[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Settle an argument. Which statament is correct, "I am

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Settle an argument.

Which statament is correct,

"I am well under my calorie deficit today"

My friend believes that statement is grammatically incorrect and it should be
"I am well under my maintenence"

Who is correct, or are both?

I am talming about my specific caloore deficig of 500 calories.

(Pic unrelated they are his calves)
>>
You're both fucking retards and neither is correct.
>>
Thanks for your help man
>>
>>40580219
Calorie deficit means being below maintenance. How can you be below below maintenance?
>>
Fair point, but im sayingi im taking in less calories then what my usual intake is (which is a calorie deficit). Is my wording just trash? Or passable
>>
>>40580219
Grammatically both statements are fine. They both basically follow a "noun phrase, verb phrase, noun phrase" structure, which an adverbs an prepositions in the verb phrase.

"caloric deficit" might be preferable to "calorie deficit", but I'm not sure on that, so I'll ignore it.

What can be discussed it whether they make sense semantically (make sense in meaning). Your friend's "maintenance" obviously refers to the amount of calorie you should eat at per day to maintain your body weight. Strictly speaking it doesn't make sense for a person to be positionally under an amount. But it is well understood that the "I am" here refers to how much you've eaten so we can interpret this sentence as "the calories I have eaten so far today are well lower than the calories it would require for my body to maintain weight". I would say this sentence makes sense semantically.

Your sentence on the other hand is a bit trickier. It is not sure to what "calorie deficit" refers. If it refers to 500 calories (which you eat below your TDEE) that your sentence would say "the calories I have eaten so far today are well lower than 500". This sentence makes sense semantically, but is probably not what you wanted to say. Instead we can assume that you are referring here to you TDEE-500. So your sentence means "the calories I have eaten so far today are well lower than the calories it would require for my body to lose weight" (since eating below TDEE-500).

In summary, both sentences are ok gramatically and semantically, but differ in meaning.
>>
Thanks alot that was actually perfect and solved our argument
>>
>>40580366
>>40580296
>>40580238
>>40580219
>doesn't know how to reply
reported for being newfag
>>
>>40580316
>"the calories I have eaten so far today are well lower than the calories it would require for my body to lose weight" (since eating below TDEE-500)
But eating a 1 calorie below maintenance will cause weight loss.
What he means semantically is 'I have eaten fewer calories than my goal of a 500 cal deficit below maintenance'
>>
are you boys 14 y/o autistic virgins?
>>
>>40580228
* neither are correct
>>
>>40580219
A deficit is a lack of something. It is basically meaningless to say 'I'm under my deficit'. Not only that but it's ambiguous as well. Do you mean you increased your deficit? That you're below a specific deficit? Or do you mean the opposite, that you're *under* your deficit because you didn't achieve the deficit you hoped for, and consumed more calories than what the deficit calls for?

The next one is better, but still not perfect. In order to fully convey the meaning you want to get across you should say 'I'm under my BMR' or 'I'm under my TDEE'. Obviously maintenance is a substitute for these, which is why it's the better way of expressing what you wanted to express.
>>
>>40580219
who the fuck cares just lift faggot
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.