[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ive been doing 3x5 bench press, but im not getting much progress.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: 1489342872319.jpg (84KB, 700x714px) Image search: [Google]
1489342872319.jpg
84KB, 700x714px
Ive been doing 3x5 bench press, but im not getting much progress.

guy at my gym said that upper body needs more volume to grow than lowerbody - is he right?

what rep range should i change to?
>>
>>40727291
trust sweet gym man, hes looking out for you
>>
>>40727328
For real, though, OP, more volume will likely significantly help. Try doing an extra day's benching and see if it makes you any stronger. Volume is the key to growth.
>>
File: repin005a_opt_tif.jpg (243KB, 717x797px) Image search: [Google]
repin005a_opt_tif.jpg
243KB, 717x797px
>>40727291
5xf
>>
>>40727291

nothing

3x5 is fine u just dont know how to workout
>>
>>40727291
yes, see any good bench press program

greg nuckols 3x beginner bench would be a good thing to switch to now
>>
>>40727291
>but im not getting much progress.
Are you doing other chest exercises as well?
And are you stopping on the 5th rep even if you can still do more?
>>
>>40727291
Are you eating at a caloric surpluss?
What does your program look like?
>>
you have to invoke the power of Thor just before each set. works for me i'm almost at 2pl8. Also scream a little bit, it makes you stronger.
>>
>>40727291
Lower body actually needs way more volume, but you get that just going about your day/cardio/sports so the gym is mainly just for strength and explosiveness

Upper body meanwhile gets pretty much 0 exercise besides brushing your teeth, unless you're in manual labor or moving into a new apartment. So you gotta get that in the weightroom.
>>
>>40727384
Only pressups.
And i do stop on the 5th rep if its one of my first 2 sets bevause i want to save my strength for future sets

>>40727394
Yes. I'm gaining about 0.5kg a week, its a slow bulk

Basic beginner/intermediate powerlifting routine: 3x5 of Squat+Bench, 1x5 of deadlift, then OHP pressups chinups and leg press for assistance work.
>>
File: bench.png (13KB, 517x252px) Image search: [Google]
bench.png
13KB, 517x252px
you need volume
>>
>>40727291

I'm doing 5x8 and getting results -slowly but surely going up while cutting.
>>
>>40727435
>And i do stop on the 5th rep if its one of my first 2 sets bevause i want to save my strength for future sets

Which is fine. On your third set, if you can even do 6 then you need to up your weight next session.
>>
>>40727435
Then its most likely technique.
Technique is the thing that will keep your lifts stalling as a beginner. Mark Bell, Mark Rippetoe, Dave Tate and some guys at Juggernaut trainingsystems got good videoes and articles about it.
Reading the Starting Strength book would be the best option.
>>
>>40727559
it's most likely his shitty program with 3 or 6 sets of bench a week that's causing his stall
>>
>>40727291
Do your Fives (5x5)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm8BU429MuI
>>
>>40727291
Bench more to bench more. I bench 3x a week and I'm making more strength gains than I was when following SS. Benching once a week is a meme if you really want to progress
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.