[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how do I use my abs during the overhead press? cause I feel it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: overheadpress.jpg (102KB, 900x593px) Image search: [Google]
overheadpress.jpg
102KB, 900x593px
how do I use my abs during the overhead press?
cause I feel it more in my lower back which I know is a bad thing
Im worried about messing up my back if I push past 1 plate
>>
>>41184665
you won't be able to hold much weight above your head if you have a weak core. learn how to breathe into your belly and engage your core. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZlZ4MsQQk8

breathing into your chest is useless since it does fuck all for core while belly breath and bracing your core will trap your spine and keep it in firm and safe space.

start using ab wheel or doing hanging leg raises
>>
>>41184665
Valsalva maneuver
>>
>>41184699
I already breath with my diaphragm passively
but if I flex my abs and try to breath at the same time I just can't, one has to give
its either flexed abs and no breathing or breathing but abs are relaxed
am I just doomed?
>>
>>41184732
You should be able to hold your breath for 1 rep. When the bar is back at shoulder height you can breathe.
>>
>>41184732
Big air in
Flex your abs, hold breath
Do your rep, exhale at the end of your rep
Repeat
>>
>>41184823
no, the bar should be at the top at lockout when you take in new breath because it's easier that way than when you are supporting it in your hands.

>>41184732
flex your abs after you take in the breath and hold it. you can practice that shit throughout the day, just brace your core every time after you take in a breath and hold it for a few seconds.

this is how you should press

>take in a breath and brace your core
>unrack and do a press
>exhale and breathe back in once the weight is above your head and safely locked out
>brace your core and repeat until done
>>
>>41184665
do a powerclean beforehand. at my gym pc's are banned so i just wear a belt for ohp
>>
In addition to what's been said, make you're you're not arching backwards to compensate for inflexible shoulders, which will obviously place more stress on the lower back and make it difficult if not impossible to effectively use your core.
>>
>>41184665
if you feel it in your lower back you either don't brace properly or are leaning back way too much to start the push

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc-WTp5Jcqs

watch this, maybe it will help some
>>
>>41184710
This and pinch your ass. That's all there is too it.
>>
>>41184897
>knees bent
>arched back
>bent elbows
>bar not completely overhead
>correct form

pick all but the last one
>>
>>41184938
knees should not be locked
>>
>>41184862
i prefer repping from the bottom. makes the bar path easier and makes it easier to hit heavy singles when you need them.
>>
>>41184938

Yeah ignore the left image, it was just the first one I saw on google demonstrating the problem on the right (which is also a less exaggerated problem on the left).
>>
>>41184944
It should, otherwise you waste power.
>>
>>41184710
Velveeta manuever
>>
>>41184944
this. locked knees is a surefire way to pass out,
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.