[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /fit. Scoliosis fag here, been lifting for about 4 months

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: scoliosis.jpg (150KB, 1000x900px) Image search: [Google]
scoliosis.jpg
150KB, 1000x900px
Hey /fit. Scoliosis fag here, been lifting for about 4 months and I was wondering if there are good exercises I can do or which part of my body train more to correct my posture or spine?
Thanks.
>>
>>40099307
pull-ups. negatives, if you can't do the regular.

you can also just hang from the bar for a minute at a time or however long you can. that straightens me right up
>>
File: 1483737705100.jpg (61KB, 1000x800px) Image search: [Google]
1483737705100.jpg
61KB, 1000x800px
>>40099307
depends what sort of scoliosis you have.

a structural scoliosis means your spine shifted/curved/rotated/etc. you can't exercise your way out of the curvature if your scoliosis is structural in nature. you can exercise to mitigate muscular imbalances that are a result of the scoliosis.

a functional scoliosis is a manipulation of your skeletal structure due to muscular imbalances. you first developed the imbalance and then your skeletal structure had to compensate for it. you have far better luck correcting a functional scoliosis. you address the muscular issue and your spine should follow.

i have structural scoliosis with a pretty big curve but cosmetically i look okay. if you've researched scoliosis then you'll know that there are some really fucked up cases. truly life altering, pretty scary senpai.

lifting has helped to "mask" my scoliosis. i've had family, doctors, and friends comment that they notice my imbalances less and less since i've gotten bigger, more muscular. in conjunction with heightened awareness in regards to my posture, i look seemingly normal until i have to take a shirt off or get into certain positions.

there are still things that suck about it but, cosmetically, it is a non-issue for me. i was very self-conscious of it when i was younger but, again, the lifting has helped a lot.
>>
>>40099325
Thanks, mate!
>>40099406
I do believe I have functional scoliosis, due to bad muscular development/bad posture when I was growing.
It's nice to read you could correct it a bit at least. It wouldn't be better a surgery in your case? I've seen a lot of good results out of that kind of surgeries.
>>
>>40099307
>>40099406
>>40099509
How do anons even get scoliosis? Is it from a childhood spent sitting in school for 8 hours followed by 16 hours spent sitting/laying at home(aka child abuse)?
>>
>>40099509
well, you don't know if you have functional or structural scoliosis. you need to have a medical professional diagnosis it with the help of imaging.

surgical options are generally reserved for very bad cases of structural scoliosis that would impact the patient's quality of life.

the surgery involves correcting the spine and then implanting metal rods, plates, and screws to hold it in place. if you're of a young age then there are less invasive procedures that can help to lessen the severity of the curve. if you're past 18 then those aren't viable.

no self-respecting doctor will advocate for a surgical option if there wasn't a good reason for it. if the curvature or resulting complications aren't serious then there's no real point outside of cosmetic issues. that's not good enough reason usually.
>>
Pullups
Hyper extensions
Janda sit ups
Hip thrusts
Zercher squats

You can not correct it unfortunately but you can prevent it from getting worse.
>>
>>40099587
most cases of scoliosis are idiopathic (aka "we have no fucking clue why this happens"). the general consensus for structural scoliosis is that it's genetic. your spine decided to just go that way.

functional scoliosis can be caused by a lot of things. something as simple as bad posture and a heavy backpack throughout development can cause a lot of muscular issues which will affect your skeletal structure, including your spine.
>>
File: lamar-gant-scoliosis.jpg (27KB, 490x388px) Image search: [Google]
lamar-gant-scoliosis.jpg
27KB, 490x388px
>>40099307
>if there are good exercises I can do or which part of my body train more to correct my posture or spine?
Why would you want to correct your god-tier deadlifting secret tech?
>>
>>40099587
underdeveloped muscles as a child along with genetic predisposition. People with scoliosis often have parents and relatives with it too
>>
>>40099639
>>40099647
>Muh genetics
>Implying genetics are even real

Show me a picture of "genetics", lel do "genetics" explode from "le big bang theory" as well?
>>
>>40099843
very low quality bait
>>
File: jojo.png (507KB, 948x534px) Image search: [Google]
jojo.png
507KB, 948x534px
>>40099307
>>
>>40099509
surgery is extremely risky for scoliosis
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.