[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are the "High reps low weight for hypertrophy" and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

Are the "High reps low weight for hypertrophy" and the "Low reps high weight for strength" rules just complete bullshit memes?

I was stalling on 220 bench 1RM for months. I'd do several sets of 3-5 reps of 180-210 to try to build up strength, but I never got stronger. 220 was my plateau no matter how hard I pushed myself.

It was only after doing sets of 15+ reps of 170 that I was able to push past 220 1RM. Do some people just respond better to high volume for strength or something? Have I just been lied to?
>>
>>39800641
>Do some people just respond better to high volume for strength or something?
Most likely, yes. Still, there could be several reasons for your BP stalling like that, so attributing the breakthrough to just doing high volume might be misguided.
>>
It's all bullshit. If you progress in weight no matter what the reps you will get stronger. Size is directly related to strength.
>>
>>39800641
did you make any other changes to your routine at all besides the rep scheme on bench?
>>
Novel stimulus = large adaptation
>>
>>39800843
Nah just the volume. One thing I could mention is that I started doing weighted pull ups instead of just pullups and my lats have gotten a lot bigger, but that's the only significant change I can think of. Maybe my bigger lats help stabilize my bench?
>>
>>39800641
Congratulatins, Anon. You just figured out one of the golden rules of weight training: what 'works' differs from person to person. I had exactly the same problem, got stuck on 2pl8. After a while I switched to volume training and did 50 reps of 1pl8 bench press in as few sets as possible. After about a month of this (and eating right, which is also key) I tested my 1rm again and could bench lmao 2.25pl8 for 2 quality reps.
>>
>>39800641
I'm in a similar (albeit weaker) spot as you.

BP stalling at 1RM of 200, been fiddling around for months with 3-5 sets of 165-175 by 5 warming up trying to push beyond to no avail.

Your post reminded my of German Volume Training, so maybe I'll try that and see how it goes for a while. 10x10 at 60% of my BP 1RM is about 115.

Would GVT be useful for a single stalling muscle group, or should a person commit to a full GVT program?
>>
>>39801055
OP here. Can't answer your question about GVT, but I will say that another thing that helped me a lot when switching to higher reps was to go slow, controller, and really SQUEEZE the pecs at the top of the movement. When you're done you;ll have a huge chest pump and you'll feel like you've really worked them.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.