[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I like Johnnie Cannelonni and all, but jumping barbell squat

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: Barbell jump squat.jpg (217KB, 1092x641px) Image search: [Google]
Barbell jump squat.jpg
217KB, 1092x641px
I like Johnnie Cannelonni and all, but jumping barbell squats seem unnecessarily dangerous to me. Am I wrong?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKywH2Wurb8
>>
File: IMG_2103.jpg (48KB, 535x550px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2103.jpg
48KB, 535x550px
>>40498639
>>
>>40498658
I really, really, really like this image.
>>
>>40498639
Like any excercise they are only harmful when you perform them wrong. Personally jump squats are a favorite of mine.
>>
>>40498668
I'd think it would be a lot of impact on your joints (depending on how heavy weight you use). Not interested in doing them, but curious about them.
>>
>>40498665
Me 2
>>
>>40498639
Jumping squats might not be the best thing, depending on how you land. If you have good control of your descent, can slow yourself quickly, have no issues with your knees, ankles, hips or lower back, then fine.

If not, there's a big risk to your spine, which will take the weight of the bar on landing and descent. Worst case scenario you might end up with a herniated IVD or a vertebral crush fracture, the risks of which increase both as weight on the bar and height increase. So long as you use light weights, use appropriate footwear, and progress conservatively, you should be alright.
>>
>>40498724
Thanks Anon. Useful info. There's a guy at my gym who does them frequently with 135lb, and I couldn't figure out if it was a meme exercise or legit.
>>
>>40498804
It's a bit of an in-between. You're probably better off doing cleans
>>
>>40498811
As I mentioned here >>40498681
I have no intention of even trying them, just had no idea what I was witnessing and wanted to learn more.
>>
>>40498804
Jumping exercises tend to engage more plyometric systems than regular old squats. Given that, you should perform them with lighter weight, with an eye to keeping a good tempo, good range of movement, and avoid things like fully extending your legs, crashing onto your heels, and folding your torso forward. As an example, I'm six foot-ish, 84kg, and I'd never do more than 30kg extra on my shoulders for jumps.
>>
You're landing with at least a hundred pounds directly on the spine. At least with power cleans the weight is distributed among other sources and isn't starting and ending on your spine.

People hurt themselves enough doing squats normally. No need for this shit.
>>
>>40498828
Do you think they'd be useful for improving explosive power in the squat? I'm not an athlete so I'm not crazy concerned about vertical jump.
>>
>>40498639
>workout video contains a wigger rapping
>>
>>40498847
They'd be better at improving your vertical jump than your squat. Think about the relative velocities of the movements - even a brisk squat is a snail's crawl compared to a jumping movement. Jumping movements will engage fast-twitch rather than the slow-twitch and postural muscles which are preferentially recruited in squats. If you want to improve your hip drive, consider doing accessory exercises that work similar range of movements to what you're going to be doing in squats. Just from here, I've heard that below-knee rackpulls and good mornings can translate well towards improving squats.
>>
>>40498639
CROSSFIT BRO LIKE LOL DUDE MY INSTA FOLLWERS WILL KNOW IM A /FIT/NESS GURU! FUCK FORM AND FUCK MY BACK! DONT FORGET TO LIKE MY INSTA!
>>
>>40498639
>fat fuck
>chicken legs

Yeah, seems like he knows all about fitness.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.