

Having a good muscle balance in upper body really helps to get the bench press and OHP going.
>>
>>41249111
Do seated barbell OHP.

You start at lock-out so you can get more reps and do more weight.

It also transfers over to standing OHP. For me I was stuck at 65kg (for reps) when standing. When I did seated I was doing 3-4 reps of 62.5kg. Then when I went back to a strict standing OHP I was able to get 2 reps at 60kg.

I've started a cut since then, but will be doing the same thing when I go on a bulk, and I expect to be able to get more reps and weight.
>>
do you guys breathe between reps?
I feel that if i take a breath at each i completely lose all tightness after the first rep and can't continue.

thumbless or thumb around grip?

>>41249570
is the rippetoe version better than standard?
>>
>>41249828
Take a big breath
Unrack
Exhale while pressing
Inhale when locked out.
Works like a charm
>>
>>41249849
you cant exhale while pressing, you lose all pressure in your chest and you lose the weight completely.

maybe i could try exhaling and inhaling again at the top?
>>
>>41249828
exhale and new breath at the top when locked out
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.