[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How much did you squat once you were just starting out? I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: barbell-back-squat_0.jpg (127KB, 1090x614px) Image search: [Google]
barbell-back-squat_0.jpg
127KB, 1090x614px
How much did you squat once you were just starting out?

I'm doing 5x3x65 lbs and I've been squatting for a couple of weeks.

Is this really weak? My friend claims to have done 5x5x125 lbs when he was a complete beginner.
>>
>>40912361
what matters is your progress, not your starting point

it doesnt fucking matter
>>
>>40912361
What do you weigh?
>>
>>40912391
I know it doesn't matter, but it's making me question my technique, because we were both similarly built when we started.
>>
I'm a complete beginner doing SL, up to 50kg squat after one month. Started with the bar, raised 2.5kg per workout day. It's getting harder, but I hope to reach 60kg before failing.

You're fine, honestly. I failed my last two sets benching 35kg.
>>
>>40912401
I weigh 165 lbs, he weighed maybe around 145, but he's slightly shorter than me.
>>
>>40912419
Not trying to be mean. That is really weak. Just keep at it though.
>>
When you say beginner, do you mean you have no athletic experience at all?

I played football most of high school and could easily do 5x5x185 when I really started lifting.

Regardless, like everyone else said, it doesn't fucking matter where you start, or where your friend is at. It matters that you keep going, keep improving, and only compare yourself to the old you.

It's a marathon, not a sprint. I started working out 3 years ago and went from being a DYEL skelly to 1/2/3/4 for reps. Didn't progress as fast as I could have but I'm happy with the results.

If you're concerned about form and technique spend about 20 minutes watching youtube videos or reading OWG / PLG threads on /fit/ before you go hit the gym.

Just don't fucking stop, only look forward.
>>
>>40912361
don't worry about whether it's weak or not. the idea is to develop strength, not to test yourself all the time. the weights are especially meaningless when you're a beginner still learning the movement.
>>
>>40912449
>When you say beginner, do you mean you have no athletic experience at all?
Yeah, pretty much. I'm 31 years old and I've been programming all of my life basically, afraid of going to the gym because I'd look like a newbie.

But I ended up reading some of the right books and started working on improving myself mentally, so finally I took the step a few weeks go. Now I love going to the gym, I found a pretty nice one where pretty much everyone looks like a newbie and no one seems judgmental. I'm looking forward to telling /fit/ about my sick progress soon!
>>
I started with 40 kilos. I did 4x10 for form first. 50kg was the first real weight I did sets of 5 with
>>
>>40912361
many of us that started out at a higher weight were previously athletes before we started lifting.

Me personally, I wrestled for 8 years without touching a gym with weights or anything, so when I started out I was able to do 10 reps with 165. but that is only because I spent years doing bodyweight exercises in wrestling to stay in shape.

tbqh I always wish I would have just started lifting back then so I could have been in a lot better shape now. Just focus on how fast you will progress though because there is no use comparing eachothers starting strengths
>>
File: young-pope-idgaf.gif (3MB, 493x301px) Image search: [Google]
young-pope-idgaf.gif
3MB, 493x301px
>>40912361
I have a history of manual labour, i started with 200lbs for 3 x 5 , in about a month i was squatting 120kg (i don't know in lb).

Everyone starts at different levels, don't worry what other people are doing, its really a solitary thing.

Don't mind what your friend is at, just focus on being consistent and incrementally improving, thats all anyone can do really.
>>
>>40912361
a lot of people underestimate just how much they can actually squat, especially when they are just starting out

t. guy whos squat pr shot up 200+ lbs in a year and a half after i got serious
>>
I was doing 185 for reps first time I ever squatted, but I'm also naturally a strong, large guy. And not a couch potato
>>
File: 1486701426545.png (134KB, 740x546px) Image search: [Google]
1486701426545.png
134KB, 740x546px
>>40912361
when I first started, I couldnt even do a bodyweight squat without getting an exertion headache and nearly falling over. kek
>>
>>40912361
It doesn't matter where you start so long as your form is right and you push yourself to add more each time you lift. Commit to it, you win.
>>
>>40912517

>this positive post

Leave this place whilst you still can

There is nothing here for you but creeping insecurities and judgement
>>
>>40913876
This

You'll come back to tell us your gains and few anons will legitimately be happy for you. The others will call you a cuck and try to bring you back down to their level. The level of spite on this board for people doing well borders on woman-tier
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.