[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How much does /genetics/ actually matter? I always see people

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: Suspicious.jpg (65KB, 492x724px) Image search: [Google]
Suspicious.jpg
65KB, 492x724px
How much does /genetics/ actually matter? I always see people get mad when it's brought up. Is it because people only use that as an excuse?

Skellingtons are accepted as a thing, but that seems to be attributed to a "naturally healthy" lifestyle. /r9k/ shows that's really not always the case. Especially those here who get mad that no matter what they do or eat, they just can't keep any form of muscle or fat.

Does the endo/endo/ectomorph plan come under scrutiny as well since it's a simplified version of genetics, or is it more accepted with a few rolling eyes?
>>
>>39831711
>endo/endo/ectomorph plan come under scrutiny as well
It's completely, categorically rejected my anyone with a brain in their skull.

Genetics matter, but are a piss poor excuse.
>>
People who complain about eating alot/little and don't see results probably also believe that a calorie is a calorie, no matter where it's from.

The type of food you eat greatly impacts your gains.
>>
>>39831720
So is there only one natural body type, with everything else being an external factor? Is this not related to genetic traits like health problems and height?

I've been looking at the Great Depression and how Americans viewed food after that. I've also tried looking at certain European ethnic groups and their standard body sizes and diets. Especially the British, Scottish, and Irish since most Americans claim they have X amount of family from those groups.
>>
>>39831711
genetics does play a part, but i attribute it mostly to the mind. Discipline and self-awareness are things that many obese and lazy people lack. Everyone has a body that can change with a good diet and workout regime, but it's those that have discipline and self-awareness that actually embrace these things.
>>
>>39831899
If that's the case, I haven't seen much be attributed to mindset. Though I wager that matters much more because there are cases of 600+ people cutting down to a third of their weight.

I've seen that "fat genes" are being discovered to be a thing, which may indeed be real because being fat in a cold country is a pure benefit. But I've seen little discussion regarding it or even accepting it as a possible variable.

I've also looked around body building forums and it seems like they have memes about genetics because to reach certain levels you're basically reliant on your genes. Here, it seems like the opposite is preferred since most equate genes to excuses.
>>
I'm currently reading something on dietrebel saying that lifestyle>genes, which is something obvious to say but I only manage to find blanket statements on the "you can do anything" meme.

Are there any papers or studies that focus on the effect of genetics and physical shape? Other than eugenics and freakshows.
>>
>>39831711
http://strengtheory.com/genetics/

It's kind of bleak, but also doesn't matter for YOU, because you can't change it. Just do your work and be glad you're not retarded or something.
>>
>>39832067
Thanks for that. #2 is true because the short time I had a physical therapist and coach, he talked about how my muscles were growing much thicker than normal. But I may also face tendon issues as I grow older since they're much tighter and prone to injury...which has already happened once since after shift the only part of me that's sore are my ankles.

That's why I'm also curious about the different body types and genetics. I have a friend who walks everywhere but his calves don't exist and he's around 170 or something. His muscles just don't exist, nor does he seem to really gain weight despite eating nothing but fast food and snacks.

Are there any other sources to talk about it without trying to push some narrative?
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.