[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright /fit/, is it better to have a routine that splits bodyparts,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: baLd.png (173KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
baLd.png
173KB, 480x480px
Alright /fit/, is it better to have a routine that splits bodyparts, such as a chest day, back day, etc. or train full body as an intermediate lifter? As a beginner? For example, will gains be better and would it be more time efficient to have a days dedicated chest, legs, and back or would it something that trains multiple lifts a day yield better results, such as SS or a 5x5?

I get a ton of advice irl to split muscles into dedicated days to hit them harder without fear of frying my CNS or various other reasons, but I see a lot of full body workouts going through the sticky
>>
It really depends on your goals, senpai.

If you just intend to be strong, do compound heavy full body routines. If you want to be mired by the earth people, do a high volume BB split.
>>
>>40062099
I've got a couple questions that kind of pertain to this thread as a newfag
>why do so many full body routines have you squat and deadlift on the same day?
I had always been told that this should be generally avoided, I saw this on both SS and Madcow 5x5

>do these routines typically include accessories?
I've only really seen the infographs that float around and for a few it seems like you only show up for a couple lifts and leave. Are these simply watered down from the actually routine?
>>
>>40062099
As a beginner you should be doing full body specifically because of the CNS development. Being untrained, you do not have the coordination, proprioception, and functional strength levels to gain the best benefit from split routines. Further, as a beginner, you will be able to recover quicker from taxing your muscles and CNS since they are far from the growth limits that your genetics will allow, and full-body routines take advantage of this by using linear weight progression on each day.

>>40062395
The squat and deadlift on the same day is largely a beginner thing. Again, being so untrained, you're not going to burn yourself out if you were pulling heavier weights (unless you're not recovering properly by eating and sleeping enough). Eventually you will need to either split the two lifts up on different days, or start to work with periodization (light squat, heavy dead days and vice versa), but you're several months from that if you're asking this question.

Some accessories are fine, provided they don't make up a ridiculous amount of volume in your routine. Rip says do the damn curls if you really want to. But if you're lifting like you're supposed to and doing the chinups/dips that you should be doing on SS in the first place, you'll develop a decent body and will likely be too tired to do 20 sets of curls and crunches a day
>>
>>40062484
How does this apply to intermediate lifters? At what point would one even be considered intermediate?
>>
>>40062757
There's a calc somewhwre (forgot link) but a good rule of thumb is bench your bodyweight, 1.5x squat your body weight, and somewhere above 3pl8 for diddlies
>>
>>40062757
>At what point would one even be considered intermediate
When you can't make progress every workout (linear progression) anymore. I'm still progressing linearly and my last workout involved squatting 290lbs for 3x5, and I'm not genetically gifted or anything. I've heard of people getting up to 365lbs for 3x5 on SS. If you're a young adult male and stall in the low 200s, I'd consider the possibility that you're not eating enough.
>>
File: 91l1+K3sK1L.jpg (788KB, 1956x2560px) Image search: [Google]
91l1+K3sK1L.jpg
788KB, 1956x2560px
I remember a couple of years ago my gym trainer gave me a PPL routine even though I told him I could only go to the gym every other day. I stopped going completely after 1 month because it was a waste of time and felt like nothing was happening

read SS, do SS for a year.

then do what ever the fuck you want to do (it literally doesn't matter).
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.