[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I got health insurance recently so I went to get a regular checkup,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: springraw.jpg (159KB, 1224x1224px) Image search: [Google]
springraw.jpg
159KB, 1224x1224px
I got health insurance recently so I went to get a regular checkup, which includes blood work.

My TSH level came back at 7.53. I'm 20 years old and have a BMI of 19. Though this indicates hypothyroidism to some extent, I still don't really know what it means at this level, especially since I don't have a lot of the symptoms. I've never tried to lose a large amount of weight because I've always been skinny (usually an indicator of hypothyroidism is being overweight/having a hard time losing weight). I don't have dry skin. The only symptoms that pop out at me are fatigue and cold sensitivity, but that's definitely been manageable with adderall and sweaters.

My doctor emailed me with my results saying that I'll need to start taking levothyroxine, and that he sent the prescription to my pharmacy to pick up the same day.

Does hypothyroidism just gradually get worse or something? At 7.53, I'm not sure if I should act on this. I've heard once you start taking levothyroxine, you have to take it for the rest of your life.

I'm trying to navigate jewgle to research this but it's inundated mommy blogs speculating that they have hypo because they're fat even though their TSH is normal, and that the doctors must be lying (because why would they be fat!?!?!).

I'm also wondering if it's because *eventually* I'll start exhibiting more symptoms, so it's better to start taking the meds now. Has anyone dealt with this/taken these meds? How did they affect your appetite/health? Does hypo negate calories in/calories out or something?

Thanks buddies
>>
File: 1491120139176.jpg (350KB, 1800x1322px) Image search: [Google]
1491120139176.jpg
350KB, 1800x1322px
If you were fine your whole life and you're over 21, you shouldn't take the meds.

Eat your healthy meals, vary your vegetables, eat a piece of fruit a day and drink water/milk each day.

Fuck medicine when it's not needed. Take 'em when you start getting fat through eating at or below your TDEE.
>>
Just read that you're 20, don't take them anyway unless symptoms start popping up.
>>
>>41083458
>Because the body is expecting a certain amount of thyroid hormone the pituitary will make additional thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) in an attempt to entice the thyroid to produce more hormone. This constant bombardment with high levels of TSH may cause the thyroid gland to become enlarged and form a goiter (termed a "compensatory goiter").

>Left untreated, the symptoms of hypothyroidism will usually progress. Rarely, complications can result in severe life-threatening depression, heart failure, or coma.

Don't worry about it anon; we're all gonna die anyways. You'll just die quite a bit sooner :).
>>
>>41083706
This. Take your drugs.

t. nurse
>>
>>41083727
Do you think 7.53 is that high risk though?
>>
>>41083994
Dude, levo is a low-risk, well-tolerated therapy. TAKING YOUR FUCKING THYROID MEDS. There's NO reason to fuck around with a shitty weak HPA axis.
>>
>>41084039
How is it with appetite?
>>
you're 20, don't medicate yourself so early. That TSH isn't that high, look up dr brownstein's iodine, selenium research and get yourself a spectracell micronutrient panel and fix whats necessary. Those two can flip it around fairly quickly.

What is your FT3? make sure you check for thyroid antibodies next time. There are so many good resources for this, look up "Why Do I Still Have Thyroid Symptoms?" by Dr. Datis Kharrazian
>>
i'll have to find my test results but...

i had chemo and radiation in my late teens and one of the things they keep an eye on is my thyroid as much of the radiation was targeted towards my neck and upper torso.

my levels have fluctuated quite a bit and, many times, would hover very close to the clinical diagnosis of hypothyroidism. i strongly opposed taking any medication for it, as i never really showed severe symptoms, and, thankfully, my levels were able to hold steady. i'm now in my later 20s.

t. anecdotal
>>
>>41084608
I didn't get an FT3, I'm thinking about going to an endocrinologist now
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.