[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone here plays rugby? I'm 23 yo, is it too late to train

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: rugby.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
rugby.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
Anyone here plays rugby?
I'm 23 yo, is it too late to train for rugby in a team?
>>
trained with the ABs once and joked about joining up, Dan Carter said there are plenty of late bloomers
>>
a professional team, yes probably.

Plenty of competitive amateur teams out there though, but will depend on how big rugby is in your location. (From the UK but toured around Europe and always found decent oppo)

I've been playing since I was 11, currently play for a social club as I like the balance between a decent standard of rugby and a having a good bunch of lads to go out with. We tend to pick up a few players each season who have never played before or who are returning after not playing since school or whatever. It doesn't take much to catch and throw a ball while running and the rest we can help coach and guide with.

Get in touch with a club, find out when they train and pop along. If your potential team mates aren't encouraging and helpful then its a poor reflection on the club and not you.
>>
It's not rugby but I've just recently taken up football, the American kind, at 25. It's obviously too late to make a professional career out of it but majority of the guys in the team seem to have started quite late.
>>
>>39621348
Just do it cunt

>>39621796

lol you're a pussy
>>
>>39621348
I was just talking to my uncle and he played amateur rugby until he was 60. So did a guy I used to work with.

I played as a teenager and fucking loved it at 23 you should be pretty OK but in the next couple of years your gonna find your skeleton alot more rigid and fragile than it used to be so just me mindful of that.

I just took up Ju Jitsu at 25 and have AC joint injury after 2 weeks! Still going all the way ofcourse.

Rugby has a much higher injury rate.
>>
Depends on how much you want to commit to it, I gave it a go about 6 months ago and just gave up a few weeks later as I kept picking up injuries which affected my weightlifting.

It's very difficult to learn rugby, I felt like I'd turned up to the party way too late and found that people were just getting frustrated (understandably) with having to explain constantly.

I thought I'd do well as I'm a leanish 96kg 5'11 competative weightlifter, but just being /fit/ isn't enough.
>>
>>39621348
Rugby is over rated. If you want a tough manly sport take up bjj or a martial art.

Less injuries (assuming you're not stupid enough to compete) and you gain some great skills in self-defense.
>>
unifag right here, found my uni has a Rugby men's club, I never turned back after joining. Though one thing that is probably going to happen more frequently when you're older are the injuries sustained from the sport.

And you do get pretty gay with your rugby mates in some cases, n-no homo
>>
>>39621348
>Anyone here plays rugby?
Do it up man. Started playing when I was 21 and I am 23 now. Love the sport and the social aspect is hard to beat, lots of fun guys. Depending on your position the mental side is the hardest thing to pick up. I am in pretty good shape and a good sized back, but the mental part of the game I am weak as fuck. Takes some time to learn the rules and get a "rugby mind" but it'll come
>>
>>39621348

23 here, I have been playing rugby for 16 years, including a two years gap between 18 yo and 20 yo because of a back injury. Some friends of mine are turning pro at the moment (French Top 14, Stade Français), so I think I have a good point of view on what you can expect from that sport.

I saw many people start rugby at 20/21 yo, especially since I arrived in a new school and you have to pick up a sport so many guys try new stuff. There is always a position for less technical players (you'll probably start forward) as long as you can keep up physically. Here is a list of the pros and cons of starting rugby at your age :

Pros :
- You get to play rugby
- New social circle
- Rugby players are usually awesome guys
- People who keep on playing in their twenties onwards always have at least a bit of passion + motivation, which is motivating for yourself!
- Sets up a discipline (I currently play twice a week + week end game once every two weeks, which I love)
- Rugby also gave me motivation to keep up with the fitness! You want to be stronger and faster on the field = motivation to work out.
- I play forward (back row or 8), and the physical engagement is so stimulating.

Cons :
- Rules and mindset take a long time to assimilate
- Some guy said it perfectly earlier : "If your potential team mates aren't encouraging and helpful then its a poor reflection on the club and not you."
- Requires some high level of involvement (some weeks my life rotates around rugby, which is cool for me since I love it but yeah it will certainly not last forever.
- High injury risk (I wasn't too affected apart from a fissured vertebrae at the end of high school)

Anyway OP, go ahead and enjoy fun times with your team mates! I recommend joining an amateur club for a training session, maybe if a friend of yours plays rugby you can ask to participate to a session, then you'll see very quickly what your level is and the pleasure you are taking on the field.
>>
Do it, OP. It's a great game and there are usually clubs always welcoming new players. There are clubs out there for casual players who are more interested in drinking and more serious teams for the serious athletes.
>>
I'm planning on playing rugby next year at my college. I know cardio is a really important, but how strong are most college/club players?
>>
>>39623274
Which division?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.