[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm an 18 Y/O NEET and I think construction would be a good

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4

File: dem boiz.jpg (311KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
dem boiz.jpg
311KB, 1000x750px
I'm an 18 Y/O NEET and I think construction would be a good choice for me. The problem is that I don't know how to use tools. Should I go to trade school for this, or find an apprenticeship? Ask a neighbor for help? Is construction a bad choice? Is there a better trade to go into?
>>
>>41078609
Depends where do you live?
>>
This is really just anecdotal, but I'll throw in my two cents.

I used to be like you as a kid, couldn't use any tools and really just generally felt useless in that regard. But I was lucky, my dad is a very good carpenter, grandfather is an amazing mechanic and built his own racecars back in the 60s/70s. Uncle makes like 250k working on gas station equipment. Being around them I've slowly slowly picked up on things where as of now (24 y/o), I'm probably handier than 90% of people my age.

So my suggestion would be to go to a construction company and apply for a job. Be completely honest and tell them you're a retard. But you're willing to work hard digging holes and moving bags of concrete. People like that respect hard work over everything else. They won't care that you can't use a nail gun, if you're willing to bust your ass for 8 hours in the sun. Over time, you'll learn how to do things from the other guys.
>>
>>41078609
Go to trade school bro. Also if your looking for building trades, work in commercial/industrial construction not residential construction. You'll make more money.
>Your body will get worn out though
>t. 24 y/o diesel mechanic with hearing loss
>>
>>41078609
>Is there a better trade to go into?- 3 posts shown.
Yes, you'll soon be replaced by a robot and find yourself relying on basic income. Get into engineering so that you can make the robots.
>>
>being so fucking dumb that you don't go to college after highschool

just kill yourself OP
>>
>>41078609
I'm sometimes interested in a career like construction or working in a metal shop or something, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't fit in at all with the other people there, so my interest doesn't last long. Even if the job itself was fun, it'd be shitty having to listen to my coworkers.
>>
>>41078716
Lol it's the office jobs that will be replaced idiot. The highly specialized trades backed by mafia tier unions will be the last to be automated.
>>
> Is there a better trade?

Yeah, film/tv

Perks

> Money is way better
> Perks are way better

Cons

> Hours are way longer
> Super hard to get into in the first place
>>
>>41078892
Lol, what a joke, do you seriously believe that the engineers will be replaced before the factory workers? That's so backwards I don't even care to explain it. Use your brain. Enjoy your welfare.
>>
>>41078727
>being so fucking dumb you put yourself $100,000 in debt before you have a job or any work experience to speak of

Op any construction job you get is going to suck shit for about a year, physically and mentally. Yet it will teach you how to work hard as fuck and fast as fuck, if you transfer from construction to just about any other job you'll be a very valuable employee. That is unless you're just generally retarded and lazy as fuck. Then id suggest working for the government where you'd fit right in
>>
>>41078922
>factory
yeah maybe
>electricians
maybe in 50 years when AI can compete with a human brain. oh wait then theres also the problem with a functioning body/machine that can carry out the tasks required. oh also its going to have to cost less than a human and make less mistakes.
>>
>>41078957
Electricians will be around longer than factory workers, yeah, but there's simply no way they'll be around longer than engineers whose job it is to actually make a cheaper replacement for other jobs. Become an electrical engineer, not a fucking electrician.
>>
>>41078922
>thread about construction workers
>brings factory workers into it out of nowhere
You fucking wot m8?
>>
>>41078976
if you've ever spent a day in the field you should know that skilled labor like electricians wont be replaced for years and years after we are dead or possibly never. Technologically possible within the century, maybe. Financially logical within the century, hell no.
>>
>>41078996
The same thing applies to construction workers in the long run. You see those big machines that make all those noises? Before those were around, you needed 10 times as many workers to do the same job. Are you really this fucking thick that you can't see how working construction is going the way of automation? A hundred years ago people were riding around on horse carriages, now we're being driven by AI on highways.

>>41079007
If you knew one bit about engineering, you'd know that it's relatively easy to replace our current electrical systems with new ones that will last longer with less maintenance and pretty much automate their installation.
>>
>>41078684
This

t. I work construction. Started working my ass off doing bitch work and because I worked so hard while learning things I moved up. Now I'm a foreman and manage a crew.

Just work hard. Think of it as a constant workout you get paid for. I've never had a boss who didn't love me for my work ethic which has made raises and promotions come easy.
>>
>>41079024
>automate their installation
yeah you've never tried installing anything i see
>>
>>41079024
I know enough about robitics to tell how full of shit you are. Robots have come far but they are still buggy, cost alotband generally a hazard to use
>>
>>41079054
Lol, let me just...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanorobotics

See what engineering can accomplish? But I guess installing electricity in homes is so fucking complicated there's simply no way it can be done automatically, right?

>>41079057
I'm not saying we can just start using them for everything NOW. But just look at how far we've come in the last 20 years and extrapolate, I'm sure you can figure this one out. Your jobs are going bye-bye, boys. Maybe you should have studied, LOOOOL.
>>
>>41079024
Don't listen to this retard OP. Trades will not go away in our life time and most will never go. Let's see a robot collaborate with a client.

>Inb4 this faggot with no experience in a trade says anymore bullshit.

A trade is a safe honest way to make a decent living.
>>
>>41079042
This guy gets it. I had worked construction for several months and I totally agree with this guy.

My advice:
- Dont argue. Just do whatever the older guys ask you.
- Dont try to be a smart ass. Learn to small talk about nonsensical things. I have become very socially confident after the months I did manual labor.
>>
>>41079066
>nanorobotics
nigger what?
please explain how nano robots will install a single fucking thing
>>
>>41079077
You're a fucking moron. Nanorobotics are WAY MORE advanced than installing fucking copper wires, it's fucking mind-numbing that you don't get this into your head. YOUR JOB IS SOON VERY EASILY REPLACED. IT'S ALREADY IN MOTION. ENJOY UNIVERSAL BASIC INCOME. Fucking dip shit.
>>
>>41079094
yes nanorobotics are some pretty advanced shit.
now please explain to me how a team of robots are going to: A. order a transformer B. run the conduit for said transformer C. pull wire for said transformer D. land the wire E. connect the wire to proper switch gear F. handle all the branch circuits...... this list can go on for years

after you explain any of that please explain how it would be any more cost effective or faster than a person
>>
File: 1453258780911.jpg (109KB, 683x642px) Image search: [Google]
1453258780911.jpg
109KB, 683x642px
>being 80 at 55 years old
t. my dad
>>
>>41079094
Not
>>41079077
But It's mind boggling how you think your NEET opinion on a subject you obviously have no real world experience in matters.
>>
>>41079116
alright well im done feeding the trolls for tonight.
thanks for derailing op's thread with your bullshit
>>
>>41079111
>A. order a transformer B. run the conduit for said transformer C. pull wire for said transformer D. land the wire E. connect the wire to proper switch gear F. handle all the branch circuits
I don't claim to have the solution to said problem, but on the other hand I probably couldn't come up with driver-lesscars and autopiloted aeroplanes either, so what's your fucking point? Look at the motherboard of the computer you're typing this garbage on, do you think it took a fucking electrician to do that soldering or do you think it was done by a robot? We're 3D printing entire homes now, fuck.
>>
>>41079057
It's not just robotics, when machines can produce goods 5x 10x as fast, the production to worker ratio increase greatly, requiring fewer and fewer shifts/operators to get the same amount of work done.
>>
>>41079131
building electronics and creating nano robots is so far removed from what a construction electrician does.

and to reiterate. im not saying its impossible to create a team of robots to do what a construction crew does. But that its going to take several decades to get to that point. Also it will be so grossly cost ineffective that arguing the point that people shouldn't join a construction trade because they will be soon be replaced by automation is the worst advice one can give.
>>
>>41079141
produce goods... like on an assembly line.
the computer you are using is made on an assembly line. the house you are sitting in was made by hand. there is a difference
>>
>>41079130
You got it wrong. I was telling nanobot kid to fuck off.
>>
>>41079131
Your bullshit nanobot fetish lacks complete understanding of the electrical trade. What about the unknown variables involved on preexisting infrastructure? In other words 90% of electrical work.

You have no clue what your talking about and don't realize that everyone in this thread realizes it.
>>
>>41079168
This. These nanobot retards lack so much real world experience it's astounding you were able to remain so ignorant. They should just go back to fapping to hentai.
>>
>>41079224
You're making it out to be some obstacle that's impossible to overcome. It's laughable that your only argument is that *I personally* don't know how to solve it, when in reality, there's some very very very very smart people out there who likely already have something thought out and who are just waiting until the time is right to start implementing it.

Think of it this way... There are still cars being driven around by people, where you have to manually roll the windows using the mechanical force of your hand. At the same time there are electrical cars, which are being driven automatically, by computers, using sensors and GPS satellites. We walked on the fucking moon almost 50 years ago. Things are moving extremely quickly and just because some dumdum on the Internet can't figure out a way to automate their line of work doesn't mean it's not possible, even today.

I'm an engineer by the way, so I *do* know what I'm talking about.
>>
>>41079330
hey faggot. for the last time. we arnt saying engineering isnt some hot shit. But you have no fucking idea how many variables are involved on a construction job. you literally need to have a functioning AI to do it as well as and as cheaply as humans do. Then you're dealing with a consciousness that might not even want to do your stupid human work and would rather fuck off to a music festival and figure out the meaning of magnets and man buns
>>
File: autism.jpg (25KB, 450x400px) Image search: [Google]
autism.jpg
25KB, 450x400px
>>41079363
>AI
>dealing with a consciousness
And you say *I* don't know what I'm talking about, Jesus Christ
>>
you two are gay, just fuck already and stop arguing over robots you fucking fags
>>
>>41079405
did skynet send you
>>
>>41079412
(You)
>>
File: 1398257230306.jpg (179KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
1398257230306.jpg
179KB, 960x960px
I fucking knew coming into this thread some autistic engineer would be here arguing about how we're all going to be replaced by robots.

Top fucking kek.
>>
>>41078703
no people will laugh at you if you go to trade school to "learn how to use tools"
>>
>>41078609
Try stagehands.If you live in a larger city, there must be some crew. They always welcome new people, even inexperienced, provided they can work hard and long hours. Festival season slowly starts, m8, dont miss the train.
>>
>>41079370

I think the point you're missing Mr Engineer is that yes, while it will eventually happen and full automation will come and pretty much the only jobs in the world will be the guys that build robots and the guys that repair them that is a long way off, so telling some 18 year old not to learn a trade because he won't have a job is silly.

Yeah, eventually that advice will be sound, but most likely not in our lifetime.

> Hurr technology grows exponentially

Yeah but we're still a fuckin long way off
>>
it'd be easier to make a robot actor/teacher/manager than it would be to make a robot plumber

trades are way safer than other jobs from automation.
>>
>>41078609
If you want to get into the trades, I'd go for welding, plumbing, or electrician. You'll make more money and still have enough energy to workout. Construction will destroy you.
>>
>>41079066
Nanorobotics isn't used on anything outside of a lab. Nice strawman, faggot
>>
>>41078727

The US has a retarded system when it comes to education, not everyone is meant to go to college and not everyone is meant to get a STEM degree.
Making people feel inadequate because they didn't go to college just feeds into the massive education bubble you have going.
Going to a trade school or getting an apprenticeship straight out of high school is not terrible and can earn you more than someone who studied some bullshit degree in college or someone who forced his way through STEM but finished with shit grades.
Some of my German friends started earning their own money at 16 and became completely independent, including their own place and car that they pay for, at 18.
They earned money for 5 years and garnered actual work experience while the people fresh out of college deal with debt and struggle to find a job, potentially having to move back to mom and dad.
I'm not saying that college sucks but it's not the holy grail that surely grants you a perfect life either.

t. angry germanfag
>>
>>41079566
Don't bother. He's probably never done anything manual in his life and doesn't understand how many small variables there are that require human consideration and discussion in labour jobs. Too used to working on computers, thinking in zeros and ones.
>>
>>41080101

that's what's so ironic, the people working through computers, think a computers sooner going to be able to deal with a leaking pipe than do their own job.
>>
>>41078892

Wrong. I've been a member of the steam fitters union in DC, and the way we do things has changed dramatically in the last 5 years.

Cheap Mexican labor pre fabs 20 foot racks with all our piping attached, so we just connect them together in the field. Prior to this, everything was installed one section of piping at a time. Robots will be able to connect these racks soon

We also used to have a crew of 10 men responsible for the installing our hangers, which required being a little more intelligent than the average worker. We now have a piece of equipment on wheels that has replaced all 10 of them, and can be run by a 8 year old.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.