[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>doing concept 2 cardio rows >at 6 >sweating, arms

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 9

File: concept2.jpg (113KB, 1400x934px) Image search: [Google]
concept2.jpg
113KB, 1400x934px
>doing concept 2 cardio rows
>at 6
>sweating, arms and legs burning
>granny sits on one next to me
>sets it at 10
>rows like its fucking nothing
Every time I look nearly 95% of the time faggots will set their Erg to 10 and having a laugh while rowing.
I have never had my autism triggered so much. Do you fucking go on a treadmill and set incline and speed to max, do you go highest gear on bike or put as many plates on barbell as possible? Fuck no. So why the hell do people set Erg on max, row without issues and it doesn't cross their mind that they might be doing something wrong. Fuck all the fucking normies who use equipment without doing one bit of research
>>
File: 1487079974612.jpg (23KB, 444x460px) Image search: [Google]
1487079974612.jpg
23KB, 444x460px
>>40735774
hey you faggot. i just bought a rowing machine. tell me what your routine is.
>>
>>40735799
i row
>>
File: GoslingThumb.jpg (142KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
GoslingThumb.jpg
142KB, 450x450px
>>40735806
>>
>>40735799
I do Greyskull's LP and 25-30 min cardio on same day after lifting. I'm a beginner so I don't know what I'm doing myself routine wise.

But the point of rowing machine is to pull aggressively and go back relaxed. Imagine IRL rowing you want to row with as much effort as possible to set boar in motion and when you go back you don't do much. If you pull slowly might as well not row at all.
>>
File: 1488554066176.png (386KB, 706x369px) Image search: [Google]
1488554066176.png
386KB, 706x369px
>>40735826
are you op? are you getting angry at someone for not knowing technique when you've just admitted you have no idea what you're doing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ82RYIFLN8
>>
>>40735870
Guy asked for my routine. And yes I don't know if its effective, if doing cardio after lifting is good idea or not, that's what I meant.
Technique wise I'm not doing a single exercise without watching tons of guide videos on how to preform them correctly.
>>
People always overthink the drag factor. Just set it to 7 and forget about it. It's really not a huge issue. The only dudes I know who set it to ten are 6'12" monsters going for a 2k PR or something.

Most people don't even know how to read the screen, much less do they know what a decent pace is. I had one dude ask me if 4:30 was good for 1000m and I told him no, high school girls row faster than that. He thought I was just being a dick but it's the honest truth. Dudes think if they just pull as hard as they can they're getting a workout and they're just wrong.

I've tried to teach some of my friends how to do it, it's a process. It's funny how every gym has ergs and yet so few people know how to use them properly.
>>
>>40735826
Why not pull it as hard as you can at 10
>>
>>40735948
Anon, I'd love to start rowing, give us a basic rundown of what you're talking about and how to do it.
>>
>>40735981
Point of cardio is to do the exercise for longer periods of time. If you think you can row with good effort and form at 10 for 30-20 min go ahead.
>>
>>40735774
4-5 is a good setting for most people and most workouts. Gives a good balance between cardio and strength. Once you dial in your technique you can use higher to work your strength. You have to stroke hard and less. Try to keep spm below 30. I do 500s at 7 and 2ks at 5, id like to push those 500s up to 10 eventually.
>>
>sit down
>set resistance to 10
>pull on it as hard as you can with your upper body
>just slide your hips back and forth without pressing off on the foot stretcher with any force whatsoever
>do this as rapidly as you can for 2 minutes
>stop

literally 90% of the people that "row"
>>
>>40736194
What i usually see is
>Set it to 10
>Pull very leisurely
>No torso movement
>No leg drive
>Knees start to bend again long before pull is finished
>Handle going up and down to get around bent knees
>Never sweat or breathe hard
>Continue for 10-20 minutes
>>
What's the best distance/program to do alongside lifting? I've done straight 5k's on my off-days but I haven't really dug through the pre-programmed stuff on the concept2 rowers that my gym have. HIIT could be good but I don't have a heartrate meter so I've stuck to basic shit.
>>
>>40735774
Their form is ass it's no wonder they're not feeling shit
A) arms minimal legs no back
B) arms and legs no back
C) just fucking arms

Those people will be worse off in the long run

T. Rower who still uses erg as primary cardio (20-30 minutes every other day at 2:05 or below per 500)
>>
>>40735774
OP, you are meant to set the drag factor via the screen since older ergs will have more resistance than newer ones, despite having the same setting on the fan. It's in additional options. About 120 is an appropriate setting for most people.

As for the 'work' you are doing on the erg, it's determined by 1. The length of your stroke, 2. The power of each stroke (or speed its completed in) and 3. The rate, i.e. how many strokes you do per min, as we measure. So don't give a fuck about a granny who's stroke is 6cms long, fuck her.

The stroke is actually a very precise movement to do efficiently, and its difficult to know if you doing it perfectly without coaching or at least a mirror. As an ex rower, I always go to that section of the gym and cringe. This https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ82RYIFLN8 set of videos is an excellent starting point.
>>
>>40735948
>if 4:30 was good for 1000m
holy shit that's barely even pulling with any force.

I used to row in high school but got tendonitis in my wrists. I try the ergs every now and again but I can usually only make it 500 at like 1:40 before my wrists feel like they are going to explode
>>
>set it to 6/7
>row for 3min fast and hard trying to maintain proper form
>dying
Wew being fat is hard. How do people do this shit for 10minutes or more.
>>
>>40736646
SRS question: I got my erg stroke looked at by an old ivy league coach for a few minutes. He basically said "You're not gonna hurt yourself with that. Broad strokes are fine, but teaching you real form won't make sense to you until you're out in a boat." Thoughts? I have a C2 on slides at home and haven't had pain or anything, but still wonder about how to improve.
>>
>>40736325
>>40735799
>>40735911
Beginner's Pete Plan if you don't know what routine to do or are unsure if your routine works. It's based on the Wolverine plan which is stupid complicated, but worth a look if you want to do something specific/modify the Pete plan.
>>
>>40736765
honestly he's right.
but since you probably will never get in a boat, just drive your legs and then pull your arms once the drive is complete. on the way back don't bend your legs until your arms are over your knees.
Obviously there's more to it than that, but that will make you a better rower than 99% of the people who row in gyms.
>>
>>40736731
With pacing, and not being a fat fuck.
Is your other cardio just as bad?
>>
File: 1375415683219.png (355KB, 570x670px) Image search: [Google]
1375415683219.png
355KB, 570x670px
>>40736855
>other cardio
what did he mean by this

But no not really. I do conditioning more than strict endurance. Sled push, pull, farmers walks, sandbag carries, tire flips, etc. I get tired but I can typically keep going.
>>
>>40735774
This is definitley me, I do it for 5 minutes just to warm up cause I figure it'd warm up my elbow and shoulder joint more than a treadmill. You're a weak nerd, get over it.
>>
File: rowurboat.jpg (510KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
rowurboat.jpg
510KB, 2048x1152px
>>40735774

I wonder if I'd have triggered you?

>haven't rowed since 2013, get bored w/LISS incline
>used to sub rowing for running PT in Navy
>sit down
>set 10, grab handle
>justrow.jpg
>almost maintaining 2/500 at reasonable exertion

I'm sure my form needs some work, but I was rowing at between like 2-2:10 for the majority of my workout, and dipped to between 1:40-1:55 for the last couple 1000s after I decided to push a bit. Must've looked pretty comfy at 2-2:10 because it sure felt comfy

Was proud of my 5k in 20
>>
>>40736866
>other cardio
>what did he mean by this

Okay, "how is your performance while attempting other forms of cardiovascular exercise?"
Is that better, you fat fucking autist?

seriously though, if you can run or cycle 5 minutes at a similar intensity and not feel like you're dying, then it's an issue with your rowing, not rowing itself, it may use the whole body but its not that much harder on you.
>>
>>40736825
Fair. There's a club in town and I'd like to get in the water but it's a bit pricy. Used to sprint kayak back in the day and sculled around some, but haven't done it seriously. Maybe one day. Thanks, Anon.
>>
>>40736765

I guess he means when you are on the boat, the balance/speed is very sensitive to what your doing. For example, have you seen the rowing at the Olympics, specifically a side shot of the crew? They are all in perfect sync, opening at the hips at precisely the same time, leaning back at the same angle at the finish, coming back up the slide at the same time etc.They do this to keep the 'momentum'. You need to be working with the forces exerted on you as the other crew members push in order be efficient. So being on a boat overall feels quite a bit different to a solo erg (and its a one of the best feelings when you're all working together).

With slides, you know you can double them up and attach two or more ergs together to simulate what it's like on a boat? With solo on slides, if you don't hit the sides, I guess you're form is correct. I believe the main issues revealed with that is the timing of legs-hips-arms, if I remember correct.

Anyway, to improve, check the video series in the earlier post. It just about covers the main points. However, it's now all about making sure you are doing what you think you are doing (which is difficult to self-regulate, hence the need of a coach) and also making sure you do this whilst exhausted as your focus slips.

If you are interested in taking it to the next level, you should get in contact with your local boathouse.
>>
>>40737055
Definitely with you on this. Actually went and watched some Olympic rowing events. Guys are nuts. Thing of beauty.

Not hitting slides at all. Though I'm not going crazy on it, usually just 18-22 spm at like a 2:30 split for LISS work.

Local boathouse does beginner classes in the summer. Probably nothing until then, but definitely interested. Though team sports scary reeee etc.

If I'm just doing it for cardio, worth doing a real program? Or just hop on there for a half hour a few times a week and go slow? I have interest, but know I'll never be competitive, and I don't want to fuck with my lifting sessions too much.
>>
>>40736765
The concept 2 actually does take into account slightly if you do the correct wrist movement to rotate the oars. The water feel is there too but stuff like balance and water speed and so on are different I grant you.

>>40736916
2min/500m is a little dude with middle age spread who rows a little. It's not great. To maintain it over a 5k is I dunno maybe not terrible. Over a 10k or 20k would be much more impressive and I'm sure you're capable of that. Glad you enjoy it.
>>
>>40736916
instead of a 5k, you could try a 20min test instead. basically row for 20min at your 2k pace. was our nightmare in high school rowing.
>>
Former rower here. I swim for cardio now. Rowing burns too many calories and muscle compared to swimming. You could end up looking very lean while rowing but also flat as a stick. Swimming is better in my opinion, however I still warm up for 5 minutes on the erg before weights.
>>
>>40737180
I'd try and implement some variety by interval work or something. It can be quite fun compared to an LISS (or UT2, as we called it) slog. You could copy these from any decent program or do the program itself, it's up to you. Examples would be spm pyramids, intervals, varying intensity, set distances or times etc.

You say you are 'Just doing it for cardio'; the thing is, erging can be a lot like lifting weights in the sense that seeing progress can be very rewarding if you track it. If you want to get better, you could test your 1k, 2k, 5k and 10k every now and again. These are the gold standard, as are Bench Press, Squats etc are in lifting. In my mind, there isn't much difference in the way I approach oly lifting from rowing since I switched.

All depends on your priorities though.
>>
>>40737539
Do you like the c2 site workouts of the day for that change up? I've got rowpro, which comes up with programs that I'm not sure about, and did do Pete's plan for a bit. Not sure what the erg version of 5/3/1 would be, but if there's kind of a gold standard program that's not totally miserable to do, I'd go for it.
>>
>>40737604
I only trained under a coach, so cant comment too much. That being said, I've heard good things from Pete's plan.

I guess with any program, whether 5/3/1 stonglifts, etc, sticking with it and consistency is more important than the exact program itself.
>>
File: 1430594390906.jpg (59KB, 627x627px) Image search: [Google]
1430594390906.jpg
59KB, 627x627px
I started using the concept2 machine a month ago at my gym, doing 2km to split my treadmill running in half since 50 minutes of straight jogging gets very boring. On the c2 I can do 2km in 8:10, but the foot straps on that one are frayed so I tried another model of rower and I'm getting like 10:00 for my 2km and it feels hard as fuck despite me turning the resistance knob all the way down. Is there commonly some sort of hidden digitized resistance setting that I can't find?
>>
>>40737749
>>40736646
>>
File: 1488896931019.jpg (18KB, 328x448px) Image search: [Google]
1488896931019.jpg
18KB, 328x448px
>>40737666
Thanks again. Think I'll do the Pete's beginner plan and just hope for the best. On a cut and ready to get back into it.
>>
>>40737193
>>40737380

Thanks for the advice re: structuring workout and where I should be.

I'll endeavor to maintain 2 min/500m for 10k as my next landmark. I'm rowing 2x a week with 4x lifting and 2x incline LISS. Its a cut but my limiting factor in rows is my cardio endurance moreso than muscle fatigue
>>
Is there anything wrong with using very high resistance and doing 30-60s sprints, HIIT style?
>>
>>40738421
Nothing wrong with it. But not necessary. You can still pull hard with low resistance. Think of the resistance as changing the shape of the boat. Lower is more like a skinny racing shell, higher is more like a rowboat out at some park. 10 is more like trying to pull that park rowboat through pudding.

Point being, even at low resistance you can pull hard and go fast, the flywheel just won't decelerate as quickly. Your heart rate will still be high. Keeping it lighter may also save your back some unnecessary stress and lower your chance for injury.
>>
C2-rower-wearing-fedora.jpg
>>
File: smegal.jpg (69KB, 1024x785px) Image search: [Google]
smegal.jpg
69KB, 1024x785px
>>40736731
same way people run more than 1/2 mile, pacing and practice.

Next time you get on the rower just slow down and concentrate on form. try to make 15 minutes, next time 20, eventually 30. Once you can do 30 minutes start throwing some sprints in with your 30 minutes.
>>
>>40735948
Collegiate rower here, nobody sets it above 5-6 for a 2k.
>>
>>40737193
I row for an IRA school and I can't really say that the C2 accounts for wrist movement. Possibly you just mean finishing the stroke?
>>
>>40735799
im on olympic rowing development squad for ireland theres alot of routines but it depends on your dedication to it you mix long distance with intense intervals, setup your drag factor to 135 ish usually around 6 and 3 quarters and experiment with 3 x 2k's and 40min x2 and 3 x 6k's but remember it has more form than a squat or deadlift or anything and can take months to master
>>
>>40742085
If you feather you get a very small increase in stroke length. The chain also seems to go in more smoothly on the recovery, I don't know if that's me wanting to see that, me doing something significantly different in technique or if it's actually a machine thing.

I think it's fair to say it's also a good way to get people to develop that nice relatively relaxed hook over the oar handles rather than trying to squeeze the things to death at least.
>>
>>40742131
135? Is that standard for heavyweight men's? Seems high, but I know nothing.
>>
>>40742858
im in for heavyweight mens ireland and on training and going for pr my drag is 135 its almost universal for olympic rowing sometimes crossfit retards change it but its definitely the place to start
>>
>>40743493
Would you recommend that for casuals training with an eye to being non-competitive rowers?
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.