[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have stalled twice on my OHP at the same weight (3x5 110 lbs)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 1427743784703-4.jpg (141KB, 900x593px) Image search: [Google]
1427743784703-4.jpg
141KB, 900x593px
I have stalled twice on my OHP at the same weight (3x5 110 lbs) on SS. Should I attempt a third deload or should I change my rep scheme to 3x3? Other suggestions?
>>
>>41205602

are the dudes wrists in the grey circle messed up? I always push straight like i'm benching.
>>
Accessories
Likely one side is holding you back
Use db shoulder presses to ensure you aren't overcompensating with the stronger arm
Landmines help too
>>
>>41205633

Yeah the forearms and elbows should be under the bar really.

The cue "push the elbows forward" may have led to this inaccurate infographic. Because the cue generally just ensures that people don't let there elbows drift backward which reduces lift efficiency and can be dangerous.
>>
you got stuck at 110lbs, which means that (assuming you are taking in enough calories and sleeping enough), 3 sets of 5 reps at 110lb is not sufficient stimulus to force an adaptation

you deloaded 10% and got stuck there again, because predictable, 110lb 3x5 and all the weights leading up to it were not enough stimulus to force an adaptation

now, you are suggesting lowering the rep scheme to 3x5, which would lower your volume and make the stimulus even smaller

see the issue here?

your volume for the overhead press needs to go up - you need more working sets, which can be done by deloading a bit more and doing 5x5 (and then build back up) or by adding back off sets at 8-10 reps for a few sets
>>
>>41205602
use this, great press routine http://startingstrength.com/articles/stronger_press_starr.pdf
>>
>>41205666
lowering the rep scheme to 3x3*

maybe try something like this

3x5

then strip off 10-20% (do this by feel) and knock out 2-3x8-10
>>
>>41205633
The point of that is to push your torso way back so there is the least leverage possible between the bar and your shoulder.
"doing SS" implies reading the book
>>
>>41205602
You're on SS, follow the program per the PPST3rd writeup. Switch the Press to 3x3 and continue your progression.

Once you're on stall on most of the lifts and are done with SS, then it's time to switch programs.
>>
>>41205704
also press is always first to stall so no surprises
>>
>>41205633
because it's a shit drawing

if you actually had your wrists cocked back like that (left image inside grey circle) you would have one hell of a moment arm between the bar and your wrist
>>
Just came back from the gym and did OHP. 52,5kg 5x5 at 72kg. Im still a beginner but according to symmetric strength my shoulders are the strongest compared to the rest of my body.
I started doing chin ups and ab exercises like dragon flags between my sets and I notice such a huge difference.

Watch this, has helped me a lot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc-WTp5Jcqs
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.