[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Skull crushers cause me elbow pain, what are some other exercises

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: elbow.jpg (3MB, 3211x2408px) Image search: [Google]
elbow.jpg
3MB, 3211x2408px
Skull crushers cause me elbow pain, what are some other exercises you guys like to do to hit tris?

I'm looking for something to do at the end of my press day after I'm gassed. At my level I can't really do a lot of dips at the end of my workout so those are out too
>>
The cable tricep extension thingies that look like a humping motion.
>>
>>40442219
Overhead tricep extensions
>>
Close grip bench
>>
File: tate-press.jpg (74KB, 1256x800px) Image search: [Google]
tate-press.jpg
74KB, 1256x800px
Tate press is a personal favorite
>>
reverse grip bench
>>
Stop doing skull crushers right away. I used to have the same elbow pain you are describing and eventually ended up tearing my tendon in my left arm.

Please don't make same mistake I have. Do close grip bench press or machine triceps extensions as your form of triceps exercise. I wish I could have given this advice to the younger me.
>>
File: 1486415794080.jpg (106KB, 590x789px) Image search: [Google]
1486415794080.jpg
106KB, 590x789px
>>40442371
> being this much of a gains goblin

Go heavier bro, if you arent moving at least 135 on skullcrushers you arent even trying!
>>
>>40442219
>>40442371
>>40442348
when I do skullcrushers or overhead tricep stuff I get real bad ulnar nerve subluxation, and it just seems to put a lot of stress on my elbows in general and feels like shit

I find rippetoe style lying tricep extensions (go past head) or tricep pushdowns with a cable don't hurt me so i just do those, but honestly even the LTEs are pushing it lately, might just go all pushdowns soon for direct tricep work
>>
>>40442219
Close grip bench
Dips
tricep cable-pulldowns/extensions whatever
>>
If tricep exercises are giving you elbow pain, you probably need to start working your forearm extensors - the muscles responsible extending the wrist.
Most people have weak and untrained forearm extensors and they get stressed more than they can bear when you are doing anything that involves wrist extension and weight. This even can happen during chin ups and squats.

Start doing reverse wrist curls every workout. 3-5 sets of 10+
Also train them at home with thick rubber bands. Put them around your fingers and open your hand for reps.
>>
>>40443946
gonna need a source on that
>>
>>40443994

Well its only a video I saw, but this method fixed my elbow tendonitis that I'd had for months. And it only took a few weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv3T4UBhwik
>>
>>40444033
nice i'll bookmark this for when i inevitably fuck myself up
>>
File: richpiano2.png (2MB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
richpiano2.png
2MB, 1080x1080px
>>40442219
Give JM presses a shot. You can try them in the smith machine too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTxOBkKDkzs&t=262s
>>
>>40444033
This is actually really good advice and i'm going to start doing this in my workouts.

I suffer from elbow tendonitis, primarily from drumming for 15 years, but skullcrushers really hurt my elbows the next day. Hopefully this helps fix the muscle imbalance.
>>
same happens for me. skullcrushers fuck up my tendinitis for 2-3 days my arms are useless
>>
File: 20170220_092436.jpg (2MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20170220_092436.jpg
2MB, 4128x2322px
>>40444504
If you dont want to look autistic carrying around a protein jug filled with sand, i suggest just using a bag with a cord instead.

This has the added benefit of letting you put predetermined amounts of weight in the bag.
>>
>>40442219
If you have a hammer curl bar, do skull crushers with that. It'll take the pressure off your elbow. Try and avoid any tricep workout that requires your palms to be turned down.

Stick to grips where your palms will face each other. It is less strenuous on the elbows.
>>
>>40442219
A lot of gyms have a seated dip machine so look around for that
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.