[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

http://www.strengtheory.com/the-new -approach-to-training-vo

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: bent-over-t-bar-row.gif (52KB, 237x212px) Image search: [Google]
bent-over-t-bar-row.gif
52KB, 237x212px
http://www.strengtheory.com/the-new-approach-to-training-volume/

So, since what matters for hypertrophy is number of working sets, rather than reps or volume per se, how many working sets do you do each workout?

I'd love to hear from people that do full body, PPL, upper lower, splits, whatever. I'm restructuring my routine away from 5x5 and wondering whether to base it on working sets and how many.
>>
>>40628286
total volume is what matters, but doing higher rep sets is still more efficient for hypertrophy

http://www.strongerbyscience.com/powerlifters-should-train-more-like-bodybuilders/

you can get the same hypertrophy from a relatively easy 3x10 as you can from a debilitating 7x3

right now i'm actually doing greg's programming for bench (int high 3x a week from 28 free programs) and it's a decent amount of volume, monday was 7 sets of bench and 3 sets of close grip bench for example
>>
>>40628286
I use myoreps
>>
>>40628286
>>40628309
I have the opposite experience. Switched from standard TM to doing 10 sets of 3 reps on volume day with >60s rest. gains have skyrocketed
>>
>>40628335
10x3 with less rest = higher training density = better for hypertrophy
>>
>>40628309
Article in OP claims the opposite. It says when you survey the studies and control for total volume, the groups that performed working sets achieved greater hypertrophy than the groups performing fewer working sets. Volume didn't correlate; effort did.
>>
>>40628393
Isn't what you're looking for anyway for gains ? Time under tension and bigger loads ?

t. dyel
>>
>>40628419
Just read the article.
>>
>>40628393
except the article I posted is by the same guy, Greg Nuckols
>>
>>40628393
also, those two articles are not actually contradictory

volume is the biggest determinant of hypertrophy

you can survive more volume at lower % of your 1rm, which correspond to higher rep ranges
>>
>>40628529
Fine, but then what is an optimal number of working sets per day? I'm doing 25 sets per workout at present and my understanding is that's at the upper limit for a natty lifter. Are people seeing hypertrophy gains at fewer sets per day? I'm curious whether I should be "working less" or not.
>>
>>40628309
Same hypertrophy but 7x3 will give you MUCH greater strength gains to go with it.
>>
>>40628566
and if you read the article, that is explained by the fact that 7x3 is much more specific to a 1rm effort

if the 3x10 group had done a short peaking cycle with heavier weight afterwards, the discrepancy would be tiny if not disappear entirely

doing high reps in the off season into heavy reps before a meet is nothing new in powerlifting, look up phase potentiation

>>40628558
https://hoffday.wordpress.com/2016/05/12/mike-israetels-rp-bodybuilding-posts-credit-to-the-fb-rp-group/

start at the low end for each muscle group and work your way up over time, control+f "MRV" (maximum recoverable volume)
>>
>>40628321
How is that working out for you?
>>
>>40628566
And much more fatigue and joint wear-and-tare. If you read the study, you'd know that the guys doing 7x3 suffered injuries and their training could only be those heavy tripples while the 3x10 group could do even more volume for less fatigue.

As >>40628582 said there is a time and place for everything. You can't grind indefinetelly. With that said, you can get hypertrophy by doing any rep range you just have to do the work required.
>>
I would say doing 3x10 is better for practicing form than 7x3.

I think it is grerat when you can do proper form even when out of breath.
>>
File: medium week 3.png (40KB, 529x840px) Image search: [Google]
medium week 3.png
40KB, 529x840px
yes
>>
>>40628582
>medial delt
My autism says I can't trust this guy.
>>
File: Mikey.png (560KB, 481x609px) Image search: [Google]
Mikey.png
560KB, 481x609px
>>40629502
This is Mike Israetel. I think he knows a thing or two about getting bigger and stronger.

Also the blogpost confirms what I have been having a hunch about - the OHP is useless for bodybuilding purposes provided you are doing high-volume benching and all kinds of other horizontal pushing movements and dips. If you want good shoulders - snatch high pull for the overload and upright row for the volume, finished with side and front lateral raises.
>>
File: 1445021321118.jpg (95KB, 500x373px) Image search: [Google]
1445021321118.jpg
95KB, 500x373px
>>40628286
don't overthink it dude.
according to people like alan aragon, lyle mcdonald, eric helms etc. best rep/ set range for nattys is 3-6 sets with 4-8 reps. what number you choose is up to you and also depends on the muscle/ muscle group. Deadlift should be done heavy low rep for example, calves need higher reps etc.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.