[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How many of you guys actualy ran SS and what was your progress

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 10

File: rip.jpg (136KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
rip.jpg
136KB, 1920x1080px
How many of you guys actualy ran SS and what was your progress on it? And by SS I do mean the actual program as it was laid out, not a modified version with accessories, different rep ranges, different progression etc. Everybody seems to talk about SS but hardly anyone seems to do the actual program.
>>
>>40639885
SS is just a foundation, you are not meant to follow it to a t
>>
>>40639885
Why create such a boring thread, is it because you have no-one irl to talk to?
>>
>>40639922
This actually
>>
>>40639885
i did it (at an ss gym) but snapped my back

either ohp form wasnt right or they added weight too fast
>>
Unless you're training to get heavier and more effective at strength sports, SS in its skeleton form is not the program for you. It doesn't give you a balanced body in terms of strength or mass and aesthetics weren't a factor in it's creation. For these reasons, not many people are interested in it.

Basically what you can expect from SS as laid out by rippetoe is what Zach evetts got. If you're not interested in looking good and want to be strong and heavy in the lower body for whatever reason, be it powerlifting aspirations or sport improvement, SS is your program. If your goals are outside of these bounds, accessories or using a different program becomes optimal.

By the way, there is nothing wrong with well programmed accessories and rippetoes case for excluding them is pretty poor
>>
My work sets ended up as:

Squat 360 3 x 5
Bench 215 3 x 5
Press 140 3 x 5
DL 385 1 x 5

My Deadlift form sucked so I had a hard time keeping it ahead of the Squat. It's a great program/book. Ignore the memes and read the book thoroughly while running it. You'll be a decent lifter by the time you finish your LP. I do recommend increasing bench and OHP volume once you finish SS, I had a lot of easy gains once I did that. There's some good 4 day splits in practical programming.
>>
>>40639918
>you are not meant to follow it to a t
It is according to the people who wrote it
>>40639922
None of my friends are particularly serious lifters, no.

I didn't run SS by the way(at least not in its pure form), I just want to see other peoples' experience with it.
>>
>>40639946
Your upper body lifts would have been higher if you had programmed them differently or supplemented them with accessories. There is no way 3x5 presses are going to yield gains at an equal efficiency as 3x5 squats.

Basically, rippetoe sucks at programming for the upper body. However anyone wanting a high squat and deadlift should read everything he's written. Not bashing him - SS style progression of squats and deadlifts can easily be coupled with a better upper body progression.
>>
File: 1488775543738.png (132KB, 515x554px) Image search: [Google]
1488775543738.png
132KB, 515x554px
>>40639885
ran SS as written years ago

Squat 75x3x5 ->275x3x5
Bench 65x3x5 ->155x3x5
Dead 135x5 -> 500x1 (not a typo, naturally gifted deadlifter)
OHP 45x3x5 -> 125x3x5

squat progress was good, deadlift progress would have happened on any program, upper body progress was shit (wow big surprise)
>>
>>40639978
what would be better for bench and press? more sets of five? or three higher rep sets?
>>
>>40639978

I disagree with you. His programming does precisely what it's meant to do; squeezing out linear progress during the novice phase. I didn't micro load the presses so I may have been able to get more from it. I did not include chin ups like Rip recommendeds, so that would have also driven my presses if I had done them. A completely untrained individual wouldn't benefit from more volume right off the bat. The idea is to do as little as necessary while disrupting homeostasis. Once you can no longer do this on a workout to workout basis, you aren't a novice and shouldnt run SS any more. Starting strength isn't meant to be anything more than an extremely efficient introduction to Barbell training, and it fulfills that purpose nicely. You can't fault the program when it doesn't meet your goals, despite your goals not fitting into the scope of the program in the first place.
>>
>>40640053
no, the upper body programming is just legitimately fucking terrible

there's a reason the t-rex mode meme exists, and also a reason every other thread on the SS forums is "my bench stalled please help"

press and bench requires more volume to get the same effect, and SS gives you 3 or 6 working sets of each depending on the week

also chin ups would do nothing to drive you presses, that's a completely retarded thing to say
>>
>>40639978
>>40639939
>>40639885
>SS doesn't include accessories.

If you're going to waste the time to bitch about SS, you should probably read the fucking book
>>
>>40640066
>a stronger back won't increase your pressing ability
>>
>>40639885
Is it OK to add backoff set of 8 reps for upper body lifts?
>>
>>40639946
>>40640001
How long did you run the program tho?
>>
>>40639885
>How many of you guys actualy ran SS and what was your progress on it? And by SS I do mean the actual program as it was laid out, not a modified version with accessories, different rep ranges, different progression etc. Everybody seems to talk about SS but hardly anyone seems to do the actual program.
I know nothing about SS; the post

SS encourages accesory lifts and makes suggestions to which to use for which purposes, as long as the compounds Stay as they are
>>
File: not-this-shit-again_o_1224286.jpg (75KB, 850x490px) Image search: [Google]
not-this-shit-again_o_1224286.jpg
75KB, 850x490px
>>40640066
Why do you think the book suggests to add accessories you daft cunt
>>
>>40640073
i'm glad we agree

if someone has no chest, delts, or triceps because they're a limp wristed numale novice, they need volume for those muscle groups

sure a stronger back helps your presses but it doesn't address the problem of insufficient volume on those exercise

>>40640114
adding chins and dips and LTEs is not sufficient, more work is needed on the bench and press specifically

>>40640085
i ran it for ~9 months at which point i had stalled out completely (probably did more than the recommended number of resets too), bodyweight went from 170ish to 220ish

I then got memed into doing TM, which got my squat and dead up a bit more but my bench still went no where (again big surprise)

when I moved to higher volume programming for the upper body, my bench and OHP shot up very quickly
>>
>>40639918
YNDTP

If you want to run the program, buy the book, read it and follow it to a "t". Don't bastardize programs, not even shitty ones. If you want to make changes you shouldn't be doing the program to begin with because you probably aren't buying into it.
>>
>>40640066
>also chin ups would do nothing to drive you presses
retarded
>>
>>40640189
yes, you are, but it's ok you can still learn something about lifting
>>
>>40640189
It has a very small carryover unless we are talking geared benching in which case you are benching with your back and triceps. For raw bench - bench variations, flies, triceps work and dumbell bench presses are what helps.
>>
>>40640143
>when I moved to higher volume programming for the upper body, my bench and OHP shot up very quickly

What program did you move to?
>>
>>40639885
7 months. starting bw was 70.5 kg and around 78 kg at the end. sets/reps are all 3x5

>squat 60 -> 140
>ohp 40 -> 67.5
>bench 60 -> 100
>deadlift 60 -> 170 (1x5)
>chinups bw -> 32.5
>dips bw -> 45
>>
>>40640215
did 5/3/1 + joker sets + fsl and then a shitload of accessory work (periodization bible)

so I would be hitting like 4 heavy sets of bench, and then 5 lighter higher rep sets of bench, and then cranking out loads of DB presses, and then tricep stuff, upper back, biceps

similar setup on OHP day also with loads of accessory volume and higher rep burnout sets

(if you do 5/3/1 don't do the old version with one working set a week, that one sucks)
>>
315x5 squat
375x5 dead
240x5 bench
140x5 ohp

Doing do cleans or w.e the fuk that gay shit is

Pendlay row 175x5

Overall gud program wuld recommend
>>
>>40640238
What do you mean by old 5/3/1? Is it the one where you do 4 days of bench, ohp, squat and deadlift?
>>
In about 4months
Body weight 70kg - 100kg

First workout:
60kg squat 3x5
30kg press 3x5
60kg deadlift 1x5
40kg bench 3x5
40kg powerclean 5x3

Last workout:
140kg squat 3x5
150kg deadlift 1x5
92.5kg bench 3x5
62.5kg press 3x5
72.5kg powerclean

Was okay, I think I did alright
>>
>>40640296
the one without joker sets of FSL

it basically only has one working set of each exercise a week and relies much more on accessories to get the volume in

the beyond 5/3/1 version has you doing autoregulated heavy sets after your main AMRAP (if you feel up to it), and then lighter sets with your first working set weight (FSL, first set last)
>>
>>40639946
What was your diet like? Did you have excessive calories like the book describes (I haven't read the book, but I've seen posts saying this is the case, could be wrong) or did you just have a more 'normal' surplus?
>>
I did SL which is just a rip off where they replace cleans with rows.

It's good for building a strength base but about three months in you'd want to change program
>>
>>40639885
I ran it properly. By the 12th week or so I was getting comments how big my ass was getting, so I stopped.
>>
>>40640305
Im interested in doing 5/3/1. When do you think should i change my program?

Currently on SL, bench:70kg, ohp:50kg, squat:75kg, DL:110kg.

Do i really need to up my lift to 1/2/3/4 and currently linear progression line is pretty blurry for me because my gym suck ass (they dont have 1.25kg plate) and progression 5kg for bench and ohp is really hard as of my current lift.
>>
File: 1485469077703.gif (2MB, 321x218px) Image search: [Google]
1485469077703.gif
2MB, 321x218px
>doing SS
>thinking you need a "strenght base" in order to get aesthetic
>thinking that lifting a lot of iron is gonna impress anyone except other scrawny gym rats who bought into the memes
>squating 3 times a week
>>
>>40639885
You realize theres fucking acessories in SS, right bud?
>>
>>40640344
Retarded
>>
>>40640383
20lbs bro curls is all u need breh
>>
File: 43457.jpg (53KB, 318x238px) Image search: [Google]
43457.jpg
53KB, 318x238px
>>40640431
>20lbs bro curls is all u need breh
>>
>>40640379
look into 28 free programs by nuckols
>>
>>40640383
No bro 3x12 cable flys once a week give those real aesthetics bro
>>
>>40640066

Ok I think you just don't understand the fundamentals of how strength progression actually works. Your upper body is going to stall sooner during linear progression, that's just how it is. It's possible to be an intermediate on Bench but a novice on Squats. I think you should read practical programming before talking about things you don't grasp, impressionable teenagers don't need to get clouded with your misinformation.

> chin ups 3 times a week won't drive your presses

You just exposed yourself m80
>>
Did SS for 8 months minus cleans (it just fucking scares me). now taking a break for 2 weeks before trying smolov jr bench program

I forgot what were my initial stats

all in kg
bench 95 3x5
high bar squat 110 3x5
DL 150 1x5, is probably slightly higher
OHP 60 3x5

I did a lot of upper body work since my uni gym has no fucking squat rack (hence the choice to go smolov bench). dont really have the money to spend on membership at a better gym.
>>
>>40640620
you literally have no idea what you're talking about

you live the dunning kruger effect
>>
>>40640620
>Your upper body is going to stall sooner during linear progression

wot? just because you cant add as much weight doesnt mean it "stalls". upper body takes much longer to plateau when microloaded
>>
>>40640620
you don't understand the fundamentals, actually

bench press and overhead press respond to higher training volumes

why is this?

one of the major things a novice lacks is upper body muscle mass, assuming they do not have a background in sports

higher volumes are superior for building muscle, and they also give you more opportunities to practice the exercise and ingrain movement patterns, win/win

http://www.strongerbyscience.com/making-your-novice-strength-training-routine-more-effective-two-quick-tips/

and no, chins 3x a week will not drive your presses to any significant extent, that's absolutely asinine

I think you should spend a few years under the bar and deadlift at least 500lbs before talking about things you don't grasp and have no practical experience with, impressionable teenagers don't need to get clouded with your misinformation
>>
>>40640171
>Don't bastardize programs, not even shitty ones.
>not even shitty ones.
Definitely bastardize shitty ones.

SS is made so that even people who look like Tarzan but lift like Jane can get strong, it shouldn't stress your body out too much and will get results if you do the program. Volume doesn't get you strong.
>>
>>40640700

I've pressed 240 and benched 385 but I don't know what I'm talking about apparently.
>>
>>40640902
yeah, you have no idea what you're talking about you fucking retard
>>
>>40640902
>I've pressed 240
If you got that far with no chins you're very lucky to not have any shoulder trouble. Especially doing high volume.
>>
>>40640969

Btw buddy I recommended increasing volume as an intermediate, like I did myself. This thread was specifically about SS and novice programming. I agree with you about more volume, just not for completely untrained people. I'll go back to being a retard repping 3+ plates on the bench.
>>
>>40641016

I do chins twice a week. Read the Press chapter, specifically the section about shoulder impingement not being possible during a press.
>>
It's human nature to ticker with things. Most people aren't going to run any program one hundred percent as is. Doing the occasional curl or skullcrusher doesn't mean you weren't doing starting strength.

Anyway, I started on SS back in the day. I started my bench and squat both at 185x5x3 and ended with my bench at 220x5x3 and my squat at 285x5x3. I started my deadlift at 225x5 and ended it at 405x5. I weighed around ~215 and had an athletic background but hadn't lifted weights seriously before.
>>
>>40640001
that (lack of) upper body progress is why SS is a shit program.
>>
>>40641041
Shoulder impingement is not what I'm talking about buddy. High volume can lead to fatigue in some of the smaller muscles in the girdle though, and that can lead to dislocation. Common in throwing sports partly for this reason.

Also it's possible to have your shoulder impinged in the press (although for all intents and purposes you're in a disease state if the case and should see a doctor). Don't assume you're healthy, if you're doing it right but it feels wrong see someone (as general advice to everyone).
>>
>>40641042
*tinker
>>
File: 20170310_014323.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170310_014323.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>40640066
>>
File: ss3.jpg (29KB, 260x340px) Image search: [Google]
ss3.jpg
29KB, 260x340px
>>40639946
I agree. SS is awesome.
If anyone has not the book yet, you can download it here.
slimdownload.co/598543
>>
Okay, but what is the best aesthetic routine to follow after done with SS?
>>
>>40641059
People simply run it for too long. The entire point of the program is to maximize n00b gainz. The legs and back will blow up faster for just about everyone. Upperbody takes a lot more time and volume.

It's the spergs that run it for like a fucking year wondering why they haven't gotten anywhere since the first 3 months that give it an awful name.

That and Rip being a weirdo. lol The program is what it is. A ton of practice on the big compound lifts with a fast progression scheme useful for 4 months or so.
>>
>>40641359
PPL
>>
>>40641359
PPL or PHUL.
>>
>>40641418
>Upperbody takes a lot more time and volume.
Yes, the upper body takes more volume, but let's do a program that has less upper body volume than lower body! Great idea!

Doesn't matter if you're only doing SS for six months or six seconds; you could have been doing more upper body volume that whole time. There is NO reason why there is not more upper body volume.
>>
>>40641450
Relax there good buddy.

It's a matter of intensity and energy system fatigue. The more volume you keep adding to a routine like that, the less the rapid progression will work.

You're making it sound like there are no upperbody gains to be made. If your bench doesn't go up 40-50 pounds and your press 20-30, i'ts because yo'ure a pussy not because you didn't have enough volume.

Past that, almost everyone goes ahead and adds some dips, pullups, curls, and skullcrushers. Taking a generic n00bie routine one hundred percent word for word and then bitching that it's nt perfect is silly.
>>
File: received_10154192038026035.jpg (54KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
received_10154192038026035.jpg
54KB, 540x960px
Guys.

I just read the Press and ancillery excercies chapters of SS, AND anything i could find on SL and absolutely NOWHERE does it tell you WHEN to add chinups/pullups/dips, but only that you can if you want and how to do it if you do. They don't even tell you the effect that adding those lifts will have at any certain point in your routine/progress.

This is nuts, there's no rhyme nor reason to it.

SL even went so far as to give me a figure for when you should switch from 5x5 to 3x5 (something like 1x bodyweight on bench or whatever) and it STILL didnt mention accessory exercises, especially when to add them.

All it says is 'do them if you want, but if your main lifts start stalling, stop doing them'.

Then we consider the technique that powerlifters use to break through a strength plateau, deloading while adding volume until calculated workload is broekn through plateau, switching back to strength training, repeat and rinse ad nausem.

It's like once you've exhausted the linear gains from SS or SL, you have to go even heavier or add volume. But surely there's an inbetween, right? A sane, logical place to simply add accessory exercises so that they help your main lifts to continue the linear progress just a bit longer, right?

This doesn't make any sense.

This is fucking nuts, what the fuck.
>>
>>40640171
You retarded senpai?
It is easy to see that there are different purposes to different programs. If you are seeing results are being made in one area and not others, keep what works and throw away what doesn't. You don'thave to throw the baby out with the bathwater and start from scratch with a new program.

You can't take cookie cutter programs and run them perfectly with each person. People are too different, everyone should (when they figure out what they're doing) tailor their own program.

The arrogance to be a dick about this, when you are so obviously and blatantly wrong astounds me.
>>
>>40640171
You retarded senpai?
It is easy to see that there are different purposes to different programs. If you are seeing results are being made in one area and not others, keep what works and throw away what doesn't. You don'thave to throw the baby out with the bathwater and start from scratch with a new program.

You can't take cookie cutter programs and run them perfectly with each person. People are too different, everyone should (when they figure out what they're doing) tailor their own program.

The arrogance to be a dick about this, when you are so obviously and blatantly wrong astounds me.
>>
>>40641892
>You can't take cookie cutter programs and run them perfectly with each person.
When you advance, sure, but even then it's not like programs are totally different. It's not like one advanced person lifts and another progresses by eating moonbeams.

SS is a cookie cutter program, you can do that for beginners too. Assuming you are not beyond gifted genetically and can fuck around and gain more weight than on SS, or that you are disabled or ill in such a way as to prevent lifting, SS is for you as a beginner to the barbell. Beginners need to develop the beginning of good muscle fibre activation i.e get strong. Volume won't do shit until you're properly able to contract the muscle.
>>
>>40641624

I'm not sure if it says exactly when and what assistance to add aside from chins and back extensions. I think I recall reading about a good coach knowing when to add things, but those doing the program alone would just be guessing really. Using the official forums would probably be your best bet, just don't ask Rip 'cause he'll tell you to eat moar.
>>
File: 1488969219575.jpg (26KB, 299x455px) Image search: [Google]
1488969219575.jpg
26KB, 299x455px
>>40641270
>>
>>40642116
You add it when you feel up to it or comfortable. The bare bones program is tailored to work for even the genetically unpredisposed, it's just meant to get you lifting the heaviest weights you can in a handful of compound movements as quickly as possible.
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.