[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How bad is this for someone who knows nothing about rowing?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_4702.jpg (943KB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4702.jpg
943KB, 4032x3024px
How bad is this for someone who knows nothing about rowing?

>randomly decided to row 150cal
>>
>>40790112
Try to do the same pace at a low strokes per minute. Like reduce the 31 spm to 25 or lower but maintain the other numbers.
>>
>>40790112
Calories aren't used as a measurement. Your split is. You pulled pretty much bang on a 2:00(/500m)split.
Go watch form videos because a) you can wreck your back over time if you snap the motion rather than control it smoothly b) you'll be slow as shit (you'd probably hold the same split at rate 20 with proper form, rather than 30 which is what you pulled)
>>
>>40790112
Cal/hr is like measuring a car's speed in gallons/minute. Rowers use the time/500m.

Since you're new, technique is most important over fitness or bragging. Learn how to row properly from a rowing coach (don't waste your time with anyone affiliated with crossfit).

t. Rower
>>
>31 spm
professional-tier speed if you did it right, otherwise retard speed
>>
>>40790710
What's wrong with crossfit? Anyone around here would be a crossfit coach, there is 0 rowing support here
>>
>>40790788
I have yet to meet a crossfitter that knows how to row properly without injuring themselves.

Unfortunately, rowing is a relatively small an isolated sport. I bet any university near by would help you though. Kids would love to make 15/hr teaching you properly.
>>
>>40790943
>going to school to learn to row
legs, back, arms, arms, back, legs in that order. extend legs (fully) first, lean back about 30 degrees, and pull your arms to your chest. do the exact opposite on the way back.
>>
I did 10,000m in 53 minutes is that a good?
With 2:16/ 500m
>>
>>40790710
Concept2 have plenty of vids. I don't think crossfit really have a hat in the ring at all, I have never accidentally come across something from them ever.

As for cal/hr after you get a bit of erg experience you can convert it in your head easy (~200W or ~1:55/500m). While cal/hr is probably the most useless read out all have their uses, as a rower you will sometimes use watts and sometimes use split and so on depending on what you're doing and thinking about. The readout also stays in the machines memory anyway so OP can go back and look at it in different units anyway.

>>40790750
Lol at the bullshitter.

>>40790788
Lurkmoar for crossfit hate. Although you're right about it not being a crossfit thing, guy is likely thinking about crosstraining.
>>
>>40790988
Yeah that's alright. 10k in 45m is decent then it's all about gradually shaving the minutes off.

Iirc 10k in 45 should allow you to do a sun 7min 2k.
>>
>>40790971
Ask a kid on a university team, moron.
>>
>>40791116
>thinking every small town has a uni
>>
>>40791116
There's no point. A lot of uni rowers are as crap as anyone, it varies on your physiology, training, preference etc your exact technique for rowing anyway.
>>
>>40791047
>Iirc 10k in 45 should allow you to do a sun 7min 2k.
No way my dude. The Only sub 7 guys on my team row probably 8 or 9k in 30 minutes. I can row 7k in 30 and my 2k is like 7:40 ish
>>
>>40790710
I'm a coach at a crossfit gym but I actually teach the rowing-specific class. Didn't start off as a CF coach, was a collegiate rower and the opportunity presented itself. AMA
>>
>>40791187
8k in 30 is definitely right for sub 7. It might be a 10k in 40 is the benchmark but it's been a while since I was that bothered about it. There's some equation that gets used to work out what times you can do based mostly on aerobic capacity so if you're particularly bad or good in anaerobic it goes out of whack.
>>
>>40791250
What magic powers did the devil grant you for your soul?
>>
>>40791290
A decent 2k but nothing to write home about. I'm not sub-6.
>>
>>40791356
Sub 6 on the erg is just bragging points, anything below 6:15 or so is just very very good. The difference between getting to 6:30 and getting below 6 for me were mostly getting technique down, didn't feel I'd improved in physical strength or capacity that much.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.