[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm poor. All I have are these old adjustable dumbbells

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: 1484200167767.jpg (37KB, 700x445px) Image search: [Google]
1484200167767.jpg
37KB, 700x445px
I'm poor. All I have are these old adjustable dumbbells plus a bench. I want to get stronger. Can I use standard barbell strength routines with this set up?

Like StrongLifts, and then Texas method or something - but just using dumbbells. I think they can reach 40kg per dumbbell? Pls help. Really want to get strong
>>
Gym memberships are cheap as fuck. Mines $100 a year.
>>
>40kg per dumbbell
>Texas method

kek

try bodyweight stuff
>>
>>40193256
Lucky bastard
>>
>>40193246
Add a pull up bar and you'll probably be ok.
Then do a split with dumbbell exercise instead of barbell. You won't manage a DB press of 40Kg on each arm before months...
For the leg, DB squats.
When you can't add volume, add intensity/reps/volume.
>>
File: eldiablo.jpg (3MB, 3773x4000px) Image search: [Google]
eldiablo.jpg
3MB, 3773x4000px
Go for bodyweight training
>>
>>40193246
USE DUMBELLS. destroy your shoulders and arms everday. trust me, youll thank me later.
>>
>>40193246
Dude who switched to dumbbell only after 3 years of lifting here. My setup is:
2x52kg dumbbells
3 unstable stools as a bench
a pull-up bar for the door (those are cheap as fuck, get one)

and I do:

day A:
Romanian DL (with DBs, obviously) 3x8
shrugs 3x8
croc rows 3x8
DB OHP 3x5-8

day B:
Lunges 3x8
Pistol squat 3xF
DB Bench 3x12 (can't go higher than 35kg, sadly, because I couldn't get them down savely otherwise - you should do 3x5-8
Weighted Pull ups 3x8 (I put the weight into a backpack)

You can add bi/tri/ accessories as you please. This is completely sufficient to get big by normie standards. You might want to invest in bigger DBs for DL/rows/shrugs some time, though.
>>
>>40193246
I started with an old weight bench that's older then I am and random weights I picked up from junkyards and iron plates that were made in a metal shop.
At my peak when I was all about size I weighed 285 and had 19inch arms 52 inch chest 27 inch thighs and 19 inch calves..but a 41 inch waist
Was repping 315 and doing 405 for multiple sets of reps.
Even banged out 3x12 strict chins.

All on a crappy old weight bench and hard work...and a bit of madness.
>>
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECRh-kXO-Dg
I do this when I can't go to the gym
>>
resistance bands make a way better poorfag tool
>>
>>40193690
Except it's really harder to measure progress and change resistance...
>>
Thanks for all the responses. It's encouraging to know that I can still make it in some way with my set up.

>>40193459
Does your routine look like
AxBxAxx
BxAxBxx

Or what kind of split is it. I'll definitely try to get a pull up bar asap
>>
Go to http://scoobysworkshop.com/ it will help you start off
>>
>>40193734
You really don't need to measure progress through conventional means. Find a band that challenges you in a proper rep x set format. Progress by moving to the next band up or adding a second skinny band. You don't need to work in the exact rep range each time. Just keep increasing resistance and working to fail. Guaranteed gains.
>>
>>40194180
Yep. It doesn't follow any specific split system, just first the leg exercise(s), then upper body with BP or OHP and Rows/Pullups + Accessories.
The order of exercises can be switched up, it's just much more convenient to keep the weight on the DBs after DLs and do shrugs&rows, instead of switching from high weight to low weight to high weight again.

If you have a proper diet and solid form (the basic cues that hold for the BB lifts are pretty much the same for the DB alternatives) you will make some nice gains. Just stay at it consistently.
>>
>>40194484
Sounds like quite a good place to start thanks anon. After this 3 day split and I absolutely reach my limit I assume it's good to just pick a PPL routine and start on that?
>>
>>40194544
You can follow any routine you like, as long as it's properly balanced. The one I do is just my old routine from gym times switched up so that I hit all the muscles appropriately with the equipment at hand.

For example, as a beginner you might want to replace Lunges and pistol squats with DB squats - they work fine in the beginning. Just later on they become a pain in the ass, as your form goes to shit with 50kg DBs in your hands and it isn't even sufficient to hit the legs properly (normally squatted 3 pl8).
>>
>>40194686
I see I see. Great info anon. I'm ready to begin.
>>
>>40193256
At my gym we have one squat rack with safeties, one without
Our deadlift platform is two moveable rubber mats (obviously aren't level with the floor)
Our barbells suck
No bumper plates
Though we do have some random fun stuff (grip training grips for pullups, etc)
~260USD per year
100 is amazing
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.