[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to do an Iron Man. WHERE and HOW do I learn to bike and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: shutterstock_149432726.jpg (861KB, 1000x665px) Image search: [Google]
shutterstock_149432726.jpg
861KB, 1000x665px
I want to do an Iron Man. WHERE and HOW do I learn to bike and swim competitively? I think I'm physically fit enough, but I don't know how to ride a bike or swim fast. Of course, I have basic skills in both from childhood.

For background, I'm a 32-year-old New Yorker who works 70 hours a week. I just placed top 10% among male contenders in a high-altitude marathon hosted by the U.S. Army in the Southwest desert. About 80% of the course was over sand and loose dirt, it was 90 degrees, there was a starting elevation of 4,000 feet, and an elevation climb of 1,700 feet. I ran the whole thing, despite training at sea level, and absolutely kicked ass.

So, I want to do do an Iron Man, but how the fuck do I learn to ride a bike and swim? Are there courses for athletes or something?
>>
>how do I learn to ride a bike.
Seriously faggot?
>>
>>40833901
I have a feeling he's gunna get dropped on the bike everytime.
>>
>>40833901
>>40833940
OP here.

Thanks, guys. Despite having an unusual childhood, I know how to ride a bike and swim. However, I've done neither in 25 years.

I'm sure there's also a difference between riding around the block with your friends in the suburbs as a child, and competing on a serious track against other athletes.
>>
>>40833960
>I'm sure there's also a difference between riding around the block with your friends in the suburbs as a child, and competing on a serious track against other athletes.

There is. Just google some training instructors in your city, usually universities or something will have drop in lessons for beginners. Like you're saying, they do mention 'beginner' as beginner into the sport of swimming or cycling etc, not someone that doesn't know how to ride a bike.

If you've not been professionally trained in any aspect of Iron Man, don't expect to come that highly, though, you should be able to complete it within a reasonable time after a few months of training.

So uh, yeah, just tag along to your local University or College sport night and see what's up.
>>
>>40833960
So, how are you going play ketchup on the competition that's been biking for 25 years you haven't.
>>
File: 20170325_100022.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20170325_100022.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>40833960
The only thing you need to know about competition cycling is how to draft people without running into someone and managing your RPM so you don't burn yourself out.

It's literally just riding a bike but being aware of the people around you.
>>
File: 20170203_065706.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170203_065706.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
>>40834114
Muh dirt racer.

I don't even own a car, been on a bike all my life.
>>
>>40833889
>I just placed top 10% among male contenders in a high-altitude marathon hosted by the U.S. Army in the Southwest desert.
You were at Bataan?
>>
>>40834114
You aren't allowed to draft other racers in a triathalon. Read the rules, faghot.
>>
>>40834187
Okay, then ride a bike around until you peddle faster than them, it's fucking riding a bike you autistic bitch.
>>
>>40834239
Oh great wise one, please take a shot long as your brain can handle to fully explain your knowledge of any and all sports and spill your insight into the wondorous views of vigourous performance training. Please take all the time you need, if you can't then maybe your homework was too much of a mental challenge for you.
>>
>>40834316
You can't even ride a bike or swim.
I'm already more of a triathlete than you.
>>
its really hard to lrn2swim without an instructor

you see, you might be able to displace enough water
with your hands and legs in order to propel yourself

but to do so without an instructor its very, very hard because you need feedback for everything: your strokes, your kicks, your arms/legs coordination, etc etc etc

you might get by with a camera I guess, and enough tutorials/videos, but nothing can replace a good coach
>>
>>40834181
OP here.

Yes, indeed! It was one hell of a race. Had an absolute blast. When I say top 10%, I'm only including light-division male participants. It would obviously be unfair to include the heavies with packs.

Also, as a civilian, it was great running with the troops. Super impressive guys.
>>
>>40833901
>this
>>
>>40834393
Top 10% out of 4000. So like 400th place. Who cares about running. Anyone can do that shit.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.