[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ok guys, here’s the gig My little brother is 13, almost 14.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: 460049757.jpg (17KB, 632x271px) Image search: [Google]
460049757.jpg
17KB, 632x271px
Ok guys, here’s the gig
My little brother is 13, almost 14. He plays lacrosse and he wants to keep going in high school. The thing is the kid is pretty small. Up until recently he was around 4’8” and maybe 75 pounds. Recently though he started growing a lot faster, he’s up to around 90lbs and probably close to 5’, if not closer to 5’4”
I’ve been wanting to get him into lifting for a long time, not just because he wants to keep playing but because I think it would really be good for him. He kind of gets bullied pretty often and I don’t like that, and I think it would help build some self-confidence. The other thing is that I wish that someone had pushed me to start lifting earlier, and I’d like to be that influence to him
The point of all this is, I want to know how I can start him off lifting. I was thinking I would just take him into the gym with me and teach him the basic movements, bench, squat, dead, press, and then teach him some DB stuff too. I’m a little worried he won’t be strong enough at first, but the gym we go to has the 25lbs ladies bar too, and I know he can manage that. Does this seem ok? I know he might not be able to progress like someone older or more developed, and that’s ok. Are there other things you guys would recommend? Come summer I think I’m going to have him do half GOMAD, since he’s smaller, too.
Tl;dr – OP’s little brother (14, DYEL skeleton) is going to start lifting soon, and I’m wondering if its ok to start him on BB movements and all that, knowing he won’t progress as fast and also some DB stuff, just basic training to get him started.
>>
>>39638366
do it, rip would approve
>>
I say do it, I would just watch over him for a year+ make sure he doesn't do something dumb.

Kids will be kids
>>
>>39638376
>>39638387
well, even with me being at school he'd still have both a coach and others. I'm the oldest of all 4 of us and us oldest 3 all lift, plus our school has a lifting class (the program you do in class is actually based off of starting strength) and the coach is phenomenal. One of the best football schools in the state and it starts with the lifting, gym has 12+ power racks, teach power clean from the start, its good shit.
I know hes gonna be a kid, but I figure lifting cant hurt the kid, as long as he isn't a retard. And with the coach and all 3 of us watching him he should be fine
>>
>>39638366
yeh man just supervise him,
but before all that u have to make him want to feel motivated to go to the gym,
so show off ur gains so he knows that with hard work and effort he can be strong as u,
dont intimidate him too much tho
>>
>>39638648
he already kind of wants to lift. he's been watching my brothers and I lift for years now and he's seen how we've gotten gains. I just hope I can get him to stick through the first 2 weeks or so, DOMS is a killer but after 2 weeks it gets a lot better, and I've never lifted with anyone who lifts for more than a month that doesnt stick with it
>>
>>39638366
Also, does SS seem like a good way for him to start? I think it should be, especially if he moves up weights every 2 sessions instead if he's having issues
>>
You've got the right idea. Have him learn the basic movements. Start unweighted for the squat because that can be tricky for a beginner. After that becomes natural add resistance. He might not progress as fast and might not see the same gains as someone older, but he defiantly will not see it that way. Starting strength might be good if he can manage to sleep enough, but the whole point of ss is to get good at barbell movements in a short amount of time. Many people start lifting much later in life so there's no rush. Lift with him, make it fun, be safe. He'll be less likely to hurt himself, and he'll be more confident knowing there's something in the world that he knows he's is good at. You are a good brother OP, keep it up.
>>
>>39638714
yeah man i remember my first ever leg workout made me a paraplegic for 14 whole days.
>>
>>39638366
>GOMAD

OP, you're a fucking retard. Kid is developing he needs real nutrients, not memes.
>>
>>39639016
he eats at home, and a lot, meat and potatoes, literally old fashioned cooking, my mom feeds that kid from the moment he wakes up
im talking about on top of his already pretty damn healthy diet
>>39638979
im not too worried about squats but thats a good point. if anything we can work body weight or have him start with the ladies bar or even something as simple as goblet squats, I'll keep that in mind though. and thanks man, I worry a lot that I fucked up with my brothers, so i always try to help them as much as I can
>>
>>39638387
He's fucking 14, not 8. He's prolly thinking about getting plastered and his dick sucked . Did you grow up in a church or home school?

OP, get him started on the lifts compounds and all that. Make sure to either max out or take measurements. He's growing fast and seeing gains even if most of them are from puberty will be a massive ego boost and make him stick to it. Also, teach him the basics of nutrition just so he can at least be aware of what gains are made of.

Godspeed anon.
>>
>>39638366
If he can't work the compound lifts just get him started with the essentials for body weight stuff.

Get him doing at least 100 push ups spread out through a day, and continually ramp it up until he can do it no problem (or until he can go bench). Same thing with squats, burpies, sit-ups etc etc.
>>
>>39639106
over my winter break im going to try to teach him the basics, get him interested and all that. Over the summer im going to try to teach him good nutrition, good habits, programming, that sort of thing. Way more in depth for sure
He's a smart kid, so he shouldnt have any issue figuring it all out. And with the gains I figure starting this early (especially since he just really hit his growth spurt) will just make gains come quick and easy and definitely keep him more motivated.
>>39639132
he's not done it for a few years now, but he did taekwondo for almost 5 years when he was younger. Can still take a punch to the stomach, do hundreds of situps and last I checked around 40-50 push ups in a row, the kid is just skin and bone though, he's lean enough that even though he doesnt even work out the kid has more should definition and abs than i do
that said i think the weakest lift for him to start will most likely be bench, I would say dips and push ups if he cant until he can?
>>
>>39639143
Yeah upper-body strength is the kinda slow developing. If he can do all that then he is starting from a really good place, and building on that will serve him well.

Obviously you know this, but make sure he understands how important proper technique is early on and he will make huge gains over the long term.

Good luck man, sounds like you are a good big bro
>>
>>39639164
any tips on how to drive home that technique is key? I know to tell him and I know to keep repeating it, and my brothers will too, but how do I really make him internalize it? or at least make it seem very important. Show him videos of people taking the express train to snap city?
>>
>>39639187
Yeah that'll definitely scare him haha. Just make sure to point out the benefits as well. It may be harder in the beginning but doing it the right way prevents injuries, prevents you from plateauing hard after noob gains, and is what is going to get you the best results.

He is going for performance right now, so it is going to be that much more important that he hits the right muscle groups, and develops equally across the board (which is what happens when you do it the right way!).
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.