[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>not squatting below parallel why? why do people do this?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 195
Thread images: 25

>not squatting below parallel

why? why do people do this?

I am tired of seeing this at the gym every single fucking day
>>
>>40075191
I've never seen anyone squatting below parallel with more than 1pl8 and I've seen 1/4 squatting with 3pl8 and that's how I imagine all the /fit/izens who claim they surpassed 1pl8 in their second week
>>
It hurtz dem kneez famalam :^)

Do legpress in this 5000$ machine instead!
>>
I used to go allthe way down but >buttwink so now im tryig to reduce depth to just below parrallel

Squattin 110kg rn for reps, my form isnt still perfect but im workin on it.

4months in
>>
>>40075211
it's really crazy how many solid gains are lost due to ego lifting
>>
I'll never understand this.

If you train ATG squats from day 1 this isn't ever an issue.

People just don't squat below parallel because they never do from day 1, and then they just keep on squatting that way.
>>
File: angry-pepe.jpg (7KB, 236x236px) Image search: [Google]
angry-pepe.jpg
7KB, 236x236px
>middle aged guy literally squats 1/4 of the distance, barely bending knees
>put on slightly more weight than me
>give me a cocky look afterwards

DIE NORMIE
>>
I ATG 120KG front squat for reps. I have great mobility.
>>
>>40075191
i played football for 10 years without stretching as a kid and am extremely stiff because of it
>>
>>40075191
I try to hit at least parallel, but not much bellow that because it kills my knees. I highbar ATG'd 4plate for a few reps last week and my bad knee flared up immediately.

Lowbar parallel squats are optimal for joint health.
>>
>>40075312
>Lowbar parallel squats are optimal for joint health.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11390050

>CONCLUSIONS:
Squatting from 70 degrees to 110 degrees of knee flexion had little effect on patellofemoral joint kinetics. The relative constancy of the patellofemoral joint reaction force and joint stress appeared to be related to a consistent knee extensor moment produced across the three squatting depths.
>>
>>40075242
ugh i know the feel..
>try maxing out on the squat for the first time
>only done squats for a month at the time cus bro split
>middle aged guy asks me if he can work in
>say "sure"
>he turns it into a competition on who could squat the most
>what i squatted, he squatted
>im squatting ATG and he's squatting with extremely bad form that looks painful and half repping
>>
Because it's hard. Last summer I was squatting for a couple months and thought I was getting pretty low. One day i bumped into a friend at the gym and got him to record me - it turned out i was barely hitting 1/2 ROM.

Essentially there's two problems with squatting: 1) it's nigh impossible to intuitively know if you're going past parallel without videoing yourself and 2) squatting more (with no other changes) does not improve your ROM, no matter how hard you try.
>>
File: image.jpg (255KB, 2348x1086px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
255KB, 2348x1086px
>>40075191

It's crazy. If you aren't going to squat below parallel, the just do deadlifts.

There are only two reasons for a normie to train the squat:

>Streatch Reflex
>Range of motion

You only get those benefits if you go below parallel.
>>
>squat below parallel
>knees crackle
It keeps making a sound like cracking your knuckles. It'll happen even if I'm only squatting 1 pl8.
It doesn't hurt but its kind of disconcerting.
Is it something to worry about?
>>
>>40075432
You realize that a parallel low bar squat has a knee flexion angle of AT LEAST 110 degrees?/

Meaning this study is pointless and doesn't include data on below parallel knee flexion angles
>>
>>40075218

Great blog my friend! Rated & Subscribed! Hope to see your post in my RSS feed
>>
>>40075474
Was happening to me, too. Turns out i had gotten bursitis (that sac between joints that makes it all lubricated n shit popped). My knees are so fucked up now that i have to go above parallel every time.
>>
>>40075191
Back squats make me feel unstable as fuck if I try to go below parallel but I can front squat so low my ass almost touches the ground.

Is this normal?
>>
>>40075474
>>40075507
Just warm up proprely dump niggers. Do like 2 sets of 10 squats without any weighr, after that your knees will be ready
>>
>>40075476
I wonder how big your ego have to be to put oneself about peer reviewed science
>>
File: franky.jpg (49KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
franky.jpg
49KB, 500x500px
>>40075644

Sounds like your hips and spine/pelvis aren't warmed up yet when you back out of the rack.

Are you squatting in the AM ? If so... try going to the gym *after* work/school when you have been moving around for a handful of hours.

Squatting in the PM might make all the difference. You body may not be "awake" if you're trying it in the AM.

>just thinking
>>
>>40075228
I used to go atg, but I almost snapped my shit up so now I go below parallel and call it a day
>>
If you live in the first world, you probably don't have the flexibility to properly squat without fucking your shit up.

Time to stretch, nigger.
>>
>>40075744

This guy gets it.

If you're going to squat in the morning, do some Lat pull downs first.

Not pull-ups.

Lat Pulldowns.

This will warm up your spine and shoulder joints.
>>
Sucks being a 23 yo with "hockey goal keeper knees", as in my knees make my legs to turn outwards a little by default, resulting in uneven erosion in my knees. Doc said when im 50 my knees will be super shit. They already snap badly and I cant do shit for legs.

Atm Im just doing some hipthrusts for my ass, RDL DBs for my hammies and pretty much fucking nothing for quads. Was thinking of trying some smith machine low weight high rep exhaustion squats to get my legs sore. Quite sure Im gonna be too scared for them to ever add much weight to gain strenght in them, a bit of muscle might come but thatll do.
>>
File: Screenshot_20161126215715.png (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161126215715.png
1MB, 2560x1440px
>>40075474
>warming up squats
>bad knee pain that gets worse and worse
>no pain at all at working weight
In starting to get concerned
>>
File: 1467098468709.jpg (72KB, 480x615px) Image search: [Google]
1467098468709.jpg
72KB, 480x615px
>>40075211
>tfw do 1.7pl8 ass to grass and fit will call me dyel

It's funny because my legs are bigger than literally all of the guys in the gym lifting 3 pl8s for quarter reps.
>>
My uni gym

>people barely hit parallel
>their knees buckle inwards as they 'drive' up
>all weight is on their toes
>squat mornings

and to make it worse

>they use pussy pads

I swear I'm like one of 3 or 4 people who actually go ATG. Genuinely hurts seeing people who squat with such shocking form, plus when you give advice they just ignore it. Smh.
>>
File: EREWER.gif (1MB, 500x357px) Image search: [Google]
EREWER.gif
1MB, 500x357px
https://www.t-nation.com/training/truth-about-ass-to-grass-squats

what do you guys think of this guys words about ATG
>>
>>40075874
This will help me with feeling like I'm going to fall over backwards?
>>
>>40075191
I don't care, when they inevitably injure themselves it becomes less competition for me.
>>
>>40075211
Literally yesterday there was a guy in my gym squatting 355 for reps.

Happens a lot when you aren't in Planet Fitness.
>>
>tfw atg squat and shit
>>
>>40075211
2 of the 3 gyms I go to have quite a number of legitimately strong folks that hit at least parallel. I'm one of like 3 other people in all my gyms that hit atg on high bar
>>
Sitting in front of a computer all my life has left me immobile as fuck. Can't go parallel with heavy weight, my lower back starts tucking in and it's a snapcity there.
I don't get the required mobility by squatting. Even with zero weights I get back pain when I force myself go low.

What I do is stretch twice every day. Already have made some mobility gains. Sooner or later I can squat how it is supposed to be done. It just takes time to undo all the damage all that inactivity and sitting has done over the years.
>>
File: images (11).jpg (23KB, 332x443px) Image search: [Google]
images (11).jpg
23KB, 332x443px
Becausey lower back rounds just as i begin to go below parallel

Due to flexibility issues. Somewhere in my hips. It's not buttwink, it's definitely my entire lower quarter/third of my back, as high as my pelvis goes.

Any ideas?
>>
>>40075211
I just did 1pl8 today again woo

Proper depth low bar cos SS

Felt good. I weigh 64kg and don't always get to train regular cos of my job (and I'm not that committed) but I love the full body workout SS gives.
>>
>>40076136
You need to work on proper hip stretching. It's harder for men to stretch their actual hips because of their cock muscles. Most just end up stretching their hamstrings and back and thinking that they're stretching their hips.
>>
>>40075191

Breaking parallel has more to do with competition.

Sport specific training often frowns upon the full squat.

In terms of the "correct" way to squat there are many and depending upon the desired results 1/4 1/2 3/4 full and ass to grass all have there place.

In other words lift your own weights and ignore other people.
>>
>>40076326
1/4 squatter detected
>>
>>40076136
Probably due to a weak posterior chain. SLDLs come to mind as a fix, among other similar movements.
>>
>dude with Chad tier genetics comes in the gym
>honestly one of the most attractive guys I've ever seen
>no homo
>walks up to squat rack
>half squats 1 plate
>nigger are you serious
>throws another plate on
>pls no
>half reps it
>catches me staring at him laughing to myself
>thinks I'm mirin the weight he's doing or something
>smirks
Fuck you chad.
>>
>>40075191
Squatting atg hits my left knee with a sharp nerve pain so I just do parallel
>>
>>40076372
This is the same guy that will walk across the gym to ask a girl to spot him on his 1.5plate half Rep bench. I just want to be like him.
>>
>>40075455
thats fucking bullshit, you knew you werent going deep enough at least dont lie to your fucking self
>>
>>40076375
This is okay. ATG is a meme anyway
>>
>>40075644

Yes and No.

First guess is you wear running shoes when you squat. This causes 2 primary issues the first is your start position has you rocked forward what you want is your foot to be parallel to the floor. The second is as you squat the shoes absorb the weight causing your once to high heels to now sink below your toes. The second issue gets worst as the weight goes up.

If you are wearing proper shoes or no shoes then you likely have a issue with form or hip mobility depending if low bar or high bar squat.

We really need a video where the camera is parallel to the floor at hip height
>>
File: 1408468454253.jpg (26KB, 400x462px) Image search: [Google]
1408468454253.jpg
26KB, 400x462px
>people that do the bare minimum depth

>people that don't do ass-to-ankles pause squats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zriYiPfvRjE
>>
>>40076326
The problem is when people are smug about squatting more weight than you with 1/4 of the rom
>>
>>40076136

IMHO you are not properly breathing so you lack the proper intra abdominal pressure.

If you low bar squat try high bar and vice versa.
>>
>>40076375
Same for my right knee, although it only hurts when my knee is under pressure at parallel, above and below that point it's fine. I just end up dive bombing my squat to atg and then bouncing out of the hole
>>
>>40076355

Right because I said the various depths of squats have different results its assumed by you I only 1/4 squat.

Sounds like your projecting.
>>
>>40076429

Let them be smug. You know better and everyone else knows better. Captain 1/4 squatter is of no concern.
>>
What do you guys respond to all those videos saying that there is no real or mechanical benefit in squatting ATG because the whole motion beyond the parallel position is completely superfluous?
>>
>>40075191
Body proportions
People with long femurs have to fold in half to do it
>>
>>40076613
this
>>
>>40075455
What? How can it be hard to notice that your calves are touching your hamstrings? there is absolutely no reason to stop your squat before you hit the bottom

"muh knees" guys don't know what they are doing / have injuries not related to ATG squatting
>>
>hip flexors get fucked up if i squat low
kill me
>>
if I had a thousand dollars for every squat I see in my gym done below parallel, I'd be a broke motherfucker
>>
>>40076613
My legs and femurs are long. Have non shitty ankle mobility and you can get your knees further forward which is not ideal but it better than squatting like Layne Norton.
>>
I didn't even know I wasn't going hips below knees till I filmed myself.
>>
>>40076613
that's just not true. Just let your knees go forward i.e. WAY past your feet to compensate for that
>>
File: peaking.gif (2MB, 245x196px) Image search: [Google]
peaking.gif
2MB, 245x196px
>>40075211
>regularly do over 3 plate below parallel
>catch people mirin me

This is the best feel
>>
Here you go: "squatting too low is a problem"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQD4Y_R4mOo
>>
>>40076240
I can't wrap my head around low bar and it hurts my shoulders for some reason whenever I try it so I stick to high bar. How many gainz am I killing?
>>
>>40076719

Body proportions matter a lot. Look at this guy.
https://youtu.be/KGEKRjlZKf8?t=3m32s
>Just let your knees go forward
sure bro, watch the video
>>
>>40076813
he's low bar squatting
>>
>>40076813
I don't understand.
He's basically saying that ATG squats are bad because he's using momentum, that's his problem.
>>
>>40076910
So?
>>
>>40075228

I don't think I have enough mobility to go much below parallel. Parallel is good enough for me (not that I have a choice).
>>
>>40076279
Any recommendations for hip stretches and mobility?

>>40076360
Would back extensions help with this? I've recently introduced them into my routine
>>
>>40075191
because it's insane how much easier it is when you don't squat below parallel so people get to load up 2pl8 and feel stronk
>>
>>40075211
I was just doing atg yesterday at 230 lbs. And if you looked at me I'm dyel
>>
File: paskka_makara.jpg (55KB, 998x917px) Image search: [Google]
paskka_makara.jpg
55KB, 998x917px
My max squat is just 2pl8, but I tried squatting below parallel with just 1 pl8 the other week and I seriously thought my knees were going to explode. How do you guys do it?

Also are you guys flexible to squat down in like a sitting position while keeping your heels on the ground? I was hanging out with other people and I was the only one who couldn't do it, even though I'm fitter than a few of them.
>>
File: lel.gif (497KB, 245x200px) Image search: [Google]
lel.gif
497KB, 245x200px
>>40076997
>2pl8
>stronk
>>
>>40077014
I put pl8s under my heels like a dyel
>>
>>40077014
HIP DRAAAAAAAAAAAHVE
>>
I've been going ATG for a bit now, but I always feel it mostly in my VM. Is it something with the form or are the other quad muscles not as simulated?
>>
>>40076387
Of course I fucking didn't. Why would I continue squatting if I knew that for certain?

I managed to fix it in the end mainly through goblet squats and mobility. But I would have remained on that path if I hadn't have got someone to record me.>

>40076659
You can go past parallel without touching your hamstrings pressing against your calves. Some people don't even have the proportions to achieve that.
>>
>>40077019
I think the guy was implying that 2pl8 wasn't strong, just that the type of guy who think it is, would only go parallel to reach it
>>
>>40076659
going that low is just autism and essentially resting at the bottom in a slav squat lmfao
>>
>>40077044
I'm just shitposting m8, I knew what he was goin for :^)
>>
mobility? There is no reason for somebody who does not compete in powerlifting or bodybuilding, or plays a sport to squat that deep. The depths required to satisfy the autists on this board would be hard to find even with some actual athletes. If you go to the gym to look good there is absolutely no reason you need to reach the flexibility to squat atg. Don't let autists tell you wrong and let you risk an injury for the sake of their 4chan ego. You don't even need squats to have good looking legs, sure they're good, but there isn't one way of doing anything
>>
>>40077006
>lifts like a dyel
>looks like a dyel

it checks out
>>
>>40077080
Carry on, /fit/izen
>>
>>40077014

Practice with no weight, then the bar, and then with weight on it.

Pause when you're not doing working sets.
>>
File: 1484339874881.jpg (82KB, 497x591px) Image search: [Google]
1484339874881.jpg
82KB, 497x591px
>>40077083
>You don't even need squats to have good looking legs
I never saw somebody with nice legs who doesn't squat.
Does Scooby1961 have nice legs? Checkmate leglet.
>>
File: 1468577808179.jpg (63KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
1468577808179.jpg
63KB, 700x700px
>tfw when this is me at the gym.
S-Sorry. I'll do it the proper way from now on.
>>
>>40075499
stay tuned
>>
>>40077190
>Click here
>"From 1992-1997, the top physique in the world didn’t back squat"

https://criticalmas.com/2013/12/dorian-yates-squatting/
>>
>>40075191
Started SL and squatting atg a month ago, just hit 1 pl8 atg. Feels good. Favorite thing is seeing people snicker at my low weight and then seeing them go 1/4 down with like 3 pl8s. Fucking normies.
>>
>>40077263
>dorian yates
Easy to relate to.
>>
>>40075191

Partial motions allow you to train heavier than you can squat full ROM and allow you to better hit the muscles that otherwise wouldn't be getting as good of a workout. Also good for your tendons and joints to get used to the heavier weight, and they will get thicker faster than if you kept doing low weight. Then there's the psychological benefit of getting used to being under more weight so it won't feel as heavy when you try to full squat it. Once you've been lifting longer than 6 months hopefully you grow out of being a pretentious dickhead and realize that while some people do quarter reps and think they're hot shit, there are in fact legitimate reasons to do those things.
>>
>>40075974
Post pic faggot
>>
>>40076843
high bar has less carry-over to deadlifts, so you might lose out on some progress there.
>>
My squat technique is pretty shitty, cant go down, will try low bar, maybe this will do it.
Knees hurt instant if i go too low.
>>
File: front-high-low.jpg (27KB, 689x397px) Image search: [Google]
front-high-low.jpg
27KB, 689x397px
>>40076927
you shouldnt atg low bar but you should if you can high bar
>>
>>40075455
Do you not squat in front of a mirror? You don't need a camera to know that you're being a little bitch.
>>
File: 1454479991822.gif (2MB, 290x260px) Image search: [Google]
1454479991822.gif
2MB, 290x260px
>>40075457
>There are only two reasons for a normie to train the squat:
>>Streatch Reflex
>>Range of motion
>>
>>40075211
Did 295lbs for 3x5 yesterday, below parallel
>>
>>40076589
Outside the gym, in real life or in sports, you might be in a position where you're below parallels and you should have the ability to deal with that.
You could easily end up in a position like this in wrestling/football/rugby/intense contact sports etc.
Fuck, man, I don't know a tree could fall on you, forcing you into the ATG position and you gotta squat it to not get crushed.
Wanna have the strength to deal with it if it happens.
>>
They like their nees
>>
>>40080271
Correctly squatting below parallel does not cause problems for a healthy knee. But quarter-squatting a weight that you can't actually handle might.
>>
>>40075191
I go as low as I can but I can't squat ATG without weights ether. With weights I squat below parallel but not ATG
>>
>>40076451
>Right because I said the various depths of squats have different results
The only different results being the amount of work your muscles are actually doing.
Anyone who wants to get big and strong has absolutelt no reason to squat above at least parallel. Anything else is just inefficient, not to mention bad for the knees
>>
>>40080271
squatting above parallel wrecks your knees m80, especially if you're progressively overloading to bullshit weight that you can hardly unrack. getting below parallel briefly takes tension off the patellar tendon and reduces compressional force through the joint.

the more you know.
>>
Been squatting ATG since my first day. Is this knee issue really that prominent in most people or is it just an outcome of squatting parallel with heavy weight? Or is it a meme?
>>
>>40080505
It might be prominent in people who squat with bad form. Knees caving in and shit.
>>
>>40076130
pretty much same thing, and most likely why most people don't

flexibility issues in ankles or legs or actual joint issues.

mine aren't the greatest yet but im at least hitting parallel now thanks to stretching and warm ups
>>
File: Screenshot_20170120-081639.png (657KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170120-081639.png
657KB, 1440x2560px
>>40076058
I think that the author isn't qualified to talk on the subject.
>>
>>40075212

The people spending 1o minutes loading and unloading the leg press trigger me to untold levels
>>
>>40075474
This happens to me, even with bodyweight squats. Hurts a little at 1+ pl8
>>
>>40075191
I physically can't do figure 2.

I can only do figure 1 for reps
>>
If i'm up to 147.5kg parallel what weight would you say i should be able to do atg?
>>
>>40081283
You probably can if you fix your form. Feet should be shoulder-width apart, pointed out a little (30-45 degrees I think), shove your knees out so they're in line with your feet, and don't try to keep you torso vertical. It should get closer to horizontal as you go down. If you're losing your balance as you go lower, the problem is likely the torso staying closer to vertical.
>>
>>40075952
I have the exact same thing! When I warm up with bw squats or the bar or babby weight I feel this sharp pain in my left knee but the moment I start adding some weight to the bar I don't feel it any more. What the fuck is going on..?

It's been like this for as long as I can remember
>>
>>40081348
I can only go just above paralell before i tip over.

if I hold onto a door frame and go as low as I can my everything burns
>>
>>40082056
Did you try leaning your torso forward? If so, lean more. Unless you're falling forward, which I presume you're not. Should probably be pretty close to a 45 degree angle from the ground, like in the OP pic.
>>
I couldn't squat whatsoever because my hips were weak as fuck not to mention extremely tight. Regardless of weight, I'd be able to go down but felt like falling over and shooting pains in my groin area. Learned to stretch that shit out and squatting atg no problem now.

Vid related

https://youtu.be/FSSDLDhbacc
>>
>>40075191
If I squat 190lbs for reps ATG, what could I realistically expect to squat if I was only going to parallel? I used to only squat parallel, but started going lower when I realized I wasn't feeling it in as many muscle groups.
>>
>>40075191
What hurts knees more?
>>
>>40082213
why don't you try it and find out?
>>
tfw i squat exactly parallel
>>
>>40075712
IT DOESNT INCLUDE DATA FOR THE CLAIM YOU ARE TRYING TO MAKE
>>
>>40075191
Because I backsnapped my lumbar spine by not worshiping backsnapp gorrilla properly and now if I go below parallel I go numb in one leg.
>>
>>40082163
thx anon. will try this
>>
File: viper.jpg (138KB, 1075x1075px) Image search: [Google]
viper.jpg
138KB, 1075x1075px
>>40075242
>squatting ass to grass 120kg 12 reps for my final set
>about to put the plates back on the rack
>"ay bro, it's alright I got this"
>fat dude wearing a back belt and a tank top wobbles to the rack
>his hands stick out like he's got a rash under his armpits
>starts warming up with my 120 kgs
>does like 5 reps where he arches his back more than he bends his knees
>nudges his head up and winks at me like I was supposed to be impressed this is his warm up weights
>>
I began squatting ATG after 4 months of ego squatting with LP strength routine. Felt bad to go back to 1 1/2 pl8 but holy fuck everything from my ass to my calves is on fire after each rep and I feel like a beast even though I'm lifting babby weight.

T.hanks /fit/
>>
>>40077014
you need to go back man.
go from no weight to bar to small weights. and do a lot of stretching before you start lifting. you'll add weights pretty fast, don't worry

I went from needing like two inches under my heel to being able to ass to grass overhead squat barefoot in maybe 3 - 4 months
>>
>>40080789
I usually leave 2 or 3 45s on each side of the leg press, saves me a few moments. But ten minutes? Call that bitch out
>>
Are you guys talking about high bar half skwaats? I never see anyone do low bar, everyone does high bar with awful form they lean forward and dont hit depth.
>>
>>40082586
Germanfag here. We have to unload everything when we leave the station. Everything.
>>
It gets harder past the parallel and my knees are really smooth at bending now, they just drop and the difficulty is rising. On my last squat I went down to the fucking bottom and I couldn't get up - thank god for safety bar.
>>
I have a knee that crackles like rice crispies from parallel on, and my other knee had ACL reconstruction when they took one of my precious hamstring muscles. I did a year of SS so im all legs and very little arms, but now I have a limited selection of leg exercises due to my ACL knee sperging out whenever I do weighted squats. Halps?
>>
>>40080464
For fucks sake sports specific training is not always about being big and strong. Depending upon the end result wanted squat depth is variable.
>>
Who here /fuckedupknee/?
I can't even do a fucking bw squat without my right knee being a fag.
Well, at least I can deadlift.
>>
>>40083712
Left knee ACL reconstruction about 2 years ago that I was unable to finish PT for due to losing insurance..i tore my meniscus on it last year playing semipro football and with no insurance im stuck with a shit knee., and my other sounds like my knuckles cracking, shit sucks, good thing I got my thigh and calf gains in early
>>
>>40083670
And what exactly is the value of squatting above parallel?

Strength? Nope.

Speed? Nope.

Power (which is strength + speed)? Nope.

Size/aesthetics (a.k.a. hypertrophy)? Nope.
>>
All of you fucking idiots that have pain while squatting, whether you're squatting 1/4, ATG, heavy, light, low bar, high bar, etc. really need to just fucking stop.

Stop trying to work through the pain. At your fucking babby weights your squats should not be painful, ESPECIALLY not in your knees. Unless you are a serious competitor then there should be no reason your squats should be painful aside from the normal pain of exertion, and quite frankly, serious competitors do fuck up their shit anyway.

You are fucking yourselves over for the sake of impressing a chia pet breeders' forum.

Figure out how to actually squat without pain (whether it be more warm up, better mobility, not shitty form, going to actual physical therapy, etc), or just stop squatting. Yes, it is the end of the world if you don't squat, but at least you'll be facing gainpocalypse with both knees intact.
>>
>>40082607
Why? I never see anyone leg press less than 2pl8, and I typically see people leg pressing 3-5pl8. Why not just leave the damn plates that everyone use?
>>
>>40083734
Should've been >with her
>>
>>40084013
I was a Bernbro
>>
>>40083748
Numbers
>>
>>40083748

There's some studies out there suggesting that for certain forms of power output (mostly related to jumping, but some running as well) that squatting high actually has better carryover than breaking parallel.

Also high squatting is very frequently used by strength athletes for size and strength. It can't fully replace squatting to depth, especially for powerlifters, but it has uses.
>>
>>40075228
I thought I was going low and was already six weeks in StrongLifts. Recorded my lift one day and just realized how fucking stupid I looked. Stripped my progress from bar to 185lbs back to 90lbs to learn how to squat correctly and as low as possible.

One year later and Ive been told by people in the gym that my squat is the lowest and its damn impressive. My ass is 3 inches away from kissing the ground.
>>
Normie fags don't know what parallel is. Also, they initiate a squat by bending their knees unless taught otherwise...meaning that they feel a stretch in their calves and nothing else and think that's how low they can go. Also, depth is hard to judge in the mirror. Also, I hear way too often "top or bottom of the leg parallel to the ground bro? Both are parallel I hit parallel"

Fuck these retards. If you're gonna say you squat "___" of weight and try to dick measure, the objective standard should be competition depth, hip crease below knees.

I "lifted" for a year or two in hs, and after a year of squatting hit 315 to depth at 135. This was in a commercial gym where I saw legitimately one other guy squat to depth. If you don't see people squatting to depth, you're in the wrong gym. Sometimes I want to go back to a globo gym just so that I can catch everyone mirin the lifts at this skelly weight
>>
>>40083748

so much ignorance...like do you guys know ZERO fucking athletes?

what the fuck do you nerds do all day and night? just post on fucking 4chan?

you sound retarded, seriously.
>>
>>40075211
My legs are dyel and even I can squat lmao1pl8 and a bit fully ATG
>>
>>40075211
I squat 200kg below parallel m8, and have a few gymbros that can hit 3 pl8 or so with good depth. I guess it depends on your gym
>>
>>40083796
this

I've been lifting for 6 months, first 4 on some PT shitty program that had leg press instead of squats. Switched to squats 3 months in, started with the bar plus 10 kg (40kg in total). Always below parallel (thanks to that guy who were kind enough to explain to me how to squat on the very first day I tried them). After officially switching to SS last month my squat numbers at the moment are 75 kg 3x5. Never felt any pain, never felt any strain, always felt good.

I think one of the few reasons I was in the beginning afraid of going below parallel was failing the weight. Like, what if I couldn't get up? This was solved by properly adjusting the safety pins of the squat rack. Have failed several times since then and nothing bad has happened.

I've seen many people 1/4 squatting outside the squat rack. Unless you are experienced with failing your squat, then you should definitely not squat like this.
>>
>>40085777
>started with the bar plus 10 kg (40kg in total)
stopped reading there
>>
Ok so, I'm pretty new to lifting. when you go down to squat do you kind of use your momentum to bounce back up with zero pause at the bottom or do you kind of pause for a second then push up
>>
>>40077024
>>40082581
ddoes this shit actually fix it?

I legitimitely can't get low enogh without either leaning forward or feeling like my knees/hips are gonna blow out.
>>
>>40086057

It can, assuming the issue stems from a lack of ankle mobility. Other problems won't benefit from it.
>>
>>40085777
This is my biggest issue, i'm afraid of dropping or failing and JUSTing myself. I'm insanely inflexible and i lean forward a lot on top of that.

Are you genuinely doing your gainz a disservice by not squatting?
>>
>>40086071
If i had to guess it's hips or ankles.

I have an issue with my starting position with deads too. I went from former wow playing fatty who never moved to slowly going beyond dyel level but these 2 are constantly a hassle for me no matter what every week.
>>
>>40086073

In many cases, yes. It's a hard movement to replace (in large part because most of the options for replacing it will hit the same issues with mobility).
>>
>>40075218
This. Most buttwink isn't as bad as people say. Too much is bad, but a little is natural. Still go as low as you can, just focus on tightness and loading those hips.
>>
>>40075474
>>40075952
Seriously, play with your feet position more. Everybody is different, find what is smoothest and strongest for you.

Also, keep those knees out. KEEP. This means don't buckle and then turn them out again. Especially at the bottom. Don't go so low you're losing tension, this will hurt your knees as well.
>>
So how do I translate leg press gains to squat gains?
I can rep out a solid 3x5 of 10pl8 on leg press, but I can only orm 3pl8 squat
Is it my hamstrings I need to work on?
>>
>>40086213

They basically don't translate and a big part of that is how little relation the amount of weight on a leg press can have to the actual resistance involved.

It's far more likely to be an issue in the torso than the hamstrings, assuming there's an actual strength disparity rather than just weight.
>>
>>40075455
You amerifags dont have mirrors in your gyms?
>>
>>40086376

Trying to use a mirror to judge depth while squatting is not a great idea.
>>
>>40075476
>Flexing your knee past 110 degrees
The fuck are you talking about? Only contortionists do that, and your joint would fucking shatter if you do that while squatting.
>>
>>40075191
Due to back problems I can only front squat 115 just at parallel :^)

[spoiler]I fucking miss skwats, lads[/spoiler]
>>
>>40086380
> Squat in front of a mirror
> Look at your knees
> Look at your ass
> if ( ass lower than knees) lift

WTF
>>
>>40086407

1. You're not supposed to look down when squatting, as it pitches you forward.

2. You won't get a decent idea of where parallel actually is because you're looking at an angle and from the front. You can't see shit for depth from a front view even if you're at the right height (which is why competitions call it from the side).

3. That's not the definition of parallel in the first place.
>>
>>40082248
>What hurts knees more?
see
>>40075432

tl;dr version:

everything is the same
>>
File: fresh_swag.png (430KB, 352x515px) Image search: [Google]
fresh_swag.png
430KB, 352x515px
>>40075683

>just warm up properly

That's not how bursitis works, famalamalam
>>
>>40086423
1. Move your eyeballs, not you head
2. You are not looking from high because you are literally squatting
3. If you started with an obtuse angle with your calves and finishes with an acute angle, you crossed the parallel. It's called mathematics.
>>
>>40075211
Saw a dude squatting 2.5pl8 today, I thought "good for you"

Upon closer inspection he was doing 1/4rom reps and using a decline bench as a sort of modified box squat thing.

Either he had bad knees which means he should deload and squat deeper (maybe not squat at all??) and lighter or he is simply a moron
>>
Went from 225 for reps at parallel to 200 for reps ass to grass. I can firmly say that on atg, my glutes are definitely on the path to being for the sloots.
>>
>>40077014
I have short legs and have been going ATG with my low bar back squats since day one.
>>
>>40083748

I feel badly for you I really do. I made a simple comment that simply states all squat depths have a place in sports specific training. I am right on this, but I really did not want to get into a long conversation about this.

I don't really give a fuck if you agree with me or not, but your ignorance is amazing.
>>
File: 1474469413367.jpg (36KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
1474469413367.jpg
36KB, 720x720px
>>40075211
Friendly reminder that 4chan is a website where people DEEP into a hobby go to discuss it.

>Young men who just watched DBZ as a kid don’t go to /a/
>Married women who play Farmville don’t go to /v/
>College girls who just use their Macbooks for Facebook and Youtube don’t go to /g/
>And your run-of-the-mill cardio bunnies and New Years Resolutioners don’t come here to /fit/

If you’re here on /fit/, you’re more into fitness culture than the average joe who once saw a picture of a squat and thinks unlocking his knees slightly with 300 lbs on his shoulders counts.

Not saying everyone on here is a top-tier lifter. But if you even lurk, you know that a proper squat is crazy deep. Way deeper than most people feel like going when they start the descent.
>>
>>40075191
I can do 2plates ass to the floor asian squat style, feels amazing on my quads, normal shoes with a flat bottom on flat floor.
>>
Squatting below parallel after a deload fixed my hamstring and hip flexor tightness.
>>
File: ThisIsTerrible.gif (1MB, 500x357px) Image search: [Google]
ThisIsTerrible.gif
1MB, 500x357px
>>40080768
oh.
>>
I get a knife stabbing into my knees if I stop at parallel. However squatting ATG is completely fine.
>>
Box squat are the best squats for athletes.
>>
>>40089124
why
>>
>>40075228
This pretty much. Only had a smith machine the first 4 years (idk why the fuck I did not quit that gym) and I always thought my form was really good, because most faggots there just had so fucked up form that even my parallel-front-back-smith-squats looked good compared to them. After that I just kept doing squats like I was used to, which was about parallel. When I realized my form was utter shit, my hamstrings, ankles and hipflexors were already too fucking tight to fix my form easily. That's why I'm back to only a 2pl8 with okayish form.

And that's how you end up squating like a faggot.
>>
>>40086057

Fixed it for me. couldn't get near parallel before, now I can finally ATG
>>
>>40089136
You have to generate all the power coming out as opposed to people just bouncing out of the bottom position
>>
File: 1458159490760.png (230KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1458159490760.png
230KB, 640x360px
>>40089235
>implying that stretch reflex is a meme
>promoting box squats as a main squatting movement
>>
>>40089235
you're not supposed to bounce out in either atg or parallels either.
>>
>>40089235
just incorporate pause squats into your training then if that's your reasoning.
>>
>>40089244
Fuck if I know, I'm not the same anon that originally suggested them
>>40089246
I know that, I'm just repeating what I've read and have been told
>>
>>40075211
>tfw I can do 155 lbs ATG

Did I make it?
>>
>>40081735
You're probably not paying enough attention to your form since it's light enough to just go hrough the motions
>>
>>40082056
Ever tried front squat?
>>
>>40082520
should have just said,"dude, you're gonna snap your shit up with that form."
>>
>>40075211
I'm not even two weeks in and just squatted more than lmao1pl8 atg
>>
File: 1482200107076.jpg (22KB, 265x259px) Image search: [Google]
1482200107076.jpg
22KB, 265x259px
>>40082520
>squatting
>12 reps
Thread posts: 195
Thread images: 25

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.