[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Redpill me on boxing. I have like the perfect body-type for fightning

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 7

File: 5432525252626.jpg (370KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
5432525252626.jpg
370KB, 800x450px
Redpill me on boxing. I have like the perfect body-type for fightning but my family and friends say to not do it because all it will end with is pain and more pain and its not like i have any chance of going competitive starting at 19. Is it that bad?
>>
People who say you'll end up a vegetable are the type that think you have to spar hard every night, even if you're not competitive.

That said, MMA would be a better choice for self defence. Wider range of moves and the average person can't shoot a takedown or grapple for shit. You can also win a fight without possibly damaging their brain or killing them.
>>
File: 1484607168850.gif (921KB, 417x232px) Image search: [Google]
1484607168850.gif
921KB, 417x232px
>>40996874
Don't be a loser giving up cause other say so. If you already get thrown off cause your mates don't believe in you then you should just quit it like a fag.
>>
>>40996893
Its better to go with boxing for like a year then go into MMA seeing as every UFC fighter i see has the fucking worst punches on this planet.

Hell Conor who is claimed to be the next big thing is a failed Boxer from what i remember
>>
Do what you wanna do, if you listen to other people they'll make the decision for you
>>
>Former Golden Gloves boxer and BJJ brown belt here

First off you can totally be competitive starting at 19, most of the people I train with that fight both amateur and pro have almost all started after they were out of highschool. If I were you I would find a reputable school near you and start beginning lessons. A good school will never let you start sparring you first several weeks. Also, pain is just apart of the game, you're are going to be hurting physically and mentally, especially if you're like most of /fit/ and do next to nothing cardio. You either fall in love with the pain, get used to it, or never get over it, most people fall into the second category. And if you're worried about brain damage, as long as you are not sparring everyday of the week, spar light, and take precaution if you feel like you might be concussed you'll be fine.
>>
>>40996941
That's true, but if you're just someone who wants to have some self defence skills and/or a useful hobby, MMA is a better choice IMO because you also get kicks, knees, elbows and grappling. More bang for your buck.
>>
>>40996874
>my family and friends say to not do it because all it will end with is pain and more pain
Unless you go to a gym full of retards, your head will very rarely get smashed. Actually training against other beginners is often the most dangerous because that's where you'll find the assholes who are here to brawl. In my kick-boxing gym assholes often end up on the ring against one of the competitors, learns his lessons and calm down or never come back. Once the beginners start mixing with the veterans things always go smoothly because veterans are here to enjoy themselves, not to destroy the noobs.
The only time you get punched hard is when you decide to get on the ring and spar with the competitors who obviously have to prepare their next competition so they won't babysit you. You'll get hit hard but they aren't retards either, if the skill gap is too big they won't go all out on you of course.

>its not like i have any chance of going competitive starting at 19. Is it that bad?
Bullshit, you can compete at any age. I got into kick-boxing at 17 and started competing at 22. Of course you'll never go pro but amateur competitions are a thing, they're fun as hell and you'll rarely get matched against someone who's way too strong for you.
>>
File: 1488906192516.jpg (23KB, 514x544px) Image search: [Google]
1488906192516.jpg
23KB, 514x544px
>>40996996
>Of course you'll never go pro
Thats wrong tho. Unless you are like 35. Browne started at 26 and he became a MMA legend,

Most fighters hit their peak at around 35.
>>
File: C0CpDpuXcAAlcpZ.jpg (73KB, 604x680px) Image search: [Google]
C0CpDpuXcAAlcpZ.jpg
73KB, 604x680px
>>40996874
so what if you cant go competitive. thousands of people do martial arts and never compete because its fun.

and people saying you'll get hurt think that you spar everyday and that sparing is an all out brawl
>>
>>40997035

ur mom makes me peak like 35 times namean
>>
File: 1483852716733.jpg (41KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1483852716733.jpg
41KB, 480x360px
>>40997289
that's cuz she's a slut.
>>
>>40996874
in this case fuck what they tell you and do what you wanna
>>
>>40997035
Pro fighters are one in a million, it'd be wrong to tell OP that going pro is totaly a possibility
>>
>>40996941
He was a fairly successful boxer (and you can see that in his fights) but I would guess he felt MMA was more monies for less effort or something.

Also your stance in Muay Thai is necessarily different to a typical boxing stance because of kicks, but most Muay Thai guys do suck bad at punching it's true.

>>40996874
Find somewhere with sparring but where the majority of the sparring is technical sparring. Anyone who thinks you need to get punched in the head a lot to become a good boxer is retarded. Also no idea what you mean by a good body type, it's one of the few sports where body type varoes tremendously.
>>
>>40996874
19 doesn't necessarily mean you cant compete.
>>
File: rsz_20170406_200559.jpg (493KB, 2328x1310px) Image search: [Google]
rsz_20170406_200559.jpg
493KB, 2328x1310px
OP, im 34 and started boxing 6 months ago. I jump rope, heavy bag, double end bag, slip bag, slip line all in my garage. Im 6'2 and 210lbs.

Train about 1 hour a day on average. Have gotten pretty good. I have a martial arts background and am in very good shape. I do 2500 repetitions of jump rope and 2500 punches of various combinations on the bags per workout.

I do some weight exercises mostly shoulders and chest (105lb dumbell press). The DB on the pic is 30lb for lateral raises.

I dont think i could go pro but i am considering joining a gym for sparring practice since i can kill the double end bag and slip bag. I also want to test if i am deluding myself.

Id like to do a few ametuer fights as well, but who knows.

I say go for it.
>>
>>40996874
Amateur fighter here

Started at 19 and 27 now. Actually on my way to peterborough to fight tonight. Boxing was the best thing I ever did, gave me confidence, understand fitness and diet and gave me a work ethic when I was a lazy neet.
>>
I know nothing of fighting.

Is it possible to train in these disciplines, and improve, without sparring?
I'm also thinking of Muay Thai here.

Sure you need to spar to test yourself, but I'm really not interested in getting my ass kicked 6 times a month.

Can I just show up, punch some bags and do some drills or whatever, and be improving as a fighter at the same time?
>>
>>40996874
>Body type for fighting
That doesn't exist. That's why weight classes are a thing. Fighting is 100% mentality and training.
>>
>>40999773
You can improve your punching/kicking technique
>>
File: 1457890887980.jpg (110KB, 394x394px) Image search: [Google]
1457890887980.jpg
110KB, 394x394px
If it's not your career, the brain damage isn't worth it.
>>
> 19
> to old

Lol. Francis Ngannou didn't start boxing untill he was 22 and he started mma in 2013. He's 30 now and is one scariest fighters alive, and the UFC's best up an coming prospect.

Anyway at very least try it out. You may not keep up with it the fist time your punched in the face, it's not fun. You may love it though, who knows. Also bjj is a great sport to get into and is super addicting. Just keep in mind combat sports are very hard on the body. Good luck.
>>
Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
>>
Gonna sign up at my local boxing gym tomorrow as they're offering a good price for three months.

Is 3 times boxing and one time kickboxing a week enough to get good enough in universal fighting? Basically I want to get so good at fighting that I can protect myself and bring down anyone who asks for a fight. Not competition or any sorf of stuff.
>>
>>40998700
That's my fucking dream right there. Having enough money to make my own little boxing gym so I can train there and lift wiegths.

Only problem is I'll have to get someone to spar with me some times.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.