[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it normal for nurses and resident doctors to act really slow

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_1980.jpg (758KB, 1348x899px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1980.jpg
758KB, 1348x899px
Is it normal for nurses and resident doctors to act really slow when a patient is in pain?

>clogged nose, brewthing in mouth
>god awful headache
>call nurse and ask for relief
>nurse says she can't do anything without a doctor's approval; calls resident doctor under my physician
>1 hour later, no news, still in pain
>calls nurse again
>tells me the resident doctors haven't gotten hold of my physician yet

WTF? I could just pop some pain killers na decongestants but they won't let me.
>>
They are suspicious of anyone in pain because so many people try to just get pain meds to get high
>>
sinus congestion is extremely low on the priority list for a resident/attending MD

t. 3rd year med student
>>
>falling for the doctor meme
>>
>>39599233
Sometimes the doc isn't even at the hospital. And everyone has a lot of patients, so usually unless you're having some life threatening symptoms they are gonna take a while to get you pain meds because they have to prioritize.
But it's likely the doc is doing something else and isn't answering his phone. Not sure why the resident can't hook you up, maybe he's too new.
What kind of unit were you in
>>
blow your nose shit head
>>
>>39599233
Unless you're in critical condition the doctor won't prioritize a change in your medications. If you're lucky the ward will have guidelines the nurses can follow to give non prescription painkillers without doctor approval like where I work. When I interned at the post op ward the nurses were allowed to administer opiates intravenously without restriction or doctor approval - mostly because limiting post op pain is extremely important.

My experience is that unless you're having acute onset chest pain or acute onset abdominal pain from right side of your belly then the doctor won't really prioritize.

t. Nurse.
>>
>>39599252

Forgot to mention I had 103 degree fever too. They kept holding the antipyretic away because it's only supposed to be given 3 times a day. So 8 hours? It has been 10 hours.

>>39599267
I'm confined in a private room. Was admitted because of high fever, chills, tonsillitis, difficulty breathing and bacterial infection in the throat.

>>39599276

I try but nothing comes out.

>>39599339
I was just asking for some ibuprofen for the pain
>>
>>39599354
That's bullshit. A gram of paracetamol is given up to four times a day and even more often with a fever that high.

I'm guessing they're really busy because getting some ibuprofen shouldn't be that hard to prescribe unless you have a history of stomach pain or ulcers in the stomach.
>>
>>39599354
Are you on isolation precautions? Do they have to wear masks and gowns when they come in the room?
They might just be like "fuck I don't want to put on all this shit for some Tylenol" kek
In all seriousness you're just kinda stuck in a shitty situation. You just aren't sick enough to be considered priority, but I hope you get better soon.
>>
>>39599233
Is this happening now? It's a weekend so the staff is reduced. Maybe something acute has happened elsewhere.
>>
>>39599392
They put me off the paracetamol last night to test something. I woke up with my hands, feet and stomach numb and they started to curl and move uncontrollably. They hooked me on oxygen and gave me some meds before I passed out.

I was supposed to be an out patient but my CBC indicated very low potassium and high white blood cell count and creatinine.

>>39599409
Yeah. I might have to ask my mom to get me out.
>>
>>39599457
If you're isolated you're not leaving friendo.

Also did you get red or swollen? Sound like you maybe had an allergic reaction to the paracetamol if they put you on fucking oxygen because of it.
>>
People already mentioned most of the real reasons, but they will also not rush if they perceive you to be a whiny little bitch rather than in genuine pain.
>>
>>39599276
kek
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.