[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did rack pulls for the first time. Was able to lift up to 5pl8,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_0547.jpg (113KB, 885x654px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0547.jpg
113KB, 885x654px
Did rack pulls for the first time. Was able to lift up to 5pl8, meanwhile my deadlift is only 3pl8.

How come I didn't get tired in the back or elsewhere? Is it a meme?
>>
File: 1489795880038.png (343KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1489795880038.png
343KB, 1000x1000px
>>41009100
the most mechanically disadvantageous position in the deadlift is the very bottom

even if you have issues locking out, it's likely because your form was compromised by the initial pull from the floor and the bar is now too far out of position in front of you

the rack pull eliminates all of this, lets you pull from a mechanically superior position

(contrary to what a lot of retards think, the short range of motion is not what's making the rack pull easier - if this was the case, you would be able to pull supramaximally from your feet to your knees)

is it a meme depends on why you are doing it

for deadlift carryover, rack pulling above the knees has dubious (read: probably none) carryover to your deadlift

if you set the pins below the knees, it might help if you tend to lose velocity in the deadlift in this position (this is why Sheiko prescribes box pulls from this position, it lets you overload this range of motion with a less fatiguing movement)

if you want to do rack pulls for the upper body development, they are definitely not a meme, a lot of lifters swear by them, great way to develop trap and back thickness in the same way as a deadlift but with much less stress on the lower back (and with much more of a training effect due to the extremely heavy weight you can use)

Eric Bugenhagen does a fuckload of heavy rack pulls with a lot of weight and swears by them, and anyone who has ever done some rack pulls with 90% of their deadlift max knows how much it hits the traps and upper back
>>
>>41009209
>if this was the case, you would be able to pull supramaximally from your feet to your knees)

Very well written anon. I see a lot of people failing to lock out and training bands and block pulls heaps to try and compensate for it.

Do you think it's a hips to low, bar too forward problem? That's my position.
>>
File: IMG_0598.jpg (63KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0598.jpg
63KB, 500x500px
>>41009209
Everyone says it's the worst doms you'll ever feel.
>tfw no doms at all
>>
File: 1491390296023.png (52KB, 259x226px) Image search: [Google]
1491390296023.png
52KB, 259x226px
>>41009235
i don't think it's necessarily a hips too low problem, as much as a bar too far forward problem

in my personal experience whenever my center of gravity shifts forward and my legs extend prematurely when i'm trying to break off the floor, i will have a very difficult time locking out

noticed this improved with pull-to-knees and a lot of lighter, form focused deadlift sets, so maybe try that type of stuff
>>
>>41009270
how high did you set the pins?

ROM still matters in producing a training effect, if you did 1 inch rack pulls with 500lbs you won't feel as much as if you did 500lbs from just 2-3in above the knees
>>
>>41009280
Just above the knee. I will try again today, any tips?
>>
>>41009270
>Everyone says it's the worst doms you'll ever feel.
A week or so ago I had to carry two fucking heavy batteries (about 30kg each? not sure) across 1.5k

I've never felt doms like I did the next morning in my life. Had to do an awkward bent over thrust-curl to pick the lightest of things up off the ground for about 2 days. It felt fantastic, I swear my traps got visibly bigger from that too.

I'm going to incorporate rack pulls and farmers walks into my routine from now on. I'm going to have a Traps day.
>>
>>41009310
I wish I had a strongman gym, but we only got barbell and racks. Can't complain tho.
>>
thats funny i can barely do 8 reps at 3.5 plates and i DL 3pl8 for reps
>>
>>41009301
do more sets, do more reps

you'll get the DOMS if you go hard enough, might even want to set the rom a little higher to like 2-3 inches above the knees and really load up the weight
>>
>>41009271
>hips too low problem, as much as a bar too far forward problem

often hips being too low is a 1:1 relationship with knees going forward which causes the bar to be moved forward by the shins.

I've noticed too that a lot of the times people fail at lockout their legs were extended very early on.
>>
>>41009356
depends on leverage and such

some people are bad at the lockout and can benefit from rack pulls, some (most) people are bad at the initial lift and can benefit from deficits and hamstring work

related to leg length and arm length
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.