[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone here use jumpropes for cardio? Found my grandads old pair

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_4692.jpg (42KB, 251x425px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4692.jpg
42KB, 251x425px
Anyone here use jumpropes for cardio? Found my grandads old pair from when he did boxing and it seems like decent cardio, how'd you start? How does it match up to running? How important is a good rope?
>>
>>40205646
>How does it match up to running? How important is a good rope?

Both work the same muscle mainly. I prefer rope because it's much more fun. A lot of sweet moves you can do once you master the basics (kinda like skating).

I think a good rope is pretty important but for the first months it shouldn't matter all that much.
>>
>>40205877
>work the same muscle mainly
Citation needed
>>
>>40206012
They both heavily isolate the calves
Gastrocnemius for the most part
>>
Jump rope burns around the same calories as running. Plus it's portable and you can do it in a confined space. It's also very useful for interval training and doing plyometrics/building explosiveness. It's also great for strengthening and becoming lighter on your feet, and improving coordination and rhythm. Its also much more fun than running with all the rope trick variations you can do, though it will take some time to build up the skills for that. A good rope is essential for jump roping fast enough to challenge yourself. If it's an old boxing rope them it is likely a leather rope so you should be fine. If you ever want any faster then look for a speed rope.
>>
>>40205877
> Rope important
You don't need the rope.
Jump up and down while spinning your arms. Wow, same workout.
>>
More important than the the type of rope is the length. Standing on the middle of the rope, the length (not including handles) should reach up to your nipples or so.

A speed rope made out of steel cable (like 6 dollars on Amazon) in my opinion is much better than a plastic rope or a leather rope. Make sure it comes with ball bearings.

For routines, I usually do a boxers routine. 6 rounds, 3 minutes each, with a burn out (spin as quick as you can) for 30 seconds at the end of each round. Take a 1 min break, and when you become good enough either add more rounds or reduce the break to 45 seconds, 30 seconds, etc.

Practice good form. Your jumping should only be an inch or so off the floor. If you're stomping around, you're going to hurt your knees/ankles and be out of breath really, really quickly.

Practice tricks. Side to side steps, criss cross, double unders, etc.

At first, you'll mess up too quickly to run out of breath. Once you develop a good rhythm, you'll run out of breath in your first few rounds. Once you pass that hurdle, you'll find that your cardiovascular endurance shoots through the roof. When I'm done, my back is absolutely soaked with sweat. If you want to work out your arms, you can purchase weighted jump ropes (the actual rope is weighted, not the handles) which work out your arms a ton. These are more expensive though, of course.

Jump roping is easy to pick up, but difficult to master. Once you do however, you'll love it and I've actually had people stop and stare at me when I jump rope really fast while doing tricks. Some even picked up jump roping themselves and asked for tips.

Personally, I prefer it more than running and the fat loss results in my opinion are drastically better.
>>
>>40206333
Absolutely banging answer tbf
>>
>>40206232

It's about timing as well and having something to regulate your movements e.g. smaller wrist movements at higher revolutions. It also builds coordination.
>>
>>40206760

It's why he got trips. He earned them.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.