[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sup /fit/ Just starting up Rippetoe's starting strength

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: 5D5wN6c.jpg (127KB, 572x529px) Image search: [Google]
5D5wN6c.jpg
127KB, 572x529px
Sup /fit/

Just starting up Rippetoe's starting strength workout and had a couple qs

1) I am too weak to do chin ups and dips effectively right now -- what can I do instead to get me ready for these exercises?
I have access to a machine where I can do 'lat pulldowns' -- would that help?

2) I know it says workout 3 times a week but if I have a light work-week and have a lot of free time, can I just work out every day? Or should I stick to only 3 days?

3) My goal is more to lose weight/gain strength than get 'big', is the Rippetoe routine still the right one to do? I like it because it is pretty simple and compound exercises sound good to a newbie like me.

Thanks!
>>
File: image.jpg (53KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
53KB, 600x600px
I'm just starting up these dubs
>>
>>40434435
1) Do negative part of chin ups, instead of dips you can just focus on increasing the bench press.

2) Work out every other day, you can do some light cardio on rest days.

3) It's ok but you will gain strength slower while cutting.
>>
File: 1460326583448.jpg (20KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1460326583448.jpg
20KB, 480x360px
>>40434464
OH SHIT
>>
>>40434435
how much do you weigh

and yes work out as much as possible, overtraining is a meme
>>
>>40434435
>I am too weak to do chin ups and dips effectively right now -- what can I do instead to get me ready for these exercises?
>I have access to a machine where I can do 'lat pulldowns' -- would that help?
Not really.

Look for an assisted weighted dip/chin/pull-up machine. If you don't have that, then just do negatives for chins and tricep push-downs for dips.

>>40434435
>I know it says workout 3 times a week but if I have a light work-week and have a lot of free time, can I just work out every day? Or should I stick to only 3 days?
Possibly, but not really.

The problem is that, if you actually follow the program, you add weight every session. Adding a mere 5 lbs to a lift three times a week will get brutal fairly quickly. However adding 5 lbs to a lift five times a week is totally unsustainable for more than your first couple weeks.

Could you just double up on the same weight on your extra sessions? Maybe.

What you may want to do on your off-days are lower-intensity things that aren't in the program and won't hurt the program, like maybe some arm accessories or cardio. Cardio is a pretty safe bet.
>>
>>40434502
>>40434530
>>40434524
Awesome thanks for the tips
I weigh 140lbs, 5'7'' height
>>
>>40434570
> 140lbs, 5'7'' height
Start bulking, manlet.
>>
>>40434570
If you try a negative and just fall straight down, an assisted pull up machine or lat pull down machine would be helpful. Otherwise, negatives are your best bet.

Consider laddering either your negatives or assisted chin-ups if you're having trouble with volume. Do one rep, wait for your imaginary friend to do one rep. Do two reps, wait for your friend to do two. Go to five, and reset back to one rep. Repeat the entire thing five times for 75 reps total.

Or try greasing the groove- buy a chin-up bar, and bang out a few reps every time you go under it.

You will not be able to progress as fast as Rippetoe claims you will. You will run into difficulties with form and it will be annoying and embarrassing failing the barbell squat.
>>
>>40434524
>work out as much as possible, overtraining is a meme
Fucking retarded
>>
You're gonna put on a shitload of weight senpai, it's part of the program.

I recommend you just follow the routine. Rippetoe is adamant about not doing cardio, but 15 mins of light, low intensity cardio on off days is a nice way to improve cardio a tiny bit without consuming gains and its good for mental health. You can do some minor accesory shit on off days too like curls. I do lat raises during my 3 days as well because I have particularly shit shoulders.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.