[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /fit/ I'm a vet, and no stranger to exercise. In fact,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: Axillary-NPal.jpg (40KB, 504x504px) Image search: [Google]
Axillary-NPal.jpg
40KB, 504x504px
Hey /fit/

I'm a vet, and no stranger to exercise. In fact, I love to run, and used to do sit-ups like a champ.
I haven't worked out in a few years because of some deteriorating health conditions.
Specifically, my right axillary nerve is dead, and the deltoid muscle is dead/non-regenerative.
Not only that, but my knees pop and grind when I try to do anything more than walk.
After about 2 miles of an airborne shuffle pace, my knees hurt too much to go on. Which is a shame, because I like to run 5 miles or more.

My question is, what can I do to get around the issues with my knees and right shoulder, and get back in shape?
Currently 250lbs. Can do 240-30 sit-ups, walk 2-3 miles, and I avoid upper body stuff as my right shoulder severely limits my options.

Any suggestions on a realistic workout regiment to get back down to a managable weight, and be more healthy?
Please no obvious stuff like burn more than you take in. I'm aware of the obvious fixes.
More interested in a low impact routine to achieve burning off more than I take in.
>>
>>40143681
Swimming is good for people with fucked knees
>>
>>40143681
>no upper body stuff
Well fuck. Considered biking yet? A stationary bike especially shouldn't be too hard on your shoulder while being less taxing for your knees than running as well.

Also, what causes the knee problems, and does the cause prevent lower body strength training?
>>
>>40143691
His shoulder's fucked too. Only backstroke methinks.
>>
>>40143681
Physiotherapist here.

PRESENT TO PHYSIOTHERAPIST, ASK FOR ROUTINE, GET KNEES FIXED. THIS IS EXACTLY OUR JOB.
>>
If you are looking to just lose weight use a stairmaster set that bitch to 15 and do 30 minutes worth
>>
>>40143708
no. honestly you probably shouldn't be swimming because you won't have the correct scapulohumeral rythm to prevent further injury in any stroke. GO TO PHYSIO.
>>
>>40143699
I haven't had my knees checked out yet, so no idea.
My legs aren't in too bad of shape.
My knees give out long before I get tired on a stationary bike. After about 35 minutes of moderate activity on a stationary bike my knees hurt too much to continue.
I got into a gym last year to try and get back in shape. After about 2 weeks of walking on a treadmill and using a stationary bike, I could barely get up to walk around.
>>40143721
Thanks anon, I'll look into this.
>>40143708
Yeah. I know it's pathetic... But my right shoulder hits muscle failure just washing my hair in the shower.
My right shoulder is pretty much useless.
>>
>>40143730
If it's that bad, get diagnosis on knee problem, then refer to >>40143721.
>>
>>40143730
Where do you live OP, in Australia..which city?
If it's Aus I can tell u more about the options for physio etc...from the physio.
>>
>>40143769
I live in a small town, about 90 minutes from Shreveport, Louisiana in the United States.
>>
>>40143780
Ok cool. I don't know as much about the US health system, but I looked it up and as of last year, in Louisiana physical therapists have 'direct access', AKA you can present straight to the physio without doctor referral.

So I would go to a physio, having looked them up online. You're looking for someone who looks in shape, maybe a mention of a background in sports in their blurb. Steer clear of any practices with a lot of talk about 'manual therapy' and 'lasers' etc that is all bullshit.

When you go in there, tell them you're hoping to get in shape and you would like to develop an exercise routine that incorporates resistance training, and works around your shoulder issue together. Tell them also that you would like them to assess your knees, hopefully they will assess and give you some exercises. Expect to be given the exercise routine and stuff to be going on with in about 3 sessions. Don't hang around for the airy fairy massage, laser or dry needling crap (as you might see I am a very red-pilled physio).

These lads in Shreveport look alright. http://www.brewerpt.com/MeetOurTeam#7570611321-adam-brewer-dpt

These women look chill: 'Patients/Clients first, Employees second, Owners third'

http://www.edgephysicaltherapy.com/services.php
>>
>>40143887
Thanks a bunch anon.
I'll start with this and see what I can get going.
>>
>>40143903
No worries. Unlucky about the nerve problem, you're gonna make it.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.