[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

After 7 years of lifting , I still don't understand how

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: calvin klein.png (2MB, 867x887px) Image search: [Google]
calvin klein.png
2MB, 867x887px
I've been lifting for years and I never got one thing: how to determine how much to lift. I'll explain.

I've heard the maxim of training to failure, pushing yourself to the limit etc. So I've always done that. Problem is, if I do 10 reps on the first set and that's failure, there's NO FUCKING WAY I'll be able to do another 10 with less than 3 minutes rest.

This has always messed me up. Should I lift less and do 10 and have it not be failure? That always felt like a fucking warmup.

The way I dealt with it was to do reverse pyramids and just drop the weight with every set, but is that how it's supposed to be?

I don't get it. What's the standard way of doing this? To only fail on the last set?!

Halp

And I'll send you homebaked protein cookies
>>
>>40936442
just fail on your last set.
>>
>being this retarded after seven years

post your body
>>
>>40936472

I feel like that xkcd comic where he says every day some people learn last what is obvious to the rest of the world.

So you're telling me

that for years

I've been going balls to the wall on every single set

when all I had to do was fail on the last?

wew lad

i failed at more than that I think
>>
>>40936502
frankly, no, you shouldn't go to failure in every exercise in every workout.
>>
>>40936502
You should probably do something like:

>Pick weight you can lift for x
>lift it for x-2. This is one set
>do this until the you can't do another set with good form.
>stop for the day and go eat
>>
How to know you're at the right weight:
>Set of 8, with effort but very doable
>another set of 8, harder, struggling to finish
>another set of 8, in which you fail on rep six or seven
Do that weight again next time you work that muscle group. Once you can do all three sets with relative ease, bump the weight up ten pounds and repeat
>>
>>40936552

That makes it hard because over the years I've come to work out like this:

Compound exercise 10 x 4

Isolated exercise 1 : 4 x 10

Isolated Exercise 2: 3 x 8

Once a week: Do a super drop set with 3 drops per set for 4 sets.

Once every month: Pure powerlifting

I got it from Arnold and it works well for me. The 10 x 4 I just did pyramids but the rest always bummed me.

So you can imagine with this volume how hard it's been, to go balls out on every single set.

But this is what we've always heard is it not? "Work through the pain!"
"Go until failure!"

And over time you develop a neurosis
"Am I working hard enough?"
we don't wanna waste time
and x-2 'feels' wrong
>>
>>40936620
>ask for advice on sets and reps
>receive advice
>'I've been doing these sets and reps instead, your advice feels wrong'

Why'd you ask then?
>>
>>40937797
I'm not rejecting it. I'm glad I got it. I will try it.
What I am sharing is the experience I've had so far.
It's called a conversation
>>
>>40936442
Go just short of failure. You don't wanna go frying your cns early. Took me too long to figure this out
>>
File: download (15).jpg (4KB, 302x167px) Image search: [Google]
download (15).jpg
4KB, 302x167px
>>40936442
>To the pain
>Repeat.
It's mostly about total muscle exertion everything else is pretty much broscience.
>>
>>40936442
I don't even count my reps and sets anymore. I'll just do one compound exercise with ascending pyramid and reverse pyramid.
When building up the pyramid I usually stop when my form is getting worse or when the reps simply become to hard.
When conducting the reverse pyramid (2-3 sets) go till failure
>>
im really curious about what everyone does now
>>
Decending reps: 3 sets of 12-10-8, increasing weight on each set.
>>
Youre supposed to dedicate 2-3 weeks lifting high volume high accesories and then 2-3 weeks lifting 1-4 reps heavy compounds and one week to only 1 rep maxes to recover. Thend start over.
>>
>>40936620
10 reps for 4 sets on compounds and 4 reps for 10 sets on isolated?

mate you've been doing it backwards
>>
>>40936442
listen man

the difference in training effect between

A. hitting 8 reps and having 1 good one on the tank, and one all out grinder after that, and
B. hitting 10 reps, including a brutal grinder last one

is not really that big

the difference in fatigue accumulated is pretty significant

so don't train to failure often, especially on big lifts - just do more sets
>>
How about you just follow a fucking routine? You've wasted years of your life instead of taking a couple of hours to research.
>>
>>40936620
>But this is what we've always heard is it not? "Work through the pain!"
"Go until failure!"
Don't believe everything you hear, dumb fuck. Not every tidbit of advice is applicable to you.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.