[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Skinny lanklet here I've recently started lifting. I want

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: thai-boxing-bangkok-2.jpg (101KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
thai-boxing-bangkok-2.jpg
101KB, 500x375px
Skinny lanklet here

I've recently started lifting. I want to start doing martial arts (Muay Thai) in the new year. How can I prepare myself for Muay Thai training and what can I expect?
>>
>>39711789
all preparation you need is making sure the gym you are going is good

also if you are super inflexible you should start flexing

t. nak muay
>>
start doing cardio eh
>>
>>39711831
What he said, expect alot of cardio. I was not prepared for the amount of cardio I was going to do when I first started Muay Thai. I felt like I was gonna pass out lol
>>
>>39711823
this
>>39711831
this
>>39711921
and that
>>
File: 1476637869320.gif (2MB, 354x201px) Image search: [Google]
1476637869320.gif
2MB, 354x201px
Definitely start working on your cardio. Steady and HIIT, also do some jump rope and work on your foot work. Start shadow boxing (different than boxing shadow boxing you want full range on all punches and kicks)

Yeah do cardio so you dont look like a dick noob burning out early
>>
>>39711987
don't tell him to shadowbox when he doesn't even know the basic stance

it just develops bad habits early and your instructor will be facepalming because he has to wash them away

doing cardio doesn't hurt, but is in no sense required. Maybe if he goes to a small gym and he will instantly be training with more advanced guys not burning out fast is a good idea.
When I started the class was filled with people who haven't ran once in the last 5 years.
>>
You're gonna burn out the first day from all the cardio but that's how it is and you'll get better over time. Highly recommend you stretch and work on flexibility beforehand to minimize the chances of injury. Last thing you'll want is a damaged acl like mine.
>>
OP here. Thanks for the replies

The gym I plan going to is well equipped and has a good reputation, lots of their fighters compete nationally etc. They have beginner classes which is obviously where I will start.

I had heard the cardio is intense which I was worried about but I know the only way to improve is by doing it. I just didn't want to be on my arse and gassing within minutes of my first class if I can help it.

I was only going to do one class a week as I am trying to bulk up and don't want to overdo the cardio too much.
>>
>>39712122
If you're trying to bulk.. I got bad news for you
>>
>>39712122
Just make sure you eat a ton. You'll be hungry. Your first classes will be heavy on technical skill, and it's okay to not push yourself to gasping every spar. Don't over think it man. You're learning a skill, not competiting. Try to be a good student and don't be afraid to ask questions or look silly. It doesn't feel like a natural way to move so you'll stumble but that's normal. Cardio won't kill your gains, so practice your techniques from class after lifting.
>>
>>39711921
>>39711831
Just to add to how important cardio is, Muay Thai fighters in thailand run 10 miles to warm up as a matter of course. That's not even "going for a run", that's just to get ready to train that day.
>>
>>39712122
>wants to bulk up while burning 2,000 calories in a training session

I got some bad news for you.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.