[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just took a listen to the Gary Tubes podcast Joe Rogan recen

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

Just took a listen to the Gary Tubes podcast Joe Rogan recently did. Good couple hours about North Americas nutritionists systematically causing obesity through popularization of sugar, and the benefits of cutting carbs out of your diet. Anyone doing a jerk diet? Any thoughts on low carb and how it has affected your training?

Link: https://youtu.be/q0ffswUVoxA
>>
Gary Taubes*
>>
>>40148482
Pretty truthful stuff. I lost 60 lbs of fat emphasizing protein and restricting myself to about 3 servings of carbs a day.
>>
Holy fucking auto-correct. I meant to say keto diet.
>>
>>40148482

Gary Taubes is an absolute quack who only cares about selling books to fat people.

Here's a good, long video series on him that's worth a watch if you have time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QImWYirF0es&list=PLv3QDzdxan_JkGX47Rpboyh2oYyAFZDBA

>North Americas nutritionists systematically causing obesity through popularization of sugar

Never happened. There's an idea among some of the crazier low carb advocates that the government encouraged people to eat lots of sugary foods, but the nutrition guidelines have always discouraged refined sugars. Sugar is popular but it's not because health institutes told people to eat it.
>>
He spent a good chunk of time talking about the Atkins diet as well and essentially said you could have whatever caloric input you wanted and still lose weight as long as you stuck to fats/protein. This is obviously a stretch, calories in/out matters, but is there some truth to the idea that you could benefit a lot more from all your calories being carb free?
>>
>>40148482
>Gary Taubes
He is an idiot, journalist with no knowledge in biochemistry. I watched the episode, he didn't say anything intelligent in those two and a half hours.

Robert Lustig is where it's at.
>>
>>40148626

He's also of the opinion that obesity is entirely to do with dietary carbohydrate, rather than energy intake. He pretty steeply lost a debate to Alan Aragon about this topic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRCv5RWXWx8&t=2s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSEVkiTCCNw
>>
>>40148665

Robert Lustig is pretty dumb too. He comes up in this playlist >>40148549
>>
i did low carb
had zero fucking energy after a month
>>
>>40148686
> channel named Plant Positive
I'll pass.

Lustig knows what he is talking about from the chemical standpoint. Watch his lectures.
Read Weston A. Price.
>>
>>40148716

Pass if you want, but it's good info and a good critique of the modern low carb movement.

>Read Weston A. Price

Also an organization of quacks.

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/sbm-weston-prices-appalling-legacy/
>>
Taubes is a cuck, he's not even that /fit/, he basically just keeps trying to sell you the atkins diet, but if you go no carb you have no energy to lift.

much better solution is intermittent fasting + leangains or kinobody style lifting.

Look up "The Obesity Code" by Jason Fung to see why IF works so well, he builds on Taubes' work and takes out the retarded parts.

Also, Gary is clearly DYEL as fuck so I dont know why I ever listened to him. He's a fucking quacky cuck and a cucky quack. Jason Fung is a real ass nigga
>>
>>40148790

Fuck the organization, read his work.
An for fuck sake, if you have a low opinion of Yudkin than kill yourself in soda.
>>
>>40148843

>read his work

He was a dentist that traveled the world studying the teeth of natives and using that to assess what the optimal human diet should be. He died of a heart attack in his 70s. His work had no lasting effect on the field of nutrition and his legacy is only carried on through the foundation that was formed decades after his death by some diet book writing quacks, one of which is obese and the other who died of a stroke. How do you fall for something like that?
>>
>>40148905
All right than, consume 20 spoons of sugar a day if that's your shit.
>>
>>40148924

Why is that the alternative in your mind?
>>
>>40148937

Practice what you preach.
If you shill for sugar than consume it in the amounts that obese people do, because apparently sugar is not toxic.
If you by any chance end up with their health problems you will rethink your position and just maybe read a book for once in your life, instead of watching youtube and searching wikipedia.
>>
>>40148986

>If you shill for sugar

How am I shilling for sugar? I agree that refined sugars are unhealthy. That doesn't mean you can accept all quackery in nutrition as long as it's anti-sugar.
>>
>>40149022

Than why do you disrespect Yudkin and Price? Read their works, Price was a dentist who looked at abnormalities in faces of indigenous people caused by modern diet, that's the essence of science.
I will agree that Lustig, Taubes and contemporaries are all trying to sell a book and make money, but making money doesn't make you a shitcunt, they gotta eat somehow.
>>
>>40148482

I think ketogenic benefits are worth pursuing but, I would much rather get them with intermittent fasting (I do 23hrs) and have the flexibility of eating a burger and fries if I want one without sacrificing my weight loss for the week, rather than going on a low-carb diet.
>>
>>40149081

kinobody pls
>>
>>40149072

>Than why do you disrespect Yudkin and Price?

I disagree with them because the point about sugar being unhealthy isn't the only claim they make. Yudkin believed that sugar was THE cause of heart disease and spent his whole life trying to scrape together evidence and deny other causes. Price agreeing that sugar is unhealthy doesn't also mean drinking raw full-fat milk will prevent heart disease.

And more on OP's topic, sugar being unhealthy does not mean a low carb diet is ideal or that our knowledge of what types of fat are good or bad for you can be ignored.

Look at the cover of the man's most popular book. "Good Calories, Bad Calories." It's a picture of butter on toast. Is one of these supposed to represent good calories? That's the false dichotomy his journalist career rests on; pander to obese people who eat horrible diets, and tell them they can keep some of the horrible things by just blaming everything on the other horrible things. It would be too much to suggest people learn to like healthy food.
>>
>>40149165
Well thought out and nuanced perspective. Unfortunately you will never sell millions of dollars worth of product with that attitude. At best you grind your whole life and over time and word of mouth you become a respected semi wealthy trainer and nutritionist in your local area... Welcome to America
>>
>>40149095
I don't know what kinobody is. I just do intermittent fasting and watch calories, aerobics and resistance training 5 times a week. Is that kinobody?
>>
>>40149165

Sugar does have an effect on cholesterol. Pure, White and Deadly is purely a science book based on experiments.
My view is that Yudkin was fighting against the industry and that Ancel Keys was a cunt.

You need carbs, minimum of 150 grams a day more or less, if you don't eat them you will convert them from fat or amino acids. The point is your body needs them because it will make them if necessary. Low carb is great for wieght loss, but bad for anaerobic activities.

Butter on toast kinds of diets are deadly of course. They are for dumb fat moms and they don't work or they have a yo yo effect.
Taubes is an idiot without knowledge, do you believe he wrote his books? He had to pay someone.
>>
>>40149278

This playlist >>40148549 also brings up Yudkin and Ancel Keys. You might enjoy the videos if you give them a try. They're pretty informative, and it's always good to look at different sides.

I have to head out but I just want to re-iterate that these people aren't the few brave men challenging the mainstream by speaking out against sugar; sugar being unhealthy is well-accepted and has been for a very long time. It's actively discouraged and nobody debates that. It's just that there is more to nutrition than avoiding sugar, and many of these peoples' beliefs don't align with the rest of the experts in the medical field who have built upon decades of empirical work from thousands of researchers, not single people with radical ideas that don't stand up to scrutiny. When you turn to "alternative" science for answers, you get a lot of bullshit with a few truths here and there.
>>
>>40149338
I will give them a look.

The problem with the research is that it's always founded by someone who wants the good results.Objective studies are very rare.

"Eat food, not too much, MOSTLY plants." is one of the most optimal approaches to a diet and probably the healthiest in my opinion.
But that's only if you want a healthy not so active lifestyle.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.