[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need guidance /fit/ I'm first in my family to go to college

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: wojak.jpg (99KB, 908x714px) Image search: [Google]
wojak.jpg
99KB, 908x714px
I need guidance /fit/

I'm first in my family to go to college (18 yrs old high school senior) so I have no clue what to expect or what I'm doing

I have to make a decision in 2 weeks and I've boiled it down to either two service academies (usma and usna) or berkeley engineering

money isn't a factor because the acadmies are free and berkeley is on a full ride

I'm no chad by any means but I get by and am social enough to get girls but the whole college decision is weighing on me.

I don't know If im ready to sign my life away for 9 years or fall for the stem meme. any advice would be greatly appreciated /fit/ you know I must be desperate to come to you guys but I know you might have some guidance or opinions that could help me out.

to keep this fit related have any of you tried that keto diet shit and does it work? considering trying my way with that as I heard it does wonders but idk if its a meme
>>
>>41114498
>>/Biz/
>>
File: image.jpg (153KB, 724x1024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
153KB, 724x1024px
Bee yourself
>>
>>41114383
congrats on Berkeley full ride. If it was my decision, I would go with Berkeley because going to an academy means you are tied into the service agreement and in a couple years you might be wishing that weren't the case.
>>
you should drop college and become a professional weight re-racker, it makes the big bucks plus you can lift for free at the gym
>>
>>41114536
but then again Berkeley is a liberal shithole right now and academies teach you invaluable skills in leadership and discipline
>>
>>41114383
If you can get an appointment to the Naval Academy, I would definitely go with that. It's a really good university, and being a naval officer is an extremely rewarding career. Even if you only do the required 4 or 5 years after graduation, you'll still come out with a great education and a lot of connections, and having that job on your resume is a bonus.
>>
I'd say Berkeley every guy I know who went the military route got fucked hard.

>friend gets recruited for naval nuclear engineering
>learned a bunch but wasn't able to take other classes or other specialties like promised

Knew another guy who signed up as a mechanic, specifically for engines and other shit like that. Learned nothing about that and spent his time doing basic auto shit, none of the certs he was promised etc.
>>
>>41114548
already got the appointments, have 2 weeks to decide. the drawback is being 27 and just getting into my career
>>
>>41114588
>he fell for the nuke meme

>>41114601
Believe me when I say this, go Navy. It is your best option by far.
>>
>>41114636
what is your reasoning?
>>
File: images.jpg (16KB, 290x174px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
16KB, 290x174px
>>41114383
Normally I'd say berk, however the shit storm that has happened there more and more would make it a more hostile environment but I dunno how the liberals have affected the stem side of the uni maybe look into it, so maybe the service is more your thing. I can't speak for the other courses but I can say engineering is great fun but yes difficult, I would suggest you pick up a social type club as well, my best friends are from my jujitsu club but not many from my actual course and if they have a freshers week go to rucking everything you can. shit will most likely be the all the best you will get in a week then nothing else is on. As for the whole family side of it Yeah I'm the last to go and the first engineer so im not in the same boat but at least on the same river, I can tell you it's not as bad as you think, they make these first years simpler than you might believe , however the second year you gotta go hard at it. From what the final year students have told me sandwich years are great if you wanna get a job after college and as an engineer it almost an easy step to a high paying job right out the gate
To keep things /fit/ my friend does keto and it works for him however you need to be very strict, most diets have a bit of wiggle on the fat like oh no I went to 60g instead of 50-55g, you can't do that with keto. It needs to be on point, but at the end of the day every diet will work for someone find the one that works for you but don't change randomly give it a cut and see how you turn out, good luck mate we can all make it in the end
>>
>>41114658
thanks man i appreciate the reply
>>
Go Berkley, you can go international and work somewhere like Singapore or Dubai.

Tax free, usually 1.5x the salary you get in the US.
Srs, with the Navy, thw qualification are useful within the US, but not so much outside of it.

Berkley gives you more leeway, and you go abroad and earn more than you would in the Navy.
>>
>>41114636
He did fall for the nuke meme, I mean he got a masters out of it but his brother is finishing up his PHD so idk. Go Berkeley if you plan on the full PHD route, military if you don't want to do that
>>
>>41114383
Congratulations on your acceptances! I would say definitely go for Berkeley, having a full ride there is amazing!

Berkeley has one of the best Engineering and CS departments anywhere and studying there will open up so many doors for you.

Source: CS PhD working a cushy well paying job in the bay area

Fuck keto, perma bulk ftw
>>
>>41114712
How much if you don't mind asking? I've heard of people making bank but living in the bay area is so expensive that they barely get by (I'm planning on majoring in EECS if I end up at berkeley btw)
>>
Of topic for a bit but I am in a similiar situation. I am poor so I gotta a job to save and pay for uni and it is going great. The problem is I will have enough money saved up at the end of the year but my boss just offerd me a big promotion to supervisor. He knows I want to study next year but this will mean I wont be able to.
>>
>>41114848
Go to Uni, you can lose the supervisor position, you can't lose a degree.
>>
>>41114848
tough to say, if you see yourself in the new position as a step for your career than stay, if not go to uni
>>
>>41114858
>uni meme
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.