[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does /fit/ swim? Can I make gains by only swimming and following

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: olympics-swimming.jpg (51KB, 460x276px) Image search: [Google]
olympics-swimming.jpg
51KB, 460x276px
Does /fit/ swim?

Can I make gains by only swimming and following a good diet?
What mode can I reach by swimming?
>>
yes
yes
poseidon mode
>>
Good gains, good cardio, good everything basically >>40369982
what more do you need to know?

>that wasn't a question
>>
If you're trying for overall health swimming is great, but for your appearance not so much. Due the the cold water of the pool, and being surround by water, your body starts to store more water and bodyfat on the surface to have an easier time staying warm. That's why professional waterpolo players dont look as good as like sprinter even though theyre in just as crazy of an athletic state.
>>
>>40371591
Sounds like bullshit to me.
Sprinters have to carry their weight so every ounce counts, while fat is buoyant.
Also weight doesn't matter as much in a pool.
Why would your body store more water near the surface to keep warm?
Most indoor pools are already pretty warm to begin with.
Why aren't people in cold countries storing more surface fat
>>
File: 1424168191763.png (106KB, 1111x620px) Image search: [Google]
1424168191763.png
106KB, 1111x620px
The general consensus is that swimming alone won't produce muscular hypertrophy or only very little. You definitely need to supplement it with weightlifting to get to the body type you see on most olympic swimmers.

I used to swim fairly regularly (3-4 times weekly), and it produced some nice results for my back muscles and shoulders but not much else. I've had a couple of people compliment my back muscles which feels pretty good so swimming is gr8.
>>
I swim every second or third day depending on work, it has noticeably improved my shoulders.
Swimming is good for you. Especially if you're nursing an injury or go for an easy swim on a rest day. Combine it in with other exercise such as weights.
>>
>>40371591
that is some impressive broscience
>>
I swim just about a mile five times a week. I just started regularly swimming this year. My upper body has gotten noticeably more defined while on my cut.
>>
I try to swim every morning. 15 laps. I dunno if it does much but I can certainly feel fatigue in my legs after 5 straight days, thats usually when I skip a day.
>>
>>40369863

define "gains" - your ambiguous questions will yield useless answers

swimming is great cardiovascular work, and excellent conditioning work to build your endurance. you should be lifting if you want gains that are substantial, but swimming is a great supplement to that. the nice advantage that swimming has is less stress on joints/ligaments/etc as you're not pressing against concrete, but water instead. you will see additional benefit to your musculature from swimming: you will fortify your core, legs, back, and arms if you do all the strokes with good form.

I HIGHLY recommend it, just not as your sole activity for gains

source: was on varsity/club swimming for several years
>>
File: xcltQCH.jpg (63KB, 620x640px) Image search: [Google]
xcltQCH.jpg
63KB, 620x640px
>>40371703
Sounds like you haven't heard of Aquatic Ape mode
>>
>>40371920

oh shit u really showed him with that pic of a fat lady underwater and an unsourced quote

... you do realize that swimmers warm up in the pool just as runners or any other athlete do? water polo players are in great shape; have you ever played a match?
>>
>tfw it's winter here and I can't swim every single fucking day in that delicious beautiful salty water paradise
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.