[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>le you must progressive overload to make gains shitpost meme

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 12

File: CJdSyUV.jpg (65KB, 530x600px) Image search: [Google]
CJdSyUV.jpg
65KB, 530x600px
>le you must progressive overload to make gains shitpost meme

if you're pushing whatever weight you're lifting to near failure inside of the endurance rep ranges, you're making 'optimal' gains. no progressive overload is needed or even desieable for anything other than competitive lifter faggotry or your autistic desire to lift a higher number.

there's also some evidence to suggest more volume is better for muscle growth than the bigger number meme

ego lifting is literally retarded. prove me wrong, you can't

> muh strength

great i'm sure your min wage employer will be impressed when you carry a piano alll by yourself and they don't have to pay anyone else, slave.

being stronger isn't better, it's just harder on your joints and lifting heavier weights increases the chance of catastrophic failure should something go wrong.

truth be told irl you rarely lift anything over 100 lbs at work in fact most employers will not be happy if you try to because you become a workers comp expense when your dumpass injures themself.
>>
>when your dumpass injures themself

stopped reading there
>>
>>40618421
Kek.
>>
>>40618405
>>40618405
>proggresively overloading is stupkd
>you just need to proggresively overload

Gr8 b8 made me reply, now kys
>>
>>40618421
thats literally the last sentence you retard drumpfkin ofcourse you stopped reading there
>>
File: 1484683155192.png (274KB, 596x687px) Image search: [Google]
1484683155192.png
274KB, 596x687px
>>40618464
Progressively overload implies adding weight incrementally to make gains. If you fail to do so you're still making 100% optimal gains as pushing yourself to near fail is proven gains method. Stalling = optimal gains.

Progressive overload is a meme and nothing more.
>>
>>40618421
Lmao
>>
gains is litterally stregth tho. if your stregth isnt increasing you are not making gains period.
>>
>>40618421
Lol
>>
File: 1481863544472.png (581KB, 762x464px) Image search: [Google]
1481863544472.png
581KB, 762x464px
>>40618598
gains is pushing to near failure. this is better achieved outside the optimal strength rep ranges as more volume = more gains in the hypertrophy ranges whilst simultaneously never lifting an amount that will certainly cause serious injury when you fail badly

in short, med-high rep low weight > high weight low rep for maximizing gains and long term well being. strength training is for retards and autists
>>
>>40618663
wrong again. Gains is strength. Strength is gains.
>>
>>40618687
enjoy your hip replacement at 40
>>
>>40618405
wrong

mechanical tension is a key element of muscle growth

if you get strong enough that your 100lb working weight is too low of a percentage of your max for a good training effect, you will not make any noticeable gains

educate yourself little man
>>
>>40618884
absolute nonsense. almost all available research indicates 'hypertrophy' rep range is ideal for muscle mass

and if you're pushing yourself near fail each set within hypertrophy range it doesn't matter how much weighr you're pushing your muscles will grow as a response of being pushed near fail

strength training is meme
progressive overload is meme
>>
>>40618934
post the available research, and then post your body
>>
just dumping some stuff

>http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16095427
>http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16503695
>http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19237506
>>
>>40618948
google hypertrophy
then google shredded man on roids
your welcome
>>
File: 1487045790178.jpg (22KB, 218x265px) Image search: [Google]
1487045790178.jpg
22KB, 218x265px
>>40618421
kek
>>
File: 1485356626947.png (764KB, 959x721px) Image search: [Google]
1485356626947.png
764KB, 959x721px
>>40618971
roll
>>
File: image-21.png (5KB, 600x371px) Image search: [Google]
image-21.png
5KB, 600x371px
Why would you lift heavy when it fucks up your joints and increases chances of catastrohpic failure when something goes wrong with literally ZERO appreciable benefit on muscle gains?

Strength training is meme confirmed. Shills need you to strength train so they can teach you technique that's useless unless you're training with dangerous weight.
>>
yeah breh keep pumping that 1pl8 bench I'm sure you'll grow to be FUCKING HUUUUUUUUGE
>>
>>40618971
Mods
>>
>>40619118
If it's within 6-15 rep range and that pushes you near fail, yes, it will
>>
>>40619134
yeah and when you hit over 15 reps, you put more weight. When you get over 15 reps again, you again put more weight. That's called progressive overload
>>
>>40618971
mmmmmmm
>>
>>40619134
and when failure occurs at 30 reps, do you think that will have the same hypertrophy effect as if failure occured at 10-12?

if not, looks like you'll need to progressively overload :^)
>>
>>40618971
rool
>>
>>40619146
>>40619150
Yeah when you're a noob maybe but if you lift for like a year you'll reach a plateau and keep making gains lifting the same weight to near fail. Progressive overload is just a buzzword for noob gains and autismo lifters.
>>
>>40619200
yeah if you do 15x3 with 1pl8 your muscle grows as much as it would if you did 15x3 with 2pl8, good thinking
>>
>>40618934

And as a result of your muscle cells increasing in size (hypertrophy), you get stronger because you can put out more force, you retard. If you stay at the same weight, you won't see any improvement.

Just fucking do 5/3/1 plus accessories.
>>
>>40619244
the only pertinent bit is you push yourself near fail.

stalling is a meme
progressive overload is a meme

bench lmao2plate your whole life as long as it's 6-15 reps to near fail = optimal gains. everything else is autism.
>>
>>40618405
Did a /b/tard get lost and accidently shitpost here instead?
>>
>>40619275
do people besides tranny posting fags even go to /b/ anymore?
>>
>>40619262
no most people reach a plateau (meme) at this point you suggest progressive overload (another meme) when reality is you can keep lifting the same weight forever and make optimal gains.
>>
>>40619272
and you base this on what? You're that dyel fuck who always posts on CBTs and thinks he's hot shit aren't you?
>>
>>40618405
My friend is just like you, he hit 2.5 pl8 bench with 5+ years of lifting. He refuses to increment his lifts anything with anything less than 10 lbs. Good luck bro, it will take a long time to make it.
>>
>>40619306
scientific facts. pushing near fail is a proven method for optimal muscle gains. everything past this is mental gymnastics.
>>
File: 1481700745696.gif (2MB, 245x245px) Image search: [Google]
1481700745696.gif
2MB, 245x245px
>>40618421
I know I'm cheap but this made me chuckle
>>
>>40619330
show us your scientific facts you retard
>>
File: 1487703464435.jpg (49KB, 640x631px) Image search: [Google]
1487703464435.jpg
49KB, 640x631px
>>40618971
>>
>>40618971
anything but 2 and 6
>>
>>40619337
8-12 reps is optimal for muscle gains. that's not 8-12 reps + progressive overload. that's 8-12 reps. if you can't do more than 12, there's no proof anywhere that progressive overload suddenly becomes better for anything but lifting a bigger master autist number. that's why you constantly see dyels setting world records.
>>
>>40618971
Rollan
>>
>>40619299
All of the bigger guys at my uni gym lift heavy weights and do a combination of strength and hypertrophy training. They do primarily strength training though.
When I first started lifting and not increasing weights, I made noob gains and then plateaued.
Then I actually started to progressive overload and made strength and size gains.
Now I'm at lmao2pl8 (90 lb) weighted dips and pull ups for 8 reps at 170 lb bodyweight.
You're an idiot if you think you can just not increase the weights in the long run and still make size/strength gains.
>>
>>40618971
>didn't
*can't
>>
File: gif.gif (541KB, 220x165px) Image search: [Google]
gif.gif
541KB, 220x165px
>>40618421
>>
>>40619386
to paraphrase: i did <meme> to reach the size of a normal human and now i continue to <meme> due to incurable autism.

you can see pic, 8-12 is ideal for muscle gains. not 8-12 + meme routine. just push yourself near fail.
>>
>>40618971
roll for 1, 7 and 8
>>
File: 1457988264356.jpg (33KB, 450x338px) Image search: [Google]
1457988264356.jpg
33KB, 450x338px
>>40619470
>>
>>40619367
I know I'm being trolled but what are you supposed to do once you become stronger and lifting 12 reps is no longer difficult? Other than add weight, of course, seeing as how it's a meme apparently.
>>
>>40619501
Once you reach a proper weight, you simply won't. This is what autimos refer to as stalling but truth is this plateau you reach remains ideal for muscle mass as long as the last rep of each set is near fail. It's flat out false to claim you must progressive overload. Muscles get bigger and stronger when they're being used.
>>
>>40618405
1/2
>>le you must progressive overload to make gains shitpost meme
It's great for a beginner to learn how to progress in a way that is not hard to understand. The keyword is beginner.

>if you're pushing whatever weight you're lifting to near failure inside of the endurance rep ranges, you're making 'optimal' gains. no progressive overload is needed or even desieable for anything other than competitive lifter faggotry or your autistic desire to lift a higher number.
This is objectively true and everyone who suggest something else is wrong. Total amount of volume and the achieved muscle fatigue are the main driving factors of hypertrophy.

>there's also some evidence to suggest more volume is better for muscle growth than the bigger number meme
Nope, the opposite. There are studies suggesting that higher intensity might net you the same results with slightly less total volume but the differences are literally not statistically significant.

>ego lifting is literally retarded. prove me wrong, you can't
Depends on what you mean with "ego lifting" if your goal is to be the strongest possible for yourself, it's quite necessary to lift heavy most of the time and doing triples, doubles and singles regularly but if your only goal is hypertrophy it's literally useless. If by egolifting you mean lifting with bad for just to move bigger weights, yeah, that's pretty retarded.
>>
>>40618405
2/2
>> muh strength
Oh no, people have other goals than I.

>great i'm sure your min wage employer will be impressed when you carry a piano alll by yourself and they don't have to pay anyone else, slave.
This is literally irrelevant to almost everyone. There are far more people working in offices.

>being stronger isn't better, it's just harder on your joints and lifting heavier weights increases the chance of catastrophic failure should something go wrong.
Can't argue with that. It's all true, but it's retarded to let this stop you if you enjoy lifting heavy weights and it's your goal to move big weights. In all actuality, almost every sport is more dangerous with injuries occurring way more often and people still do them for the sake of their enjoyment. Who are you to argue what people should or shouldn't do for their enjoyment?

>truth be told irl you rarely lift anything over 100 lbs at work in fact most employers will not be happy if you try to because you become a workers comp expense when your dumpass injures themself.
True, but why should what you're doing in the gym revolve around your job? Who's the mindless wagecuck here if all you do is think about your job?
>>
>>40619702
the comparison to other sports being more dangerous is bunk. it's highly unlikely you possess the skill and genetics to safely perform heavy lifts. study comparisons are almost never done under a comparable control. they're including everyone in a gym who are just sitting their in front of a mirror curling a db who will never get injured doing this or they're comparing lifters with far greater skill and genetics than your average retard who picks up a barbell.

all else being said your 'type' was already covered. some autismo who wants a bigger number. i see more dudes who can lift double my max who are smaller than me than vice versa. the rest are roided out of their minds. bottom line strength training is a meme, hypertrophy isn't. /thread
>>
>>40619767
>the comparison to other sports being more dangerous is bunk.
Why?

>it's highly unlikely you possess the skill and genetics to safely perform heavy lifts. study comparisons are almost never done under a comparable control. they're including everyone in a gym who are just sitting their in front of a mirror curling a db who will never get injured doing this or they're comparing lifters with far greater skill and genetics than your average retard who picks up a barbell.
And this somehow does not apply to amateur athletes in other sports? The argument still holds. Being physically active is inevitably connected with a risk of injuries. Lifting weights is one of the activities with the lowest injury risk and lifting with a submax weight won't eliminate the risk or consequences it will simply lower them.

>all else being said your 'type' was already covered. some autismo who wants a bigger number.
Again who are you to judge what is a valuable personal goal to pursuit and what isn't? What are your personal goals in your life?

>i see more dudes who can lift double my max who are smaller than me than vice versa. the rest are roided out of their minds. bottom line strength training is a meme, hypertrophy isn't.
How is any of this relevant? The only person you're supposed to compare yourself to is yourself.
>>
>>40619864
>And this somehow does not apply to amateur athletes in other sports?
no there is no point of comparison. the average gym goer isn't an amateur athlete for one nor are they doing a heavy barbell based strength training routine. for another, the skill required to pickup a heavy weight automatically precludes all but the most skilled and genetically gifted whereas any injury prone retard can run around with a ball and brake an ankle in other words the skill of other sports does less to precluse those genetically predisposed to injury. i'd also hypothesize that heavy lifting tends to "weed out" weak links better as the injuries are more traumatic. for example a ball player may roll an ankle and keep playing and injure themselves 100 more times but an amatwur heavy lifter snaps their shit up once that's once more than enough to never want to lift again only the truly dedicated will return.

all the studies you deduced this from are cherry piicked garbages. i mean just go on any heavy lifting forum every other post someone snapped their shit
>>
k
>>
>>40618971
Rollin
>>
>>40620004
I've been lifting for 1.5 years now and have never "snapped" my shit up. The most serious injuries I had were, a pulled hip flexor from when I first started because I had been sitting on my ass for 20 years, an impinged shoulder from benching, before I started doing face pulls and shoulder dislocates and a pulled left trap from doing lateral raises with shitty form. With exception to the hipflexor thing, everything healed in a matter of a week and didn't really prevent me from lifting. Do I have elite genetics when it comes to injury management or do I just lift with not shit form while still lifting heavy?
>>
>>40620104
you're a noob and a previous lazy ass. the benefits you're seeing would be realized by taking a long walk each day you retarded sack of shit
>>
>>40620305
>the benefits you're seeing would be realized by taking a long walk each day
Hahahhahahah, fuck outta here faggot.
>>
>>40618864

>doing strength training on deadlifts and squats

lmaooo you should be strong on pull ups, rows and dips if you want to be aesthetic
>>
>>40618971
Rolling.
>>
>>40620322
>it's easier to maintain correct form lifting a heavier object than a lighter object
How often do you see an arm snap pressing one plate overhead vs snatching up several?

hypertrophy safe and effective
strength training autistic and retarded
>>
>>40620443
Very nice you mention oly lifting. It's something most people do for fun, because you won't be able to be competitive unless you're genetically gifted, have been working out since your early teens and roiding. Do you consider it a waste of time and "autismo"?

You really like to avoid the subject of what your goals are in your life or do you actually not have any? Is your goal to get big? Why? What effect will it have on your life? How is it going to improve it? Are you simply doing it for your enjoyment? How isn't that autistic?
>>
>>40619200
>>40620305
>>40620443
nice b8 m8
>>
>>40620506
My goal is to be healthy and put on muscle mass as safely and optimally as possible which is the same goal all males have outside of mega autists.

There's nothing to avoid. You're a complete retard. There's fuck all else to discuss. Why do you think so many people around here worshipped zyzz because of his deadlift 1rm? lol gtfo
>>
>>40618971
I win no matter what
>>
>>40620533
Okay so your goal is to get bigger? Now answer the other questions. Why do you want to get bigger? What do you get from it? Why is it worth spending your time on it?
>>
>>40620652
>I just told the retard looking better and being healthier is what all humans want and hypertrophy training is superior method of achieving results
>retard autismo just keeps posting same thing like broken record
>>
>>40620715
There are very many people, actually the majority who see your time spent in the gym as a waste of time that could've been used differently here. Sorry brah, but you're in the minority here. You have to justify why you want to get bigger. You can't just say it's the norm because it's not.
>>
>>40620853
>humans will accept less than what they desire therefor they don't actually desire it
>>
>>40619364
>but 6
>the only one not standing on her toes posing like a vapid cunt
>>
>>406189718
Rollei
>>
>>40620943
So we're getting philosophical now. There are actually people who favor their other aspect of their life more than being physically fit, even if it is something they would like to achieve. For example some might prefer furthering their career more than their physical fitness and believe it or not, working on becoming an entrepreneur and managing a small business or working your way up in a company will take a lot of time and will leave you with no energy to put into the gym. Others spend all their life connecting with people and getting as many fulfilling relationships as possible. Having given evenings when you can't hang out or a strict diet plan and prerequisites for what constitutes a person is who's doing the right thing with their time (exercising to improve themselves) is very restrictive and will leave you with very few opportunities to actually be open minded. Again others might focus on their families and give 110 percent to pay attention to their children and raise them unlike most people do and improve the next generation. These people see your pursuits as autismo, or maybe not, because they might actually understand that everyone follows different goals in their life.
>>
>>40621061
sour grapes and your 'type' was already covered in op aka mega autist/retard obsessed with bigger number for no purpose other than bigger number. hypertrophy is the hot wife, great life and all in one.
>>
>>40621236
I see. I hope you'll get a little more mature and understand people for their individual differences.
>>
>>40620853
Not that anon, but I find that to make any actual progress with your fitness you have to have a reason anyway. It's very difficult to make progress on something difficult unless you have significant motivation, and unfortunately most people aren't capable of motivating themselves without outside influence (IE family, a significant goal, a tramatic event, etc.)

At least this is the case for me and everybody I know. Even then it seems to me that even if they have significant reasons to do something even then they are incapable of the motivation to change themselves. For example both my mother and father are incredibly obese and know they will die sooner rather than later at this rate but simple do nothing.

My little brother has been getting fatter and playing more video games as the years go by. This is why I lift, it's impossible to make any real progress unless you NEED it to happen, this is true for anything that requires effort and work.

But this is just my own perception of the world, and even knowing this I am not very good at self motivation
>>
File: JFkHJFx.png (5KB, 205x246px) Image search: [Google]
JFkHJFx.png
5KB, 205x246px
>>40621307
Look man the real problem is this board has people who really belong on /sp/ or /asp/ rather than here. Why do we have plg and owg on a board dedicated to fitness? Those are sports, not fitness. A strength training routine is not an optimal fitness routine and I'm sick of you powerlifting autists trying to shoehorn in every data point to make it appear as tho it is. Your sport places a dangerous emphasis on moving bigger numbers and then you try and skew all data points to make it appear comically better than it is which is why you have these twigs squattings 500 lbs and these people snapping their shit up. a person not interested in strength sports is not going to benefit more from eating like a cow and forcing linear progress than they are eating healthy and getting in lots of volume. they're gonna look better, feel better, less likely to get injured and more resilient to injury.
Thread posts: 79
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.