[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Walking and jogging in intervals a reasonable way to lose weight?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: jogaround.png (1MB, 1140x650px) Image search: [Google]
jogaround.png
1MB, 1140x650px
Walking and jogging in intervals a reasonable way to lose weight?
I'm starting my weightloss 'journey', my GP has told me I can't do weights or anything to do with lifting thanks to back and wrist/ankle injuries.
First day walking/jogging and I got further then I had expected, huge strain on my ankles (due to injury) but I pushed on, obviously any exercise is better than no exercise but is it a realistic way to lose weight somewhat quickly?
According to my 'calorie burner' app, I lost 300 calories in what I did today but I don't believe it, sounds too easy and too high for the amount I did.

I aim is to lose 33lbs my May, I'm eating on a calorie deficit. I understand shakes aren't popular but they are good because at work I'm not allowed to eat, and my breaks aren't at normal times which means I'd be hungry throughout the day.

Sorry for the ramble, I'm new to this stuff.
>>
>>39990128
Sounds like you mostly know what you're doing. Try incorporating weight lifting if you can. Don't "work through the pain" because you will just end up on a one way bus to Snapcity.
>>
>>39990128
Unless you are a triathlete, or in the top 30% of a sport, you are not going to lose weight from exercising. Every mile you run or walk is about 100 calories. So just realize that one binge can offset a week worth of running/walking.

Also, don't be an idiot and injure yourself. Swim or ride a bike if you have an ankle injury.
>>
>>39990191
>>39990209
>>39990209
Are you telling me not to exercise at all? Sounds weird.
As I was jogging the impact is what was hurting, they dont hurt now.

Is it realistic to think I could lose 33 eating at 1200?
>>
Lol jogging is like the most strenous, high-impact exercise for your lower legs/feet.
>>
>>39990128
I presume you have read the sticky? Calories in and calories out?

Loosing weight shouldn't be just a diet, it should be a bi product of your new training program. Make a training and diet program for the next year(!) and the weight loss will be one of the great results you will see.

If you are new to this whole thing, I suggest maybe hiring someone to help you with the program. It can be really hard to do everything yourself.
>>
>>39990295
Also you should do a combination of starting strength and cardio. Start at the bottom and work your way up into the program. You will see results within the first month if you stick to it.
>>
>>39990257
I am not saying don't exercise, but true weight loss is going to come from your diet. Let's assume you run 3 miles a day, 7 days a week, that is 2100 calories or a single pizza. If you lapse on your diet for one day, you would have gained back all the calories you lost from running.

It isn't supposed to hurt while you're running. You're fat and have an injury. Don't order do it by running too much being you are all gun-ho about being fit now.

Sure you can lose 33 pounds by eating 1200 a day. How much do you weigh now? How are you tracking how much you eat?
>>
>>39990320
Yes Im tracking how much I eat via calorie counter. I weigh around 152lbs. Dont have the $ to hire someone, otherwise Id join a gym. 1 gym within a 2hour drive is stupid expensive
>>
>>39990375
gender and height?
>>
>>39990383
Girl, 5'1-5'2. Bmi is obese
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-01-12-13-46-56.png (249KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-01-12-13-46-56.png
249KB, 1080x1920px
>>39990128

Depending on how long you ran for, its prolly accurate, here's my fitbit stats, they seem to be legit because I'm losing weight and body fat on the fitbit meal plan helper (takes into account calories burned when telling you how much you can eat etc.
>>
>>39990487
It was a bit over half an hour. I might buy a fitbit
>>
bump please :/
>>
>>39990802

Your questions have been answered my man. Diet is 90% of weight loss, if you get that in order you can't fail. Exercise just allows you to eat slightly more a day but if your diet is trash you won't lose anything.
>>
>>39990824
So its achievable? Family and friends enjoy belittling my attempt at bettering myself.
>>
>>39990845

33 pounds by may? Depends on how much deficit you are willing to go for per day. If you go walking for an hour every day (keep a brisk pace but no need to fuck your ankles).

Generally the harshest most diets will allow you to go is 2 pounds a week (around a 1000 calorie deficit a day). So if you stick to that you will lose enough by the end of may.
>>
I grew up a fat fuck. 10 years ago I lost 150lbs in about 9 months. I did HIIT, High Intensity Interval Training. A 15 minute running exercise doing intervals of varying intensity. Cleaned my diet up gradually. Running on grass or sand is preferred it will reduce stress on your joints. However you're starting with fucked joints. So I'd recommend biking or swimming. Getting a membership at the y and swimming is what I would do.

I'm back in the situation I was 10 years ago. I got depressed and fat again. Instead of running I'm going to start swimming. On top of my fatness I have all the muscle mass I built and am heavy as fuck. Started walking in July and lost 50lbs. Hit a plateau and am going to start swimming.
>>
>>39990128
Cals in cals out jesus fucking christ how fucking hard is that?

Moving just helps with cals out.
>>
>>39990128
its very simple. calories in, calories out.

watch your mouth and you lose weight by doing nothing. its what most normal women do to get skinny.

spend a few hours on elipicals if you want to get into running, gotta build up that leg strength first.

and yeah, like most of /fit/ is saying, you lose weight by eating less. thats it. how you eat less is up to you, but thats really most of losing weight.

gaining muscle however is a different story.
>>
>>39990128
The elliptical and aerobike are your friends. Easy on the joints. Get in a 30 to 40 mins of those and start losing weight. Remember that you can build muscle strength in 2 weeks but your tendons and bones may tale 6 weeks to adapt. After a few weeks of conditioning, Go to a dedicated running store and ask to hav e your walk and jog analyzed so you can get proper shoes. Then, start walking and as you lose even more weight start light jogs. Don't ignore knee pain, dont depend on advil to fight the pain. If you need to take a week off of jogging and go tread water in a pool, do it.

Getting to a weight where you can comfortably do a 2 mile jog or walk a 6 mile trail is really great. No matter how you look, you will feel so much better. Proud of you for taking your GPs recs seriously.
>>
>>39991464
Just saw that you don't have a gym. There are cheap cardio only gyms everywhere, but, you can also just do tabata style aerobics stuff on youtube.
>>
>>39990128
>I aim is to lose 33lbs my May, I'm eating on a calorie deficit.

33lbs by May is completely feasible. But as other have stated here, exercise wont help very much. Unless you work as a lumberjack or something.

>I understand shakes aren't popular but they are good because at work I'm not allowed to eat, and my breaks aren't at normal times which means I'd be hungry throughout the day.

Then intermittent fasting is what you should aim at. Meaning you're only allowed to eat in a specific window each day. Don't worry about hunger, just stick to it for a couple of weeks, and you won't be noticing it anymore when your body is adapted to the new feeding regiment. Also, try combining it with a low carb diet (not zero carb). Do this, and you'll probably lose at least 40 lbs by May
>>
>>39990128
PT here. What is the nature of the wrist and ankle injuries?

I ask because weight training is one of the best treatments for those joints provided that the injury is not from resistance-based overuse.
>>
>>39991379
>its very simple. calories in, calories out.

except this isnt actually backed up by unfalsifiable science.

OP, watch this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDneyrETR2o&t=1s
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.