[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is killing yourself in the gym normal? I'm doing Stronglifts

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 1467971102901.png (71KB, 600x857px) Image search: [Google]
1467971102901.png
71KB, 600x857px
Is killing yourself in the gym normal?

I'm doing Stronglifts 5x5, and I have reached 245 in my squats. Ever since I reached 225, squats have been KILLING ME. I have to reach deep down into my core to complete my sets, and 3 minute rests aren't enough for my last 2 sets. I get absolutely exhausted after my sets.

Is this normal? I know obviously no pain no gain, but is this amount of physical suffering normal?
>>
Nope.
Check your form(make a vid of you squatting,post it here asking for critique) and watch videos on squatting form and compare to your own.

If you find nothing wrong; check with a doctor and stop lifting
>>
>>41031939
Yeah I'll get a form check but I'm pretty sure my form is decent. I'm not in pain or anything, it's just that squats just tire me the fuck out.
>>
>>41031955
In that case read both of these.
http://www.strongerbyscience.com/increasing-work-capacity/
http://www.strongerbyscience.com/how-to-squat/
>>
>>41032006
Thanks for the readings man! You're a standup lad
>>
>>41031906
I made it to 255 before I started having to take 4 minutes rests and having a wreaked CNS afterwards to the point of feeling sick (not to my stomach but I felt as if I was sick in terms of muscle fatigue and general feeling).

Now let me make an assumption: your upper body is not progressing as much as you want - particularly in the looks department. My theory on that, based on reading anything I can get my hands on - and common sense... With the Strong Lift Program you naturally see the biggest gains with squats, and get to a point where you are pushing them out with every fiber of your soul. I know that feeling. I know when rep four seems like something you only did because your brain triggered a survival instinct - and you still have one to do. I know what it feels like to not want to abuse the "out of the hole" bounce, but to get to a point where you can fuck it up without collapsing.

So after your workout, when you take your isolate and eat your cottage cheese, where does the protein go? My theory is that it goes to your swollen as fuck legs. Quads eat all your gains. You want biceps and chest? Shoulders? Fuck you, you get quads. Your body because a machine that lives only to make quads.

This is what I did to over come it. First, I deloaded to 225 for 3 sets of 5. No progression, just 225 each time. I kept working hard on my deadlifts, and got them up to 315. But my upper body was still not moving much at all - and worse still, I was not doing my bench press correctly (stopping at 90 degrees because someone told me to - which was was like six million inches above contact with my bird-like chest). So when I started doing bench press like a man, I lost my pitiful gains on it all together. At the end of the day, I still felt like my legs were eating my gains. Someone I know told me that my back being weak as fuck was going to take me to snap city if I kept pushing past 315 deadlift. My row was 95.

So I created an Upper Body, Lower Body split.
>>
>>41032081
Mon: Lower:
5x5 Squat
4x8 barbell hip raises
4x8 Romanian Deadlift
4x8 barbell calf raises

Tuesday: Upper
5x5 Bench
5x5 Pendaly Row (to chest)
4x8 barbell Tricep extensions (skull crushers)
4x8 dumbell literal raises

Wed: Off

Thursday
5x5 Squat
1x5 Deadlift
4x8 Shrug

Friday
5x5 OHP
5x5 Reverse Grip Rows (to gut)
4x8 Bicep Curl
4 x f Chin up
>>
>>41032081

>>41032135

Once I separated lower and upper body to different days, I really started to feel the workout where I wanted to feel it. My upper body is finally starting to show signs of life. Also, my legs are not neglected.

I still recommend SL to those starting out. You just have to know when you are ready for something else.
>>
>>41031906
Heels shoulder width apart. Keep your chest up and eyes forward. Drive with your hips. Warm up with the bar.
>>
>>41031906
switch to another routine, 245 is about where you should go off stronglifts.

I'd recommend something totally different, easy strength is a pretty good "next step" especially if you are getting burnt out by 5x5s but want to keep going up on the weight for compounds.

either that or some madcow shit.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eHZIbAznkA
Yes, but ensure you're eating right, sleeping right, and all that jazz.
Watch that video it's really good
>>
File: med_1474673061_image.jpg (43KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
med_1474673061_image.jpg
43KB, 640x480px
>>41031906
If you wish to succeed then your mind must be hard and joyless like the Russian turnip.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.