[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello fit, I recently found a gym only a block away from my

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

Hello fit,

I recently found a gym only a block away from my new apartment that focuses on weightlifting. This is a place I'm very interested in going to since the prices aren't bad and they offer classes for beginning lifters, as well as other classes like strength conditioning. I'm already going to be the skinniest, weakest person in the room, but I'm also tall which makes me stand out. I'm also on 4chan so that makes me a social retard.

In an effort to keep their floor spaghetti-free, are there any places I can read up on proper gym etiquette? Not a commercial gym where no one really cares what you do as long as you don't drop weight, but real weightlifting gym etiquette.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

PS what are good shoes to lift in?
>>
>>40815049
http://www.exrx.net/ExInfo/Etiquette.html
>>
if it's actual weightlifting you'll just lift with bar and one pair of light bumpers anyway for a few months before you nail technique etc. so don't worry

weightlifters shouldn't be as insecure as wealthy piano tier bodybuilders anyway so it shouldn't be too much bullying there
>>
>>40815049
theres no fucking etiquette in weightlifting except that youre not allowed to touch the bar with your feet and kick it, it might be different where you live but i started weightlifting at 14 and my coaches were all russians and they got pissed if i walked over the barbell or kicked it
if youre going to compete your coach will probably explain whats ok and whats not. also good shoes are nike and adidas
>>
>>40815049
>always tip receptionist
>always take a bow after your set out of respect
>Keep quarters on you incase some equipment needs to be unlocked
>always warm up with a baggy sweater
>>
Good gym etiquette requires you to not OHP in the squat rack.
>>
>>40815049
Memorize this, OP.

If you break any of these commandments, you will be thrown out of the gym and maybe have your ass kicked. So take it to heart.

https://breakingmuscle.com/fitness/10-rules-of-the-lifting-platform-that-apply-to-everyone
>>
I recently joined a weightlifting club as well. Not a gym, but an actual athletes club that focuses on weightlifting. Several of the people there compete at national level. I'm norweigian though so not a high level or anything, but certainly more serious than your average crossfit gym.

Worst thing you can do is pretend you know shit. Even if you've been lifting for four years, you don't know jack shit about the lifts. If you've got a respectable high bar and front squat then that's fine, but don't pretend you know how to learn the competition lifts.

You're a beginner so it's tolerated and expected of you to ask a lot of stupid questions. Better to ask too many than too few. It shows a desire to learn.

I don't know man you can't really go wrong just be nice to people and listen to the people that have done this for a long time.
>>
>>40815166

This is kind of autistic, desu
>>
>>40815191
only thing that is true though is just the part that u need to clean up after youre done (pretty obvious)
and the one with touching the bar with your feet and stepping over the bar if u compete you will be disqualified if u step over the bar
>>
What was your first ever visit to the gym like /fit/?

I'm heading to mine for the first time starting next week and I've been trying to discourage all the 'worst case scenarios' that I'm imagining I could get into.
>>
I appreciate all the advice. Thanks a bunch fit!
>>
>>40815780
The first gym I srsly went to is a CrossFit box, one of the first in Russia in fact. The owner is a bearmode middle-aged HEMA fighter (one of the top-5 full-plate fighters in the world, actually), all the coaches are either bachelors in oly liftan from a sports uni nearby, competing fighters or both at the same time, so there was no bullshit I keep seeing in *crossfit.webm* here, just hard work.

Felt a bit autistic at first, but seeing a few familiar faces (I dabbed in entry-level HEMA fencing at the time) calmed me down. Then the WOD began and I had no time to worry. Warmup was what most of /bwg/ would consider a short workout in itself, then we did some practice lifts with pieces of PVC pipe while the coach was grilling everyone on form (it was OH squat, afair), and then on to the actual bars and pl8. Was beat af by the end of it, ofc placed near the bottom on the board, but it felt gud.

Went to that place for a year 4-5 times a week, but shitty job and gains goblin gf didn't let me have proper nutrition or rest to see any srs gainz in the mirror.
The good part was the basement, where the fencing, the full-plate fighting and MMA training was going on. Got into knife-fighting and luta livre submission grappling there, shit was cash, actually felt like I could defend myself for the first time in my life. Still train and spar with knives occasionally to keep my edge, hehe.
>>
>>40815138
Fuck you where else is there to OHP?
>>
op it's no problem. I too was worried.
Except all the people here do not give a fuck. It's a powerlifting and strongman gym and some huge ass guys workout here. I'm still dyel as fuck and they've given me actual good pointer on form.
>>
>>40815780
>>40816115

The gym I go to nowadays is nothing special, just a bottom-of-office-tower kinda deal that split from a big chain of cheap-ass commercial gyms. There's a dozen threadmills in a separate room, a mirror room for group exercises (that's where all the bichez' at), a fighting room with mats on the floor and walls and 3 bags hanging (some beat-ass Thai coach is teaching Muay-Thai there, but my schedule is incompatible so can't say if any gud), a tanning machine room, a small room with a dozen speedbikes for guided cycling classes (never saw anyone go there, lol) and the weight room with half the space taken by the ellipticals and cable machines of various uselessness. There's a good collection of dumbbells from 2,5 to 45 kilos, one squat rack, a smith machine, two normal benches, an incline and a decline one, some weird bench-pressing machine that can be configured for wicked good shrugs and the usual leg pressing rail trolley.

First time I went, I had no program and no idea what I was doing so I did a random bw circuit (pull-ups, bw squats, hanging leg lifts, push-ups and hyperextensions for about 3xF). Nobody seemed to give a f so I just went in, jerked my body around, went out. On the second week of this it dawned on me that I should read the fucking sticky, and it was all gainz from there.

ty for enjoying my pointless blog post
>>
File: 1487915321559.jpg (60KB, 569x567px) Image search: [Google]
1487915321559.jpg
60KB, 569x567px
>>40815166
>Touching the bar with your foot is a sign of disrespect for the sport of weightlifting and thus a big “no-no” on the weightlifting platform
>>
As long as the shoes I'm lifting in are flat-bottomed, i should be good right?
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.