[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How accurate do you guys think a heartrate monitor / fitness

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

How accurate do you guys think a heartrate monitor / fitness tracker is at calculating calorie expenditure?

I'm trying to lose about 10 lbs (170 to 160, I'm 24 and 6'0"). Problem is, my activity levels are up and down a lot because of work... Some days, I have time to go for a run, go to work, and go rock climbing. Others, it's just desk job and sleep. Aiming for a cal deficit of 500-750, but with my exercise up and down, it's hard to follow a formula like the fit wiki's (weight in lbs * 100) to calculate expenditure, and I feel like shit if I work out a bunch and eat 1300 cals.

Thoughts?
>>
>>39577964
>he needs a tracker
>>
work out your expenditure for a typical day of low activity, and work off that, anything else you burn is a bonus.

eating 1300kcals will make you feel like crap even without exercise unless you're a 5'2 woman. so on days you're doing a lot, just eat a little more. use your noggin. you don't have to be super accurate, just eat less than you use and you'll use up fat. if you're losing it too slow, eat less. feel crap, eat more.
>>
>>39578688
check em

I didnt even answer your original question. You know how you use one of those online calculators for working out your tdee or calories burned doing an exercise for a certain amount of time, and you think the number is probably somewhere in the right area of what was actually burned, but not exactly accurate? Well heart rate monitors are the same.

I used a Polar FT4 for a couple weeks, it was one of those chest straps, a hell of a lot more accurate than those wristbands. and when I'd done my run or whatever, I'd get a calories burned number, and I'd just think "it's probably close enough". I tested it a couple times and the numbers from online calculators and the number from the HRM was in roughly the same area.

they're a toy and don't do a whole lot. I'd definitely question every number I got from it as much as these online calculators just because wristbands aren't great anyway. If you got the spare cash and really do have a wildly varying amount of activity every day, it'll give you an idea of what you've burned.
>>
>>39577964

I purchased a Fitbit Charge last year for that sweet cardio. It kinda fun, less annoying than a big watch. That being said the heart rate seems a bit off by more or less 15 bpm. However when you check the infos on a longer period of time like a week it's still is useful.

Pic related is the Fitbit Charge 2, according to them they added a more accurate heart rate monitor to it, especially when it comes to real time info.

I don't really know about the other brands, but this one seems like the safest pick. It's a good one but probably not the best.
>>
I own a vivoactive smartwatch and it's the best purchase I've ever done, very accurate and its not only for working out, I get notifications, weather, media player controller, I got a timer app, countdown app, google maps and a workout app, anyways it's worth it. Plus the pedmeter works great and it auto deducts my net calorie intake
>>
>>39578905
SHILL ALERT SHILL ALERT IGNORE THE SHILL
>>
>>39578940

xd well memed back to /b/
>>
>>39578766
>>39578853
Thanks guys. I'm asking cause I got pic related as a gift and was wondering how much to trust it. I'll roll with it for a while and see how it goes.
>>
>>39578946
not >>39578940 this guy, but you REALLY do sound like a shill.

>>39578969
Ah cool if you got one for free that's great, give it a go, work out you tdee, try and track exercise using calculators, see how close your band comes.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.