[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Strength vs. Hypertrophy? Move to a hypertrophy routine

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: HypertrophyvStrength.jpg (10KB, 291x173px) Image search: [Google]
HypertrophyvStrength.jpg
10KB, 291x173px
>Strength vs. Hypertrophy?

Move to a hypertrophy routine or keep getting stronger?

> I have been lifting for 1.5 yrs, 6', 200lb
> DL 455x3, Squat 425x3,
> Bench 250x3, OHP 165x3

I basically do an upper/lower split with 5x5 and 5x3 days.

I feel like I am at a cross roads of switching to a hypertrophy program to actually look like I lift or just keep getting stronger and pushing my numbers up.

> Suggestions, thoughts, experiences and general discussion about strength vs. size are welcomed
>>
Do it, your numbers are stupid high by normie standards, plus you have nothing to lose by not looking all fluffy.
>>
>>40085041

These are not mutually exclusive things. Almost any good strength program has significant hypertrophy work involved and vice versa.

Probably gonna need to stop being 6'0 200 if you want to look like you seriously lift. Or get seriously lean at that weight. It's not a huge amount of muscle mass if you're carrying any excess fat.
>>
>>40085041
What does your routine look like exactly right now? What's your progression system?
>>
I got to 2/3/4/5 seven months ago, hovered around there or just above it for about a month, and then I had the busiest semester of school I've ever had so I ate very little and went to the gym once or twice a week.
By the end of the semester I was nowhere near 2/3/4/5 anymore. I'm now doing a very steep cut on a very light but daily modified 5/3/1 routine.
Don't lift for strength, it's just too easy to lose if you're not completely dedicated to it.
Just do a good, solid hypertrophy routine. You'll look good, and you'll definitely get stronger, just more slowly.
>>
>>40085050
Thanks anon, I think I should add a volume day for upper and lower at 4x10. Plus, dumbell accessories in 10 - 12 range

>>40085096
Yeah, that is what I am hoping. I don't want to loose too much strength. I do have some excess fat, and I don't look like I have a huge amount of muscle mass.

>>40085150
ABxABxxx

> A - upper - 5x5
Bench -5x5
ohp
ez bar curls
scull crushers
bb curls
pull downs

pretty much all accessories are sets of 7

> B
Squats - 5x5
DL - 5x5
Rows
shrugs
bb rows
weighted sit ups

then the next A and B days are the same but for 5x3

I always do a drop set for all my compounds to failure -- Bench - 205 to failure, DL 365 to failure, ect.

As far as progression I just try and add 5 lbs to my 3 rep max for bench every week or two, 10 or 20 lbs to squat and deadlift.

I basically go by feel and try to add what ever I think I can to my 3 and 5 rep maxes.
>>
>>40085233

More volume. Upper/Lower works fine as a split, but that's a high intensity/low volume setup overall. I'd suggest looking at something like the more volume-heavy 5/3/1 variants or even some of the Westside stuff out there if you want more variety.
>>
>>40085222
Thanks, that makes sense. I hurt my hand 6 months ago so I took a month break, and the strength left quick.I was also nowhere near where I was before the time off.

5/3/1 looks interesting, but I don't know if I could get used to hitting each compound only once a week. I will have to do some more research on a good, solid hypertrophy routine, but it sounds like a plan.

>>40085323
I agree, more volume sounds key. I will have to look into 5/3/1 and west side.

I am not really a numbers/math guy, so in the past when I looked at programs with each set for every week calculated as a percentage of 1rm it seemed confusing. But I can get over that. Thanks
>>
>>40085446

The way most people do 5/3/1, they switch around the assistance work so that they do volume OHP work on the day they do their main bench sets and so on. Lets you get the lifts twice per week.
>>
>>40085233
>>40085323
>>40085446
>>40085470
I second this, 5/3/1 is good. Read "Beyond 5/3/1".

Here's how you can set up the base:
Squat 5/3/1 + 2 down sets
Deadlift (variation) 5x10
Ab work

Bench 5/3/1 + 2 down sets
OHP (variation) 5x10
(superset with chinups/pullups 10x)
Oblique work

Deadlift 5/3/1 + 2 down sets
Squat (variation) 5x10
Ab work

OHP 5/3/1 + 2 down sets
Bench (variation) 5x10
(superset with chinups/pullups 10x)
Oblique work

for abs and obliques you can do that superset as well (i.e. Bench->chin->obliques->rest)
To get the percentages right, use a 531 app or set up an excel sheet.
the (variation) means you can do stuff like front squats, romanian deadlifts, incline bench etc for the volume work.

Beyond this basic setup, you can do pretty much whatever you feel like you need.
>>
>>40085470
>>40085570
This is great! This is what I am going to do.

Thank you!
>>
>>40085679
Sorry I'm late for this thread, looks like a good one(far a change). All these advices are good and I just wanted to throw my two cents: Look up for DUP and/or concurrent periodization. Based on your answers those training methods seem fit.
>>
>>40085679
To go into a bit more detail, try the 531 Boring But Big 3 month challenge https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/boring-but-big-3-month-challenge

For calculating percentages, you can use http://blackironbeast.com/5/3/1/calculator

Hope that helps!
>>
>>40087162

>5x10 squats, deadlifts and bench

lol fuck that
>>
>>40085041
post body
>>
>>40085570
5x10 is only going to be reasonable for a month or two. you'll stall. switch to 5x5 right away when 5x10 starts lagging, and then possibly to 5x3.

when you stall with 5x3, add more accessory work and start over with 5x10.

at one point i did
531 bench
5x5 rows
5x5 ohp
5x15 face pulls
3x10 LTEs
3x10 lateral raises

and the workout took almost 2 hours but it was necessary to progress
>>
>>40087171
I've only started it like 3 weeks ago and the 5x10 DL part is the only one that breaks you. But I don't see the problem with 5x10 bench and squat, as ACCESSORIES to the times you do them heavier with 5/3/1
>>
>>40087171
>>40087192
i suggest doing a DL accessory instead of regular DLs for the BBB sets. deficit, RDL, paused, banded....

i personally prefer one-leg deficit romanian banded paused snatch grip DLs
>>
>>40085041
It depends on your diet. If you just want to keep eating for gains and don't want to commit to a serious diet, then strength training is probably your best bet.
If you're willing to commit to a high protein diet with a modest surplus or deficit (depending on how fat you are and what your goals are) then I would recommend beginning each workout with some strength training and following it up with appropriate accessory work at high volumes.
>>
>>40085041
post pics
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.