[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

sup /fit/ I've recently started planking. Why is it that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: planking-exercise.jpg (12KB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
planking-exercise.jpg
12KB, 300x200px
sup /fit/

I've recently started planking. Why is it that every guide recommends you to initially do it for only 20 seconds, and why do I see people commenting "I can hardly do 40" on pages related to it? I'm a fat fuck, but 1 minute is about the time where I give up though I can stretch it a little further.

Am I doing something wrong or what the fuck is this?
>>
Planks aren't meant for fatties. You have to engage your erectors and frontal core for long periods of time. If you've got a bunch of lard hanging off the front of you you're fucking with the balance. Lose weight.
>>
>>39694779

>tfw did 90 seconds today
>>
>>39694779
Most likely you're doing it wrong. I did isometrics for a little while and the first month was me realizing my form was horrible. You need to learn how to engage your muscle groups like the first post says. If practiced correctly, you could learn to engage those muscle at any given moment.
>>
File: 20151109_231206.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20151109_231206.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
Me and a buddy used to do these years ago after our workouts in high school. Added 30 seconds NO MATTER WHAT every time, even if you thought you'd die. I got up to 15 minutes straight and wouldn't even get tired until the 12 minute mark. Pretty sure that heavily contributed to my fridge mode core. I still do it for 5 or 6 minutes every now and then. Shits effective.

This is me a month back into lifting after 18 months off. From 234 to 218 in the pic. Heavy call deficit doing its job.
>>
File: 20161107_182450.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20161107_182450.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
>>39696155
Before pic for reference.
>>
>>39694779
Do them for 60 seconds and add weight instead of time.
Remember to flex your glutes.
>>
>>39696155
Fuck man, I might try that 30 seconds no matter what. I think sometimes I crap out just out of laziness. It's not like I'm on the verge of collapse.
>>
>>39694779
>>39694779
If you've never exercised before and you find them easy, then you must be doing them wrong.
>>
>>39696261
Do it. You can ALWAYS go 1 more second. Always. If your will is strong you can do it. Playing sports and shit growing up gave me that mindset and it's true. Once you can do it for 4 minutes, you won't even be fatigued at 2.5. The endurance comes quick and it's truly a wicked core workout. If you can, get a buddy or someone to watch you do it and make sure you don't arch or dip your ass/back.
>>
>>39696331
Also, counting down from a clock is torture. I would always play the same songs and it was more of get through this song/to the next song type shit to distract me from going that long. Mental shit like that always worked for me
>>
>>39696331

Will kinda ends at a certain point though, When I first started doing planks by 1 minute my chest just gave up and sank, as in I COULDNT hold it up anymore despite willing myself entirely to do it.
>>
Your gym probably has one of those big inflatable balls. Prop your elbows up on it and plank. Roll the ball around with your elbows, side to side, front to back, circles, etc.
>>
>>39696362
Nah fuck that. You do it or you die right there on the spot...that's the mindset with all the shit we do here.be new to lifting and all of this so it could be a foreign thought process to you and that's ok, but it's gotta change and it will. When you're benching 235x8 and feel like shit on the second rep, you best go fucking zues mode and throw that shit up there or go die.

Planks hold this thought process way more than weights...isolating a bicep and burning out is a totally different thing than getting tired from planks and quitting.

If there was 50 million in cold cash waiting for you if you dud 2 minutes, I bet your fat ass you wouldn't gotten it done. You would've conserved energy in a way you didn't know could, zoned out such is important, something anything but I guarantee you could do it come hell out high water.
>>
Would've*

Phone pwns me
>>
>>39696405
there is a thing called overtraining you mog. you cant do failure reps everytime. the key is finding the sweet spot, where you know you tore the muscle and worked it adequately but didnt overdue it.

PR's are different, its fine if you want to do 5 reps of 225 if you've never done it and push your ass off, but don't constantly do that.
>>
It doesnt count when your bodyweight is resting on your lard
>>
>>39696457
I go to failure on nearly everything and always have. No one else does and that's probably why they max 225 on bench and I can do a set of 10 with 260 after 18 months of being sedentary.

No point in me lifting if I don't progressively push to always be stronger than I was last time. I gain at least 1 rep of whatever I'm doing 99% of the time I lift.

And LMFAO at bring over trained from doing planks. Jesus.

Post pics so I can see what I'll look like if I took your advice.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.